The zettabyte is a multiple of the unit byte for digital information. The prefix zetta indicates the seventh power of 1000 and means 1021 in the International System of Units (SI), and therefore one zettabyte is one sextillion (one long scale trilliard) bytes. The unit symbol is ZB.
1 ZB = 1000000000000000000000bytes = 10007bytes = 1021bytes = 1000exabytes = 1 billion terabytes.
A related unit, the zebibyte (ZiB), using a binary prefix, means 10247bytes.
- GUID Partition Table (GPT) allows for a maximum disk and partition size of 9.4 zettabytes, or 8 zebibytes, when using 512-byte sectors.
- ZFS allows for a maximum storage capacity of 256 quadrillion zettabytes.
First proposed store of zettabyte capacity
On April 12, 2013, Fox News published a story indicating that the new NSA Data Center south of Salt Lake City, UT, will be able to contain up to 5 zettabytes of data, "according to some reports". Randall Munroe criticised these news reports, pointing to this number being equivalent to about 600 times the annual production capacity of the hard drive industry.
Comparisons for scale
As of April 2012hard drives in the world was estimated at approximately 160 exabytes in 2006. As of 2009, the entire World Wide Web was estimated to contain close to 500 exabytes. This is one half zettabyte. This has increased rapidly however, as Seagate Technology reported selling 330 exabytes worth of hard drives during the 2011 Fiscal Year.
, no storage system had achieved one zettabyte of information. The combined space of all computer
As of 2013, the World Wide Web is estimated to have reached 4 Zettabytes.
- The world's technological capacity to receive information through one-way broadcast networks was 0.432 zettabytes of (optimally compressed) information in 1986, 0.715 in 1993, 1.2 in 2000, and 1.9 (optimally compressed) zettabytes in 2007 (this is the informational equivalent to every person on earth receiving 174 newspapers per day).
- Mark Liberman calculated the storage requirements for all human speech ever spoken at 42 zettabytes if digitized as 16 kHz 16-bit audio. This was done in response to a popular expression that states "all words ever spoken by human beings" could be stored in approximately 5 exabytes of data (see exabyte for details). Liberman did freely confess that "maybe the authors [of the exabyte estimate] were thinking about text".
- Research from the University of Southern California reports that in 2007, humankind successfully sent 1.9 zettabytes of information through broadcast technology such as televisions and GPS.
- ^ Tom Burton (2008-01-31). "Zettabyte flood predicted for 2015".
- ^ Lucas Mearian (2007-03-06). "A zettabyte by 2010: Corporate data grows fiftyfold in three years". Computerworld.
- ^ Lucas Mearian (2008-03-11). "Study: Digital universe and its impact bigger than we thought". Computerworld.
- ^ "Internet Traffic to Reach a Zettabyte by 2015, Says Study". 2008-01-31.
- ^ Bret Swanson & George Gilder (2008-01-29). "The Impact of Video and Rich Media on the Internet – A ‘zettabyte’ by 2015?". Discovery Institute.
- ^ "FAQ: Drive Partition Limits" (PDF). UEFI Forum. 2010-06-09. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- ^ Roderick W. Smith (2012-07-03). "Make the most of large drives with GPT and Linux". IBM. Retrieved 2013-05-29. "Disk pointers are 64 bits in size, meaning that GPT can handle disks of up to 512 x 264 bytes (8 zebibytes, or 8.6 billion TiB), assuming 512-byte sectors."
- ^ "Oracle Solaris ZFS Administration Guide". Oracle Corporation. Retrieved July 27, 2013.
- ^ Catherine Herridge (April 12, 2013). "NSA data center front and center in debate over liberty, security and privacy". Fox News Channel.
- ^ http://what-if.xkcd.com/63/.
- ^ "Worldwide External Disk production".
- ^ John F. Gantz (March 2007). "An IDC White Paper: The Expanding Digital Universe" (PDF). EMC.
- ^ Richard Wray (2009-05-18). "Internet data heads for 500bn gigabytes". The Guardian.
- ^ Douglas Perry (2011-07-22). "The Average HDD is Now 590 GB in Capacity". Tom's Hardware.
- ^ Richard Currier (2013-06-21). "In 2013 the amount of data generated worldwide will reach four zettabytes".
- ^ Martin Hilbert and Priscila López (2011-02-10). "The World’s Technological Capacity to Store, Communicate, and Compute Information". University of Vermont. Vol. 332 no. 6025 pp. 60-65
- ^ Martin Hilbert (2011-06-11). "World_info_capacity_animation". Youtube.
- ^ "IDC Predicts 2012 Will Be the Year of Mobile and Cloud Platform Wars as IT Vendors Vie for Leadership While the Industry Redefines Itself". IDC. 2011-12-01.
- ^ Mark Liberman (2003-11-03). "Zettascale Linguistics". University of Pennsylvania. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- ^ Suzanne Wu (2011-02-10). "How Much Information Is There in the World?". University of Southern California.
- ^ Roger E. Bohn & James E. Short (January 2010). "How Much Information? 2009 Report on American Consumers". University of California, San Diego.
Data Center Knowledge
Data Center Knowledge
Wed, 04 Dec 2013 05:41:15 -0800
It's no secret that storage needs will continue to grow in the upcoming years. In fact, research from IDC projects installed raw storage to exceed 7 zettabytes (each zettabyte is 1 million petabytes) by 2017 as part of a staggering 16 ZB digital ...
Smart Data Collective
Mon, 02 Dec 2013 11:02:08 -0800
How do you explain how much does an Exabyte hold or even a Zettabyte? In addition, how do we store all that data? This infographic, developed by datascience@berkley, shows some real-life examples to help explain the scope of data. They have also ...
Tue, 03 Dec 2013 00:40:30 -0800
Internet traffic is expected to hit 1 zettabyte [1bn terabytes] by 2015 and if all the data from one zettabyte were downloaded onto Blu-ray discs, it would weigh the same as 11 large aircraft carriers. "Global regulation and compliance rules ...
Mon, 02 Dec 2013 18:08:50 -0800
Kimerling cited Cisco's forecast of the arrival of zettabyte traffic (1021 bytes/s) bandwidth demand by as early 2015 as a likely justification for the communications sector needing silicon photonics-based data handling chips. He commented, “So ...
Tue, 19 Nov 2013 11:08:29 -0800
Earlier this year, Cisco published its Visual Networking Index – estimating that by 2015, annual global IP traffic will pass the zettabyte threshold. Much of this represents the activities and movements of real, living people. Short of a global ...
Sun, 24 Nov 2013 10:05:50 -0800
To offer our Kickstarter backers even MORE opportunity to learn to utilize the Unity engine veteran game developer Will Corwin is adding Zettabyte to the fray. Zettabyte is the star of his series of advanced, JRPG-focused interactive tutorials in which ...
Tue, 12 Nov 2013 22:02:49 -0800
The infographic by datascience@berkeley on Visual.ly begins with the humble bit and works its way up in file size all the way to zettabyte and yottabyte. A yottabyte is equal to 1,000 zettabytes and one yottabyte is the size of the entire world wide ...
Wed, 13 Nov 2013 05:07:30 -0800
One thousand exabyte is equal to a zettabyte, which is about 250 billion DVDs. And finally 1,000 ZB is equal to one yottabyte or the entire World Wide Web. If you were to download the entire content of the WWW using a standard broadband connection, ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about Zettabyte with people all over the world in our discussions.