||This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2013)
"Woke Up This Morning" is a song by English band Alabama 3 from their 1997 album Exile on Coldharbour Lane. The song was used as the opening theme music for the HBO drama series The Sopranos which used the "Chosen One Mix".
Background and writing
Described as "a propulsive hip-hop song complete with Howlin' Wolf samples and a swelling gospel choir", the song has been cited as a paradigmatic example of a "great theme song", which "generates anticipation, immediately puts the viewer in a focused frame of mind, and creates the kind of sonic familiarity that breeds audience loyalty." Alabama 3 frontman Rob Spragg wrote the song after hearing about the 1996 murder case of Sara Thornton, who stabbed her husband after 2 years of abuse, mistreatment and neglect. The song is co-written with Jake Black.
The song is in 4/4 time and in the key of F minor. It uses combinations of other styles such as techno, and blues. During the breakdown, there's an electronic chord progression in F major while the lyrics' melodic line is in F minor. It fades out with the electric chord progression in the tonic major.
Use in other media
- A remixed version of "Woke Up This Morning" plays during the opening credits of the HBO television series The Sopranos.
- On the Region 4 DVD release of season one of the Sopranos, the music video to "Woke Up This Morning" is included as a special feature: it is incorrectly credited as being performed by "Alabama 5".
- A shortened alternate version of "Woke Up This Morning" can be heard for nearly 50 seconds in The Simpsons episode "Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge", while Fat Tony and his gang are on the ride to the Simpsons' house. The sequence is a parody of the opening sequence of The Sopranos. "Woke Up This Morning" is also in the later Simpsons episode "The Mook, the Chef, the Wife and Her Homer", which guest-starred Sopranos regulars Michael Imperioli and Joe Pantoliano.
- Rapper Nas sampled "Woke Up This Morning" for his 2001 hit "Got Ur Self A...."
- "Woke Up This Morning" was used in an episode of the BBC series Top Gear, in which the team were driving through Florida.
- "Woke Up This Morning" was used in the episode "Ghosts" (season 2, episode 8) of the Netflix series Lilyhammer, in which Frank Tagliano (Steven Van Zandt) and his Norwegian crew are driving through New York City.
- The song is parodied in the The Dabba Don episode of Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law, which itself parodies various mob stereotypes, including the Sopranos, and the Flintstones.
- Jazz pianist Taylor Eigsti has a rendition of 'Woke Up This Morning' on his 'Lucky to Be Me' CD.
- ^ Murray Smith, "Just What Is It That Makes Tony Soprano Such An Appealing, Attractive Murderer", in Ward E. Jones and Samantha Vice, eds., Ethics at the Cinema (Oxford University Press, 2010), ISBN 978-0199793167, p. 78. Excerpts available at Google Books.
- ^ Ron Sobel and Dick Weissman, Music Publishing: The Roadmap to Royalties (Routledge, 2008), ISBN 978-0203895689, p. 101. Excerpts available at Google Books.
- ^ Duncan Campbell, "Face off", The Guardian, September 27, 2007.
- ^ David Johannson, "Homeward Bound" Those Soprano Titles Come Heavy", in David Lavery, ed., Reading The Sopranos: Hit TV from HBO (I.B. Tauris, 2006), ISBN 978-1845111212, pp. 35-36. Excerpts available at Google Books.
- ^ Gerard Gilbert, "TV credit where credits are due", The Independent, June 14, 2011.
The Sopranos theme song - Woke up this morning
By Alabama 3.
[The Sopranos] Alabama 3 - Woke Up This Morning - lyrics
R.I.P James Gandolfini Born: September 18, 1961 Died: June 19, 2013 (aged 51) Theme song for one of the best TV shows ever.
Kid Ink - Woke Up This Morning ft Devin Cruise
Kid Ink - Woke Up This Morning ft Devin Cruise Kid Ink - Woke Up This Morning Kid Ink - Woke Up This Morning Kid Ink - Woke Up This Morning Kid Ink - Woke Up...
Kid Ink - "Woke Up This Morning" ft. Devin Cruise .
Kid Ink Woke Up This Morning ft. Devin Cruise Kid Ink Woke Up This Morning Kid Ink Woke Up This Morning Kid Ink Woke Up This Morning Kid Ink Woke Up This Mor...
Alabama 3 - Woke Up This Morning (Chosen One)
Alabama 3 are a British band mixing rock, dance, blues, country, and gospel styles, founded in Brixton, London, in 1995. In the United States, they are known...
Alabama 3 - Woke Up This Morning
You woke up this morning Got yourself a gun, Mama always said you'd be The Chosen One. She said: You're one in a million You've got to burn to shine, But you...
Alabama 3 - Woke up This Morning
the original video from "exile in coldharbour lane" Promotional use Only.
Kid Ink | Feat. Devin Cruise - Woke Up This Morning 2014
Kid Ink | Feat. Devin Cruise - Woke Up This Morning 2014 Kid Ink | Feat. Devin Cruise - Woke Up This Morning 2014 Kid Ink unleashes the "My Own Lane" leftove...
(Kid Ink) - *Woke Up This Morning*. (Kid Ink) Woke Up This Morning.
Kid Ink - Woke Up This Morning Kid Ink - Woke Up This Morning Kid Ink - Woke Up This Morning Kid Ink - Woke Up This Morning Kid Ink - Woke Up This Morning Ki...
A3 Woke Up This Morning - with spoken intro
Lyrics from http://www.leoslyrics.com/listlyrics.php?hid=FDhdMvbhB0I%3D [Spoken:] And after three days of drinking at Durbahlove, I just get an inkling to go...
Wed, 26 Feb 2014 11:07:30 -0800
In honor of reaching 500,000 Twitter followers, Kid Ink has liberated a leftover from his My Own Lane recording sessions. On “Woke Up This Morning” featuring Devin Cruise, the L.A. rapper recounts his wild night at the strip club and looks forward to ...
Sun, 09 Feb 2014 17:00:35 -0800
I woke up this morning and knew I could win this race. I was smiling the whole day, throughout inspection. It was my day.” For the Blue Riband of the games, the men's downhill has an eccentric history of throwing up shock winners. France's Jean-Luc ...
Thu, 13 Feb 2014 05:07:30 -0800
A catastrophic, record-breaking ice storm engulfed the southeastern United States starting on Wednesday and slowly creeping its way north by Thursday morning. Thousands of residents in the South woke up this morning to widespread blackouts, inch-thick ...
Thu, 06 Mar 2014 13:37:08 -0800
... stories and videos. "I woke up this morning and saw that all the little red notification flags on this page were bearing numbers larger than I have ever seen them have," Jennifer Cunningham wrote on Tuesday. "I can't believe how big my little page ...
Thu, 06 Mar 2014 08:11:50 -0800
“I woke up this morning and I'm trying to go to work when I find out they broke into my car. The got into like forty something cars,” said Raymond Lopez. “Fortunately they didn't take anything from my car but it's a bad thing in a building, a private ...
Wed, 05 Mar 2014 17:18:45 -0800
(Good Lord, you woke up this morning! Shouldn't you be grateful for THAT?) Sorry, I digress. There are the little things that have been coming to my attention, like this great quote from Thomas Merton's The Sign of Jonas: "I ought to know, by now, that ...
Otago Daily Times
Otago Daily Times
Thu, 06 Mar 2014 11:52:30 -0800
English rapper Tinie Tempah made it clear he was happy to be in Dunedin for the first time when he played at Forsyth Barr Stadium last night. ''I woke up this morning to find myself on the front page of the Otago Daily Times. I've made it. I'm here ...
Mon, 03 Mar 2014 05:24:58 -0800
"We woke up this morning to find that, for the most part, the vast majority of the city was covered with ice, including the roads that were treated yesterday," Cherepko said Monday. "We've been rationing our salt for a few weeks and we said, 'Well, we ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about Woke Up This Morning with people all over the world in our discussions.