William John McGee, LL.D. (April 17, 1853 – September 4, 1912) was an American inventor, geologist, anthropologist, and ethnologist, born in Farley, Iowa.
He was self-educated, devoting his early years to reading law and to surveying. He invented and patented several improvements on agricultural implements.
McGee subsequently turned his attention to geology. In 1877–1881, he executed a topographic and geological survey of 17,000 square miles (44,030 km²) in northeastern Iowa. He then undertook an examination of the loess of the Mississippi Valley, researched the great quaternary lakes of Nevada and California and studied a recent fault movement in the middle Atlantic slope.
He was appointed geologist for the United States Geological Survey (USGS) in 1881. In 1884 McGee authored the article Map of the United States exhibiting the present status of knowledge relating to the areal distribution of geologic groups for the USGS Journal. While with the USGS, McGee travelled to Charleston, South Carolina, in 1886 for the purpose of studying the earthquake disturbances in its vicinity.
McGee was ethnologist in charge of the Bureau of American Ethnology from 1893 to 1903. In 1895, he explored the Isla del Tiburón, Gulf of California, home of the Seri Indians. In 1904 he was chief of the department of anthropology at the Louisiana Purchase Exposition, the 1904 World's Fair, and in 1907 he was appointed a member of the Inland Waterways Commission by President Roosevelt. His other prominent positions were: acting president of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (1897–1898); president of the American Anthropological Association (1902–1912); and president of the National Geographic Society (1904–1905).
His publications include:
- The Pleistocene History of Northeastern Iowa (1889)
- The Geology of Chesapeake Bay (1888)
- The Siouan Indians (1895)
- Primitive Trephining (1897)
- The Seri Indians (1899)
- Primitive Numbers (1901)
- Soil Erosion (1911)
- Wells and Subsoil Water (1913)
- ^ "BIOGRAPHIES OF GEOLOGISTS" (PDF). Ohio State University Libraries. Retrieved 2011-06-25.
- ^ a b c d Wilson, James Grant; Fiske, John, eds. (1900). "McGee, W J". Appletons' Cyclopædia of American Biography. New York: D. Appleton.
- ^ McGee, W.J. and Call, R.E. 1882. “On the löss and associated deposits of Des Moines, Iowa.” The American Journal of Science, 3rd Series, Whole no. 124, 24(141):202-223.
- ^ McGee, W.J. 1884. “The drainage system and the distribution of loess of Eastern Iowa.” Bulletin of the Philosophical Society of Washington 6:93-97.
- ^ McGee, W.J. 1891. “The Pleistocene history of northeastern Iowa.” In: Powell, J.W. (ed), Eleventh Annual Report of the Director of the United States Geological Survey, Part 1: 1889-1890, pp. 199-577.
- ^ "Map of the United States exhibiting the present status of knowledge relating to the areal distribution of geologic groups". U.S. Geological Survey Annual report 5: pages 34–41. 1884.
- ^ McGee, W.J. and Johnson, W.D. 1896. Seriland. The National Geographic Magazine 7(4):125-133.
- ^ Nate DiMeo, Olympic-Sized Racism, Slate.com
- ^ Donald J. Pisani, Water Planning in the Progressive Era: The Inland Waterways Commission Reconsidered, Journal of Policy History 18.4 (2006) pp.389-418
How to pronounce William John Mcgee (American English/US) - PronounceNames.com
Audio and video pronunciation of William John Mcgee brought to you by Pronounce Names (http://www.pronouncenames.com), a website dedicated to helping people ...
الرجل القرد | جريمة أمريكية لن تنساها البشرية
( أوتا بينغا ) هو قزم من الكونغو تم عرضه فى عام 1904 بحديقة حيوان برونكس بالولايات المتحدة الأمريكية قدموه...
The Tuskegee Experiment - Oral Histories from the Collection of The National WWII Museum
http://www.nationalww2museum.org/ From the collection of oral histories at The National WWII Museum, listen to Charles McGee, William Holloman, John Leahr and Calvin Moret describe their ...
Dr. J. Vernon McGee Refutes Calvinism - Doctrine of Election and Free Will (Part 1)
Dr. McGee calls Calvinism's Doctrine of Election a dangerous and frightful view of God. He also said, if he believed in this doctrine, he'd never attempted to preach the word of God and...
C. Double34 Music & William McGee - He Is Not In Here
The Vocals: William mcgee The Music & Sampling: C. Double34 Music The Sampled Vocals: princeofpeaceyisreal, Paula White, Daryl Hall & John Oates - uploaded v...
Interview with William David McGee, Vietnam war Veteran. CCSU Veteran History Project
Interview conducted on June 11, 2013 by Buckley W. Morgan II. William McGee served in the U.S. Marine Corps during the Vietnam war.To view his collection and explore our other veterans please...
Darker Than Amber (1970) Full Movie
Full movie starring Rod Taylor and William Smith. Directed by Robert Clouse, director of Enter The Dragon. Professional beach bum and 'knight errant' Travis McGee goes up against psychotic...
The story of Jorge (George) from Paraguay
John McGee speaking at 11th international conference on Gentle Teaching, Netherlands, November 2010.
The Entire New Testament
Matthew: 00:00 to 19:50 Mark: 19:51 to 32:41 Luke: 32:42 to 54:08 John: 54:09 to 1:30:40 Acts: 1:30:41 to 2:15:57 Romans 2:15:58 to 2:45:14 1 Corinthians: 2:45:15 to 3:10:59 2 Corinthians:...
Tue, 11 Mar 2014 01:17:32 -0700
Under the instruction of William John McGee, Werner was obliged to take six Pygmy people back to America with him to show at the St Louis World Fair, 1904. A crude shopping list had been written for Werner; “1 Chief, 1 adult woman (preferably the chief ...
Sun, 19 Jan 2014 20:15:29 -0800
În Statele Unite ale Americii, antropologul american William John McGee realiza în 1904 proiectul celei mai mari şi spectaculoase expoziţii de indigeni. Acesta dorea să proiecteze în St.Louis (Missouri) o grădină imensă în care să aducă cei mai înalţi ...
Wed, 18 Jul 2012 14:41:51 -0700
Para los experimentos, Sullivan trabajó con el director de Antropología de la Feria, William John McGee. "Lo que me resulta interesante es que aquellos dos hombres pensaran en las Jornadas Antropológicas con seriedad", dijo a la BBC la profesora de ...
Tue, 17 Jul 2012 04:12:38 -0700
Para os experimentos, Sullivan trabalhou em parceria com o diretor de Antropologia da Feira, William John McGee. "O que para mim é interessante é que aqueles dois homens pensaram as Jornadas Antropológicas com seriedade", disse à BBC Brasil a ...
Thể thao văn hóa
Thể thao văn hóa
Mon, 08 Apr 2013 19:49:07 -0700
nhà truyền giáo Samuel Phillips Verner tưng bừng báo tin trong thư viết ngày 30/3/1904 gửi cho William John McGee. Là một nhà khoa học, McGee vui mừng đón nhận “hiện vật“ quan trọng nhất cho phòng trưng bày kết quả nghiên cứu nhân chủng học tại ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.