|Born||1 March 1943
|Awards||J. Anthony Lukas Book Prize (2000)
Vincent Scully Prize (2007)
Early life 
Rybczynski was born in Edinburgh of Polish parentage and raised in Surrey, England before moving at a young age to Canada. He attended Loyola High School (Montreal), located on Sherbrooke street, in Montreal-Ouest. He received Bachelor of Architecture (1966) and Master of Architecture (1972) degrees from McGill University in Montreal.
Rybczynski has written more than 300 articles and papers on the subject of housing, architecture, and technology, many of which are aimed at a non-technical readership and have earned considerable readership and respect, in a wide variety of magazines, including The Wilson Quarterly, The Atlantic Monthly, and The New Yorker. From 2004 to 2010, he was architecture critic for Slate.
He taught at McGill University (1974-1993) and the University of Pennsylvania (1993-2012). He served on the U. S. Commission of Fine Arts from 2004 to 2012. He now lives in Philadelphia and is Emeritus Professor of Architecture at the University of Pennsylvania.
Awards and recognition 
His book A Clearing in the Distance: Frederick Law Olmsted and North America in the Nineteenth Century won the J. Anthony Lukas Book Prize and was short-listed for the Charles Taylor Prize in 2000.
He is an honorary fellow of the American Institute of Architects, and an honorary member of the American Society of Landscape Architects. He has received the AIA Collaborative Honors, and the Pennsylvania AIA President's Award.
He holds honorary doctorates from McGill University and the University of Western Ontario.
- Paper Heroes: Appropriate Technology: Panacea or Pipe Dream? (1980)
- Taming the Tiger: The Struggle to Control Technology (1983)
- Home: A Short History of an Idea (1986)
- The Most Beautiful House in the World (1989)
- Waiting for the Weekend (1991)
- McGill: A Celebration (1991)
- Looking Around: A Journey Through Architecture (1992)
- A Place for Art/Un lieu pour l'art: The Architecture of the National Gallery of Canada (1993)
- City Life: Urban expectations in a new world (1995)
- A Clearing in the Distance: Frederick Law Olmsted and North America in the Nineteenth Century (1999)
- One Good Turn: A Natural History of the Screwdriver and the Screw (2000)
- The Look of Architecture (2001)
- The Perfect House: A Journey with Renaissance Master Andrea Palladio (2002)
- Vizcaya: An American Villa and Its Makers (2006), co-written with Laurie Olin
- Last Harvest: How A Cornfield Became New Daleville: Real Estate Development in America (2007)
- My Two Polish Grandfathers: And Other Essays on the Imaginative Life (2009)
- Makeshift Metropolis: Ideas About Cities (2010)
- The Biography of a Building: How Robert Sainsbury and Norman Foster Built a Great Museum (2011)
See also 
- Canadian Who's who 2008
- "Authors: Witold Rybczynski". The Atlantic.
- "Authors: Witold Rybczynski". Slate.
- "Martin and Margy Meyerson Professor Emeritus of Urbanism, Director, Real Estate Design & Development Certificate". University of Pennsylvania.
- "J. Anthony Lukas Prize Project winners". Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- Design Futures Council Senior Fellows http://www.di.net/about/senior_fellows/
- Official website
- Author page at Penguin Canada
- Faculty page at University of Pennsylvania
- Author page at Simon & Schuster
- Booknotes interview with Rybczynski on Clearing, October 17, 1999.