|— census-designated place —|
|Inyo County and the state of California|
|• Total||5.728 sq mi (14.835 km2)|
|• Land||5.727 sq mi (14.833 km2)|
|• Water||0.001 sq mi (0.002 km2) 0.013%|
|• Density||98/sq mi ( 38/km2)|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||2409595|
|U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Wilkerson, California|
Wilkerson is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 5.7 square miles (15 km2), over 99% of it land.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Wilkerson had a population of 563. The population density was 98.3 people per square mile (38.0/km²). The racial makeup of Wilkerson was 524 (93.1%) White, 0 (0.0%) African American, 13 (2.3%) Native American, 5 (0.9%) Asian, 1 (0.2%) Pacific Islander, 5 (0.9%) from other races, and 15 (2.7%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 53 persons (9.4%).
The Census reported that 563 people (100% of the population) lived in households, 0 (0%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 0 (0%) were institutionalized.
There were 244 households, out of which 55 (22.5%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 151 (61.9%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 14 (5.7%) had a female householder with no husband present, 8 (3.3%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 10 (4.1%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 1 (0.4%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 65 households (26.6%) were made up of individuals and 31 (12.7%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.31. There were 173 families (70.9% of all households); the average family size was 2.76.
The population was spread out with 100 people (17.8%) under the age of 18, 22 people (3.9%) aged 18 to 24, 88 people (15.6%) aged 25 to 44, 238 people (42.3%) aged 45 to 64, and 115 people (20.4%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 51.2 years. For every 100 females there were 101.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.9 males.
There were 265 housing units at an average density of 46.3 per square mile (17.9/km²), of which 200 (82.0%) were owner-occupied, and 44 (18.0%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 1.5%; the rental vacancy rate was 4.3%. 466 people (82.8% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 97 people (17.2%) lived in rental housing units.
As of the census of 2000, there were 562 people, 234 households, and 160 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 98.0 people per square mile (37.9/km²). There were 245 housing units at an average density of 42.7 per square mile (16.5/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 94.66% White, 0.18% Native American, 0.71% Asian, 1.07% from other races, and 3.38% from two or more races. 5.16% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 234 households out of which 27.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.8% were married couples living together, 4.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.2% were non-families. 27.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.40 and the average family size was 2.89.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 23.3% under the age of 18, 5.9% from 18 to 24, 21.2% from 25 to 44, 32.6% from 45 to 64, and 17.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 45 years. For every 100 females there were 105.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.5 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $35,583, and the median income for a family was $55,625. Males had a median income of $39,750 versus $22,981 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $20,182. None of the families and 4.6% of the population were living below the poverty line, including no under eighteens and 3.1% of those over 64.
- U.S. Census
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Wilkerson, California
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Senators". State of California. Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- "Members Assembly". State of California. Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- "California's 8th Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved April 11, 2013.
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.