William John McGee, LL.D. (April 17, 1853 – September 4, 1912) was an American inventor, geologist, anthropologist, and ethnologist, born in Farley, Iowa.
He was self-educated, devoting his early years to reading law and to surveying. He invented and patented several improvements on agricultural implements.
McGee subsequently turned his attention to geology. In 1877–1881, he executed a topographic and geological survey of 17,000 square miles (44,030 km²) in northeastern Iowa. He then undertook an examination of the loess of the Mississippi Valley, researched the great quaternary lakes of Nevada and California and studied a recent fault movement in the middle Atlantic slope.
He was appointed geologist for the United States Geological Survey (USGS) in 1881. In 1884 McGee authored the article Map of the United States exhibiting the present status of knowledge relating to the areal distribution of geologic groups for the USGS Journal. While with the USGS, McGee travelled to Charleston, South Carolina, in 1886 for the purpose of studying the earthquake disturbances in its vicinity.
McGee was ethnologist in charge of the Bureau of American Ethnology from 1893 to 1903. In 1895, he explored the Isla del Tiburón, Gulf of California, home of the Seri Indians. In 1904 he was chief of the department of anthropology at the Louisiana Purchase Exposition, the 1904 World's Fair, and in 1907 he was appointed a member of the Inland Waterways Commission by President Roosevelt. His other prominent positions were: acting president of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (1897–1898); president of the American Anthropological Association (1902–1912); and president of the National Geographic Society (1904–1905).
His publications include:
- The Pleistocene History of Northeastern Iowa (1889)
- The Geology of Chesapeake Bay (1888)
- The Siouan Indians (1895)
- Primitive Trephining (1897)
- The Seri Indians (1899)
- Primitive Numbers (1901)
- Soil Erosion (1911)
- Wells and Subsoil Water (1913)
Works by William John McGee at Project Gutenberg
- ^ "BIOGRAPHIES OF GEOLOGISTS". Ohio State University Libraries. Retrieved 2011-06-25.
- ^ a b c d Wilson, James Grant; Fiske, John, eds. (1900). "McGee, W J". Appletons' Cyclopædia of American Biography. New York: D. Appleton.
- ^ McGee, W.J. and Call, R.E. 1882. “On the löss and associated deposits of Des Moines, Iowa.” The American Journal of Science, 3rd Series, Whole no. 124, 24(141):202-223.
- ^ McGee, W.J. 1884. “The drainage system and the distribution of loess of Eastern Iowa.” Bulletin of the Philosophical Society of Washington 6:93-97.
- ^ McGee, W.J. 1891. “The Pleistocene history of northeastern Iowa.” In: Powell, J.W. (ed), Eleventh Annual Report of the Director of the United States Geological Survey, Part 1: 1889-1890, pp. 199-577.
- ^ "Map of the United States exhibiting the present status of knowledge relating to the areal distribution of geologic groups". U.S. Geological Survey Annual report 5: pages 34–41. 1884.
- ^ McGee, W.J. and Johnson, W.D. 1896. Seriland. The National Geographic Magazine 7(4):125-133.
- ^ Nate DiMeo, Olympic-Sized Racism, Slate.com
- ^ Donald J. Pisani, Water Planning in the Progressive Era: The Inland Waterways Commission Reconsidered, Journal of Policy History 18.4 (2006) pp.389-418
John Paul McGee preaching
A few clips of Pastor John McGee (Associate Pastor of Music and Ministry Develoment) preaching the Word of God at Hope Fellowship Church in Daytona Beach, FL...
Andy McKee - Guitar - Drifting - www.candyrat.com
CD "Art of Motion" available at http://www.candyrat.com itunes (http://tinyurl.com/bkwypfl) amazon (http://amzn.com/B000E5N0C6) Andy McKee is playing a Lowde...
The Tuskegee Experiment - Oral Histories from the Collection of The National WWII Museum
http://www.nationalww2museum.org/ From the collection of oral histories at The National WWII Museum, listen to Charles McGee, William Holloman, John Leahr an...
Darker Than Amber (1970) Full Movie
Full movie starring Rod Taylor and William Smith. Directed by Robert Clouse, director of Enter The Dragon. Professional beach bum and 'knight errant' Travis ...
Interview with William David McGee, Vietnam war Veteran. CCSU Veteran History Project
Interview conducted on June 11, 2013 by Buckley W. Morgan II. William McGee served in the U.S. Marine Corps during the Vietnam war.To view his collection and...
William Barrett on Existentialism, part 1 of 3
"Heidegger and Modern Existentialism" From the 1978 BBC series "Men of Ideas" with Bryan Magee. An interview with William Barrett, Professor of Philosophy at...
William Bradford, from Of Plymouth Plantation, A
McGee lectures Plymouth Plantation.
Johnny Cash - Cremation of Sam McGee
Written by Robert Service. Album: Personal File (highly recommended) I like this version of poem more than others, due to its darker and more sinister mood.
Fibber McGee & Molly radio show 11/4/47 Fibber Gets Weighed
McGee's afraid he's getting overweight and heads down to the drugstore to be weighed. otrcomedy.blogspot.com.
J-Wall and McGee's High Speed Alley Oop
John Wall finds JaVale McGee for this sick alley oop down the middle of the court with the insane finish.
Tue, 11 Mar 2014 01:15:00 -0700
Under the instruction of William John McGee, Werner was obliged to take six Pygmy people back to America with him to show at the St Louis World Fair, 1904. A crude shopping list had been written for Werner; “1 Chief, 1 adult woman (preferably the chief ...
Ziarul de Iaşi
Sun, 02 Mar 2014 08:34:08 -0800
Samuel Philips Verner, exploratorul trimis de William John McGee în Africa, povesteşte în cadrul unui documentar că antropologul american i-a dat o listă clară cu tipurile de indigeni pe care îi doreşte: „un şef al pigmeilor, o femeie adultă, de ...
Wed, 12 Dec 2012 04:08:08 -0800
"Der erste Pygmäe wurde sichergestellt!", triumphierte dessen Entdecker, der US-amerikanische Missionar Samuel Phillips Verner, am 30. März 1904 in einem Brief an William John McGee. Als Wissenschaftler war McGee zuständig für das Herzstück der ...
Wed, 18 Jul 2012 14:41:51 -0700
Para los experimentos, Sullivan trabajó con el director de Antropología de la Feria, William John McGee. "Lo que me resulta interesante es que aquellos dos hombres pensaran en las Jornadas Antropológicas con seriedad", dijo a la BBC la profesora de ...
Tue, 17 Jul 2012 04:12:38 -0700
Para os experimentos, Sullivan trabalhou em parceria com o diretor de Antropologia da Feira, William John McGee. "O que para mim é interessante é que aqueles dois homens pensaram as Jornadas Antropológicas com seriedade", disse à BBC Brasil a ...
Thể thao văn hóa
Thể thao văn hóa
Mon, 08 Apr 2013 19:49:07 -0700
nhà truyền giáo Samuel Phillips Verner tưng bừng báo tin trong thư viết ngày 30/3/1904 gửi cho William John McGee. Là một nhà khoa học, McGee vui mừng đón nhận “hiện vật“ quan trọng nhất cho phòng trưng bày kết quả nghiên cứu nhân chủng học tại ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.