|Also Spelled||Jabneel, Iamnia, Jamnia|
|Date of depopulation||4 June 1948|
|Cause(s) of depopulation||Military assault by Yishuv forces|
|Secondary cause||Expulsion by Yishuv forces|
|Current localities||YavneBeit Raban, Kfar HaNagid Beit Gamliel|
Yibna (Arabic: يبنى, in Biblical times, Jabneel, in Roman times, Iamnia, Jamnia, or Yavne, and in the Crusades, Ibelin) was a Palestinian village of 5,420 inhabitants, located 15 kilometers southwest of Ramla. Yibna was occupied by Israeli forces on June 4, 1948, and was depopulated during the military assault and expulsion.
Al-Muqaddasi, writing around 985, said that "Yubna has a beautiful mosque. From this place come the excellent figs known by the name of Damascene." Yaqut wrote that in Yubna there was a tomb said to be that of Abu Hurairah, the companion (sahaba) of the Prophet. The author of Marasid also adds that tomb seen here is also said to be that of ´Abd Allah ibn Abi Sarh, another companion (sahaba) of the Prophet. A mosque built in 1386 survives until today.
In 1596, Yibna was part of the Ottoman Empire, nahiya (subdistrict) of Gaza under the liwa' (district) of Gaza with a population of 710. It paid taxes on a number of crops, including wheat, barley, summer crops, sesame seeds and fruits, as well as goats, beehives and vineyards.
The American missionary, William Thomson, who visited Yibna in 1834, described it as a village on hill inhabited by 3,000 Muslim residents who worked in agriculture. He wrote that an inscription on the mosque indicated that it had been built in 1386.
In the late nineteenth century, the Yibna was described as a large village partly built of stone and situated on a hill. It had olive trees and corn to the north, and gardens nearby.
In 1921, an elementary school for boys was founded in Yibna. By 1941-42 it had 445 students. A school for girls was founded in 1943, and by 1948 it had 44 students.
In 1944/45 the village had a population of 5,420, in addition to 1,500 nomads living around the village. A total of 6,468 dunums of village land was used for citrus and bananas, 15,124 dunums were used for cereals, and 11,091 dunums were irrigated or used for orchards, of which 25 dunums were planted with olive trees.
After 1948 
After 1948, a number of Israeli villages were founded on Yibna land: Kfar HaNagid and Beit Gamliel in 1949, Ben Zakai in 1950, Kfar Aviv (originally: "Kfar HaYeor") in 1951, Tzofiyya in 1955. According to Walid Khalidi, a railroad crosses the village. The old mosque and minaret, together with a shrine can still be seen, and some of the old houses are inhabited by Jewish and Arab families.
Archaeological excavations in modern day Yavne found three wall segments probably from buildings in the pre-1948 Arab village of Yibna, alongside an unguentarium dating to the Early Roman period. In Square A, where artifacts from the Byzantine and Roman eras were found, it is noted that "part of the Arab village at Yibna also extended on top of the cemetery and refuse pits from the Byzantine period to the foot of the tell."
Artistic representations 
Palestinian artist Sliman Mansour made Yibna the subject of one of his paintings. The work, named for the village, was one of a series of four on destroyed Palestinian villages that he produced in 1988; the others being Yalo, Imwas and Bayt Dajan.
Notable residents 
See also 
- List of Arab towns and villages depopulated during the 1948 Arab-Israeli War
- Palestinian cultural club
- Morris, 2004, p.xix, village #255. Also gives the cause(s) for depopulation
- Morris, 2004, p.xxi, settlement #75
- Khalidi, 1992, p.421
- The conquered towns included "Ghazzah (Gaza), Sabastiyah (Samaria), Nabulus (Shechem), Kaisariyyah (Cæsarea), Ludd (Lydda), Bayt Jibrin, Amwas (Emmaus), Yafa (Joppa), Rafah, and Yibna. (Bil. 138), quoted in le Strange, 1890, p.28
- le Strange, 1890, p.553
- Muk.176, quoted in le Strange, 1890, p.553
- Hütteroth, Wolf-Dieter and Kamal Abdulfattah (1977), Historical Geography of Palestine, Transjordan and Southern Syria in the Late 16th Century. Erlanger Geographische Arbeiten, Sonderband 5. Erlangen, Germany: Vorstand der Fränkischen Geographischen Gesellschaft. p. 143. Quoted in Khalidi, 1992, p. 421
- Thompson (1880), I:145-49. Quoted in Khalidi, 1992, p.421
- see also p 638 in W. M. Thomson (1861): The Land and the Book ; Or, Biblical Illustrations Drawn from the Manners and Customs, the Scenes and Scenery of the Holy Land
- Conder and Kitchener, 1881, SWP II p.414. Quoted in Khalidi, 1992, p.421
- Hadawi, 1970, p.117
- Khalidi, 1992, p 423
- Aviva Buchennino (08/01/2006). "Yavne". Hadashot Arkheologiyot (Israeli Antiquities Authority). Retrieved 2007-12-08.
- Ankori, 2006, p. 82.
- Ankori, Gannit (2006). Palestinian Art. Reaktion Books. ISBN 1-86189-259-4
- Conder, Claude Reignier and H.H. Kitchener (1881): The Survey of Western Palestine: memoirs of the topography, orography, hydrography, and archaeology. London:Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund. vol 2
- Guérin, M. V. (1869): Description géographique, historique et archéologique de la Palestine. Judee (p.55 )
- Hadawi, Sami (1970). Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine. Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center.
- Khalidi, Walid (1992). All that Remains. Washington DC: Institute for Palestine Studies. ISBN 0-88728-224-5.
- le Strange, Guy (1890). Palestine Under the Moslems: A Description of Syria and the Holy Land from A.D. 650 to 1500. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Morris, Benny (2004). The Birth of the Palestinian Refugee Problem Revisited. ISBN 978-0-521-00967-6.
- Petersen, Andrew (2002). A Gazetteer of Buildings in Muslim Palestine: Volume I (British Academy Monographs in Archaeology). Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-727011-0. (Yibna; p. 313 -319 )
- Pringle, Denys (1997). Secular buildings in the Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem: an archaeological Gazetter. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-46010-1. p.108
- Noy Velednizki (2004): Yavne Final Report Hadashot Arkheologiyot – Excavations and Surveys in Israel, No.116
- Ofer Sion (2005): Tel Yavne Final Report Hadashot Arkheologiyot – Excavations and Surveys in Israel, No.117
- Raz Kletter (2004): Yavne Final Report, Hadashot Arkheologiyot – Excavations and Surveys in Israel, No.118
- Welcome to Yibna
- Yibna at Khalil Sakakini Cultural Center
- Yousef Al Hums: 60 Years and Counting, WREMEA, May–June 2008