William "Billy" Jones (1884–1968), a seasoned veteran of the steam era who established the Wildcat Railroad in Los Gatos, California, was born the son of a teamster in the town of Ben Lomond, California, USA.
Jones found employment as an engine wiper at the age of 13 with the narrow-gauge South Pacific Coast Railroad at Boulder Creek, California. At 17, Jones was promoted to fireman, and later became an engineer. The South Pacific Coast Railroad, which had been acquired by the Southern Pacific Railroad, was converted to a standard gauge road by 1909. Jones was among the first to work the first standard-gauge portions of the line out of San Jose, ultimately advancing to the Coast Daylight run between San Francisco and San Luis Obispo. After World War II, he was in charge of the reassembly of the preserved locomotive Gov. Stanford for Stanford University; the locomotive is currently on display at the California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento.
Jones married Geraldine McGrady, the schoolteacher at Wright's Station, located south of Los Gatos. After settling down in Los Gatos on a 9-acre (36,000 m2) prune orchard known as "The Ranch", the Jones family grew to include two sons, Robert and Neal, and two daughters, Betty and Geraldine. The Ranch was located at the corner of Daves Avenue and the Santa Clara-Los Gatos Road (today's Winchester Boulevard).
Billy Jones Wildcat Railroad 
On the docks of San Francisco in 1939, Jones discovered a 18 inch gauge steam locomotive built in 1905 and designed to run on the Venice Railway in Venice Beach, California. He bought the little engine, nicknamed the 2-spot, for $100 and got it running again on a railroad he and his railroad buddies constructed on the ranch, dubbed the "Wildcat Railroad".
Sons Robert and Neal were victims of World War II, and Jones operated his "Wildcat Railroad" for the neighborhood children, every Sunday until his death in 1968, in memory of his two lost sons. The railroad attracted people from across the valley and beyond, including Walt Disney, who considered purchasing some of Jones' collection of miniature railway equipment. The two became friends, and Jones was behind the throttle of Disney's narrow-gauge locomotives on opening weekend at Disneyland in 1955.
Jones retired from the Southern Pacific Company in 1949. In January 1959, it is said Jones ceremoniously ran the last train out of Los Gatos before the rails were taken up throughout the town.
Jones died of leukemia in 1968 at the age of 83, and his "Wildcat Railroad" was purchased by local residents who formed a non-profit organization to relocate and operate it at nearby Oak Meadow and Vasona Parks. The railroad opened for regular operations in July 1970 after nearly two years of restoration and construction. By 1992, the railroad was averaging well over 100,000 riders each year.
It was also in 1992 that the railroad acquired its first diesel locomotive. Previously, the railroad had solely operated the steam locomotive that Billy had discovered in San Francisco in 1939. Realizing the need for a larger locomotive fleet, the railroad pursued options to acquire a more reliable diesel locomotive. Local businessman and railroad enthusiast Albert B. Smith purchased a brand new diesel hydraulic locomotive from Chicago Locomotive Works and donated the locomotive to the railroad. Smith died a year later.
In 1994, the 2-spot was in need of a new boiler and complete overhaul. In the meantime, the new diesel, dubbed #2502, would serve as the primary locomotive of the railroad. After a ten year restoration project, the 2-spot finally returned to service in July 2005. The occasion marked the 100th birthday of the steam locomotive and also celebrated the 35th anniversary of the Billy Jones Wildcat Railroad in Vasona Parks
The railroad purchased another diesel locomotive in 2006 and dubbed it #3502. Both diesels continue to operate weekdays during summer and weekends during winter and early spring. The restored 2-spot operates weekends from late spring until the end of fall.
In May 2013, the railroad took delivery of a second steam locomotive, #5. The locomotive is a 4-6-2 oil burner built by the Merrick Light Railway Works, which also built 3502. The 5-spot will be put in rotation with the 2-spot to avoid having to use 2502 or 3502 when either steam locomotive breaks down.
The Billy Jones Wildcat Railroad also operates a historic Savage carousel named after one of the organization's founders, William "Bill" Mason. The carousel is located next to the railroad's depot in Oak Meadow Park and has its own unique history, having taken part in the 1915 Panama–Pacific International Exposition in San Francisco.
- Diebert, Timothy S.; Strapac, Joseph A. (1987). Southern Pacific Company Steam Locomotive Compendium. Shade Tree Books. ISBN 0-930742-12-5.
- "Billy Jones Wildcat Railroad web site".
- Toth, Lisa (1 June 2005). "Pickin' Up Steam: Ol' Engine No. 2 is returning to the tracks". Los Gatos Weekly-Times.
- Bournellis, Cynthia (Oct/Nov 1991). "W.E. Mason Carousel". South Bay Accent Magazine. City of Los Gatos.
- Organization web site. Includes video.
Further reading 
- Kelley, Edward; Conaway, Peggy (2006). Images of Rail: Railroads of Los Gatos. Arcadia Publishing. ISBN 0-7385-4661-5.
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.