The zettabyte is a multiple of the unit byte for digital information. The prefix zetta indicates multiplication by the seventh power of 1000 or 1021 in the International System of Units (SI). A zettabyte is one sextillion (one long scale trilliard) bytes. The unit symbol is ZB.
- 1 ZB = 10007bytes = 1021bytes = 1000000000000000000000bytes = 1000exabytes = 1millionpetabytes = 1billionterabytes = 1trilliongigabytes.
A related unit, the zebibyte (ZiB), using a binary prefix, is equal to 10247bytes.
- GUID Partition Table (GPT) allows for a maximum disk and partition size of 7.02 zettabytes, or 5.946 zebibytes, when using 512-byte sectors.
- ZFS allows for a maximum storage capacity of 256 quadrillion zettabytes.
Comparisons for scale
- The combined space of all computer hard drives in the world was estimated at approximately 160 exabytes in 2006. As of 2009, the entire World Wide Web was estimated to contain close to 500 exabytes. This is one half zettabyte. This has increased rapidly however, as Seagate Technology reported selling a total capacity of 330 exabytes of hard drives during the 2011 Fiscal Year.
- In 2013, one expert estimated that the amount of data generated worldwide would reach 4 zettabytes by the end of that year.
- The world's technological capacity to receive information through one-way broadcast networks was 0.432 zettabytes of (optimally compressed) information in 1986, 0.715 in 1993, 1.2 in 2000, and 1.9 (optimally compressed) zettabytes in 2007 (this is the informational equivalent to every person on earth receiving 174 newspapers per day).
- According to International Data Corporation, the total amount of global data was expected to grow to 2.7 zettabytes during 2012. This is an increase of 48% from 2011.
- Mark Liberman calculated the storage requirements for all human speech ever spoken at 42 zettabytes if digitized as 16 kHz 16-bit audio. This was done in response to a popular expression that states "all words ever spoken by human beings" could be stored in approximately 5 exabytes of data (see exabyte for details). Liberman did freely confess that "maybe the authors [of the exabyte estimate] were thinking about text".
- Research from the University of Southern California reports that in 2007, humankind successfully sent 1.9 zettabytes of information through broadcast technology such as televisions and GPS.
- Research from the University of California, San Diego reports that in 2008, Americans consumed 3.6 zettabytes of information.
- ^ Burton, Tom (2008-01-31). "Zettabyte flood predicted for 2015".
- ^ Mearian, Lucas (2007-03-06). "A zettabyte by 2010: Corporate data grows fiftyfold in three years". Computerworld.
- ^ Mearian, Lucas (2008-03-11). "Study: Digital universe and its impact bigger than we thought". Computerworld.
- ^ "Internet Traffic to Reach a Zettabyte by 2015, Says Study". 2008-01-31.
- ^ Swanson, Bret; Gilder, George (2008-01-29). "The Impact of Video and Rich Media on the Internet: A ‘zettabyte’ by 2015?". Discovery Institute.
- ^ "FAQ: Drive Partition Limits" (PDF). UEFI Forum. 2010-06-09. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- ^ Roderick W. Smith (2012-07-03). "Make the most of large drives with GPT and Linux". IBM. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
Disk pointers are 64 bits in size, meaning that GPT can handle disks of up to 512 x 264 bytes (8 zebibytes, or 8.6 billion TiB), assuming 512-byte sectors.
- ^ "Oracle Solaris ZFS Administration Guide". Oracle Corporation. Retrieved July 27, 2013.
- ^ John F. Gantz (March 2007). "An IDC White Paper: The Expanding Digital Universe" (PDF). EMC.
- ^ Richard Wray (2009-05-18). "Internet data heads for 500bn gigabytes". The Guardian.
- ^ Douglas Perry (2011-07-22). "The Average HDD is Now 590 GB in Capacity". Tom's Hardware.
- ^ Richard Currier (2013-06-21). "In 2013 the amount of data generated worldwide will reach four zettabytes".
- ^ Martin Hilbert and Priscila López (2011-02-10). "The World’s Technological Capacity to Store, Communicate, and Compute Information" (PDF). University of Vermont. Vol. 332 no. 6025 pp. 60-65
- ^ Martin Hilbert (2011-06-11). "World_info_capacity_animation". YouTube.
- ^ "IDC Predicts 2012 Will Be the Year of Mobile and Cloud Platform Wars as IT Vendors Vie for Leadership While the Industry Redefines Itself". IDC. 2011-12-01.
- ^ Mark Liberman (2003-11-03). "Zettascale Linguistics". University of Pennsylvania. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- ^ Suzanne Wu (2011-02-10). "How Much Information Is There in the World?". University of Southern California.
- ^ Roger E. Bohn & James E. Short (January 2010). "How Much Information? 2009 Report on American Consumers" (PDF). University of California, San Diego.
Wed, 03 Feb 2016 10:11:15 -0800
It's no real secret that the rise in the world's Internet traffic in recent years has been driven by growth in the use of mobile smartphones. Today's forecast from Cisco Systems, the world's largest supplier of the routing and switching gear that ...
Wed, 10 Feb 2016 22:00:00 -0800
'Dit jaar gaan wij voor het eerst het zettabyte-tijdperk binnen. Een ongelooflijke hoeveelheid data die de komende vijf jaar alleen nog maar zal vermenigvuldigen als meer mensen online gaan, het merendeel van hun tijd mobile en cloud first services ...
Sun, 07 Feb 2016 23:18:45 -0800
La corporation statunitense stima una crescita vertiginosa del traffico mobile, delle reti di nuova generazione e delle connessioni IoT. Gli smartphone si diffondono più del previsto anche nei mercati emergenti ...
Sun, 07 Feb 2016 18:15:50 -0800
Jika disederhanakan, maka singkatnya 1 zettabyte itu setara dengan 1 triliun gigabyte (GB). Bila satu film high definition (HD) berdurasi 2 jam berukuran 1,5 GB, maka 1 zettabyte itu setara dengan 152 juta tahun film HD. Angka yang fantastis, bukan?
Thu, 04 Feb 2016 13:56:15 -0800
Você sabe quanto é 1 zettabyte? Provavelmente não, mas tudo bem. Trata-se de um número absurdo de bytes, aproximadamente 1 sextilhão deles (ou 1 trilhão de gigabytes se facilitar a imaginação). Este número é importante porque 2016 marcará o ano ...
Thu, 04 Feb 2016 06:55:14 -0800
Un Zettabyte es igual a 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 bytes y de acuerdo a las más recientes predicciones de Cisco será la cantidad de tráfico que se transmita vía el internet durante el 2016, obliterando todos los niveles anteriores de transmisión de ...
Tue, 22 Dec 2015 06:03:45 -0800
By the end of 2016, Cisco estimates that Internet traffic will bypass 1 zettabyte. For those who think of storage in the relatable terms of a smartphone, a zettabyte is 1,000 exabytes, which translates into 1 trillion gigabytes—or roughly 300 trillion ...
Thu, 11 Feb 2016 05:52:30 -0800
MarFS supports trillions of files and individual files in the zettabyte (one billion terabyte) range. As Gary Grider, High Performance Computing Division Leader at Los Alamos, puts it, “MarFS provides a much needed Data Lake that can contain years of ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.