The zettabyte is a multiple of the unit byte for digital information. The prefix zetta indicates multiplication by the seventh power of 1000 or 1021 in the International System of Units (SI). Therefore one zettabyte is one sextillion (one long scale trilliard) bytes. The unit symbol is ZB.
- 1 ZB = 10007bytes = 1021bytes = 1000000000000000000000bytes = 1000exabytes = 1billionterabytes.
A related unit, the zebibyte (ZiB), using a binary prefix, means 10247bytes.
- GUID Partition Table (GPT) allows for a maximum disk and partition size of 9.4 zettabytes, or 8 zebibytes, when using 512-byte sectors.
- ZFS allows for a maximum storage capacity of 256 quadrillion zettabytes.
Comparisons for scale
- The combined space of all computer hard drives in the world was estimated at approximately 160 exabytes in 2006. As of 2009, the entire World Wide Web was estimated to contain close to 500 exabytes. This is one half zettabyte. This has increased rapidly however, as Seagate Technology reported selling a total capacity of 330 exabytes of hard drives during the 2011 Fiscal Year.
- The world's technological capacity to receive information through one-way broadcast networks was 0.432 zettabytes of (optimally compressed) information in 1986, 0.715 in 1993, 1.2 in 2000, and 1.9 (optimally compressed) zettabytes in 2007 (this is the informational equivalent to every person on earth receiving 174 newspapers per day).
- According to International Data Corporation, the total amount of global data was expected to grow to 2.7 zettabytes during 2012. This is an increase of 48% from 2011.
- Mark Liberman calculated the storage requirements for all human speech ever spoken at 42 zettabytes if digitized as 16 kHz 16-bit audio. This was done in response to a popular expression that states "all words ever spoken by human beings" could be stored in approximately 5 exabytes of data (see exabyte for details). Liberman did freely confess that "maybe the authors [of the exabyte estimate] were thinking about text".
- Research from the University of Southern California reports that in 2007, humankind successfully sent 1.9 zettabytes of information through broadcast technology such as televisions and GPS.
Mon, 29 Sep 2014 03:07:27 -0700
Seagate has published a new infographic, created by XO Communications, which claims that 2016 will be "the year of the Zettabyte". The storage firm seems to be rubbing its hands with glee while eyeing this predicted increase in data transfer and thus ...
Tech in Asia
Wed, 01 Oct 2014 05:43:48 -0700
Jubatus is an open-source data analytics tool design to be an alternative to the popular big data processor Hadoop. A zettabyte is the data equivalent of space travel's ludicrous speed. The amount is so massive that even if you collected all the data ...
Sat, 27 Sep 2014 21:55:27 -0700
The infographic, above, says that according to Cisco's Visual Networking Index, the "world will cross the Zettabyte threshold of data transferred annually via the Internet by the end of 2016". To put things into an even scarier perspective, 1PB ...
Tue, 30 Sep 2014 01:49:46 -0700
The Zettabyte is, quite obviously, a multiple of the unit byte for digital information, and the prefix 'Zetta' indicates multiplication by the seventh power of 1000 or 1021 in the International System of Units (SI). Therefore, one Zettabyte is one ...
Thu, 23 Oct 2014 03:03:45 -0700
The US market research house International Data Corporation reckons that in 2014 alone, the volume of data generated globally will exceed six zettabytes - one zettabyte is equivalent to roughly 250 billion DVDs. David Prosser reveals the top companies ...
Fri, 03 Oct 2014 04:15:00 -0700
El reto del zettabyte Intentar entender qué significa un zettabyte es complicado. Poner en la mente 10 bytes con 21 ceros por detrás y darle un espacio de almacenamiento a esa ingente cantidad es casi imposible. Sin embargo, el zettabyte será la unidad ...
Sun, 28 Sep 2014 01:24:56 -0700
Ma torniamo a Seagate, che a sua volta si affida ai dati del Visual Networking Index di Cisco e che ci dice come nel 2016 il traffico dati della rete crescerà fino a toccare un ritmo annuale uguale o superiore allo ZettaByte. Giusto per fare due conti ...
SYS-CON Media (press release)
Thu, 23 Oct 2014 16:59:32 -0700
TORONTO, Oct. 23, 2014 /CNW/ - CBC President Hubert Lacroix has shared more details about the corporate-wide job cuts he first announced in June. In a meeting with union leaders, Lacroix said the CBC will lose another 400 jobs by the end of March 2015 ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter