The zettabyte is a multiple of the unit byte for digital information. The prefix zetta indicates multiplication by the seventh power of 1000 or 1021 in the International System of Units (SI). A zettabyte is one sextillion (one long scale trilliard) bytes. The unit symbol is ZB.
- 1 ZB = 10007bytes = 1021bytes = 1000000000000000000000bytes = 1000exabytes = 1millionpetabytes = 1billionterabytes = 1trilliongigabytes.
A related unit, the zebibyte (ZiB), using a binary prefix, is equal to 10247bytes.
- GUID Partition Table (GPT) allows for a maximum disk and partition size of 7.02 zettabytes, or 5.946 zebibytes, when using 512-byte sectors.
- ZFS allows for a maximum storage capacity of 256 quadrillion zettabytes.
Comparisons for scale
- The combined space of all computer hard drives in the world was estimated at approximately 160 exabytes in 2006. As of 2009, the entire World Wide Web was estimated to contain close to 500 exabytes. This is one half zettabyte. This has increased rapidly however, as Seagate Technology reported selling a total capacity of 330 exabytes of hard drives during the 2011 Fiscal Year.
- In 2013, one expert estimated that the amount of data generated worldwide would reach 4 zettabytes by the end of that year.
- The world's technological capacity to receive information through one-way broadcast networks was 0.432 zettabytes of (optimally compressed) information in 1986, 0.715 in 1993, 1.2 in 2000, and 1.9 (optimally compressed) zettabytes in 2007 (this is the informational equivalent to every person on earth receiving 174 newspapers per day).
- According to International Data Corporation, the total amount of global data was expected to grow to 2.7 zettabytes during 2012. This is an increase of 48% from 2011.
- Mark Liberman calculated the storage requirements for all human speech ever spoken at 42 zettabytes if digitized as 16 kHz 16-bit audio. This was done in response to a popular expression that states "all words ever spoken by human beings" could be stored in approximately 5 exabytes of data (see exabyte for details). Liberman did freely confess that "maybe the authors [of the exabyte estimate] were thinking about text".
- Research from the University of Southern California reports that in 2007, humankind successfully sent 1.9 zettabytes of information through broadcast technology such as televisions and GPS.
- Research from the University of California, San Diego reports that in 2008, Americans consumed 3.6 zettabytes of information.
- ^ Burton, Tom (2008-01-31). "Zettabyte flood predicted for 2015".
- ^ Mearian, Lucas (2007-03-06). "A zettabyte by 2010: Corporate data grows fiftyfold in three years". Computerworld.
- ^ Mearian, Lucas (2008-03-11). "Study: Digital universe and its impact bigger than we thought". Computerworld.
- ^ "Internet Traffic to Reach a Zettabyte by 2015, Says Study". 2008-01-31.
- ^ Swanson, Bret; Gilder, George (2008-01-29). "The Impact of Video and Rich Media on the Internet: A ‘zettabyte’ by 2015?". Discovery Institute.
- ^ "FAQ: Drive Partition Limits" (PDF). UEFI Forum. 2010-06-09. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 22, 2013. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- ^ Roderick W. Smith (2012-07-03). "Make the most of large drives with GPT and Linux". IBM. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
Disk pointers are 64 bits in size, meaning that GPT can handle disks of up to 512 x 264 bytes (8 zebibytes, or 8.6 billion TiB), assuming 512-byte sectors.
- ^ "Oracle Solaris ZFS Administration Guide". Oracle Corporation. Retrieved July 27, 2013.
- ^ John F. Gantz (March 2007). "An IDC White Paper: The Expanding Digital Universe" (PDF). EMC. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 10, 2013.
- ^ Richard Wray (2009-05-18). "Internet data heads for 500bn gigabytes". The Guardian.
- ^ Douglas Perry (2011-07-22). "The Average HDD is Now 590 GB in Capacity". Tom's Hardware.
- ^ Richard Currier (2013-06-21). "In 2013 the amount of data generated worldwide will reach four zettabytes".
- ^ Martin Hilbert and Priscila López (2011-02-10). "The World’s Technological Capacity to Store, Communicate, and Compute Information" (PDF). University of Vermont. Vol. 332 no. 6025 pp. 60-65
- ^ Martin Hilbert (2011-06-11). "World_info_capacity_animation". YouTube.
- ^ "IDC Predicts 2012 Will Be the Year of Mobile and Cloud Platform Wars as IT Vendors Vie for Leadership While the Industry Redefines Itself". IDC. 2011-12-01.
- ^ Mark Liberman (2003-11-03). "Zettascale Linguistics". University of Pennsylvania. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- ^ Suzanne Wu (2011-02-10). "How Much Information Is There in the World?". University of Southern California.
- ^ Roger E. Bohn & James E. Short (January 2010). "How Much Information? 2009 Report on American Consumers" (PDF). University of California, San Diego. Archived from the original (PDF) on April 22, 2013.
Unidades: bit, byte, kilobyte, megabyte, gigabyte, terabyte, petabyte, exabyte y zettabyte
Explicación general de las unidades de medida: bit, byte, kilobyte, megabyte, gigabyte, terabyte, petabyte, exabyte y zettabyte.
The Zettabyte Revolution in Video Marketing 2015
http://www.inter-actions.ca The growth of of the internet to Zettabyte proportions will mean explosive opportunities for internet marketers, especially those who ...
Mission Data Analytics: From A to Zettabyte
Raytheon delivers massive data through real-time analytics to ensure customer success in a world of endless data. For more information, visit: ...
My Zettabyte Hard Drive
My Zettabyte Hard Drive Eat You Heart Out Mr. TechnO!
Welcome to the Zettabyte Era - Cisco VNI
Era do Zettabyte
1 Zettabyte = 1 trilhão de gigabytes Até 2016 teremos: Mais da metade do tráfego de IP mundial por Wi-Fi A velocidade média da conexão móvel crescerá 10 ...
Whats The Largest Byte ?
shows you some interesting facts! please subscribe 1 Bit = Binary Digit 8 Bits = 1 Byte 1024 Bytes = 1 Kilobyte 1024 Kilobytes = 1 Megabyte 1024 Megabytes = 1 ...
Day 18: Zettabyte
If you are interested in the Lego M.O.C. creations I've built, click here: http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/14928 Guards, and act as diggers. Facebook ...
Collectible card and battle game for Android and iOS. Has tons of awesome and cute monsters to collect and train. Get it on the Play Store!
Die digitale Datenflut steigt rasant an. Immer größere Dimensionen sind erforderlich, um sie zu beschreiben. Dr. Carlo Velten von der Experton Group erklärt, ...
We're sorry, but there's no news about "Zettabyte" right now.
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.