White Sands Test Center
Data Sciences Directorate
Materiel Test Directorate
- Future Force Division
- Manned Tactical Systems Branch
Survivability, Vulnerability and Assessment Directorate
- Electromagnetic Effects Division
- Electromagnetic Radiation Branch
Office of the Project Manager for Instrumentation Targets and Threat Simulators
Test Center Safety Office
White Sands Missile Range (WSMR) is a rocket range of almost 3,200 square miles (8,300 km2) in parts of five counties in southern New Mexico. The largest military installation in the United States, WSMR includes the Oscura Range and the WSMR Otero Mesa bombing range. WSMR and the 600,000-acre (2,400 km2) McGregor Range Complex at Fort Bliss to the south, form a contiguous swath of territory for military testing.
Trinity test site 
Public land grazing leases were canceled in December 1941 for the newly formed Alamogordo Bombing and Gunnery Range. Robert Goddard transferred his rocket research group from Roswell, New Mexico to Annapolis, Maryland in July 1942. The Trinity (nuclear test) site was selected in November 1944; and the first atomic bomb was detonated at the Trinity test site on 16 July 1945. The Trinity Site was declared a National Historic Landmark district on 21 December 1965, and listed on the National Register of Historic Places on 15 October 1966.
V-2 rockets 
The first of 300 railroad cars of V-2 rocket components began to arrive at Las Cruces, New Mexico in July 1945 for transfer to WSPG.:246 Launch Area 1 Army blockhouse (Launch Complex 33) was completed in September. In November General Electric employees began to identify, sort, and reassemble V-2 rocket components in Building 1538, designated as Assembly Building 1. German rocket scientists of Operation Paperclip arrived at Fort Bliss in January 1946 to assist the V-2 rocket testing program. After a static test firing of a V-2 engine on 15 March 1946, the first V-2 rocket launch from Launch Complex 33 was on 16 April 1946. Approximately two V-2 launches per month were scheduled from Launch Complex 33 until the German rocket scientists transferred from Fort Bliss to Redstone Arsenal in 1949. Remaining V-2 rockets were launched from Launch Complex 33 on a reduced frequency until 1952. Launch Complex 33 was designated a National Historic Landmark on 3 October 1985. Refurbished Mittelwerk V-2 rocket #FZ04/20919 was returned to the WSMR Museum in May 2004 after being taken to the Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center in September 2002 for restoration.
Current operations 
1945, the Trinity
explosion, 0.016 seconds after detonation.
See also 
- ^ "Chapter Four: Global War at White Sands 1940–1945". White Sands Administrative History. National Park Service. Retrieved 7 October 2008. "Executive Order No. 9029"
- ^ a b "Development of the Corporal: the embryo of the army missile program, vol. 2" (PDF). Army Ballistic Missile Agency.
- ^ "White Sands Commander Gwen Bingham promoted to major general", Steve Ramirez, lcsun-news.com , 20 March 2013
- ^ NOTE: The Center for Countermeasures (CCM), founded 1972, is a joint program of the OSD's Director, Operational Test & Evaluation (DOT&E), which is itself a component of the OSD (OSD). The CCM evaluates precision guided munitions and other devices in counter- and counter-countermeasures environments.
- ^ a b Rubenson, David; Robert Everson, Jorge Munoz (Arroyo Center); Robert Weissler (RAND Corporation) (1998). McGregor Renewal and the Current Air Defense Mission. p. 77. ISBN 978-0-8330-2669-9. Retrieved 15 September 2008.
- ^ a b c d e f g h "A Brief History of White Sands Proving Ground 1941–1965". New Mexico State University. Retrieved 19 August 2010.
- ^ Richard Greenwood (14 January 1975). National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination: Trinity Site (PDF). National Park Service. Retrieved 21 June 2009 and Accompanying 10 photos, from 1974. PDF (3.37 MB)
- ^ "Trinity Site". National Historic Landmarks. National Park Service. Retrieved 28 January 2008.
- ^ "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2007-01-23.
- ^ a b c Ley, Willy (1951 – revised edition 1958) . Rockets, Missiles and Space Travel. New York: The Viking Press. pp. 246, 253.
- ^ "White Sands V-2 Launching Site". Aviation: From Sand Dunes to Sonic Booms. Retrieved 7 October 2008.
- ^ Works by White Sands Missile Range Public Affairs Office at Project Gutenberg
- ^ "Time Magazine, "Recovery at White Sands"". 29 June 1962.
- ^ a b Ordway, Frederick I, III; Sharpe, Mitchell R (1979). The Rocket Team. Apogee Books Space Series 36. New York: Thomas Y. Crowell. p. 290. ISBN 1-894959-00-0.
- ^ Bluth, John. "Von Karman, Malina laid the groundwork for the future JPL". JPL.
- ^ "WSTF Community". NASA.
- ^ "article". Aerospace America. October 2004. p. B6.
- ^ "NASA Building Test Pad at White Sands for New Spacecraft". redOrbit. 3 February 2008. Retrieved 12 September 2008.
- ^ NASA: Constellation Mission Project, Research, and Test Sites Overview
External links 
White Sands Missile Range (Tularosa Frontier) "The Big Picture" - 1950's American Military Film
"Tularosa Frontier" is a film documentary, skillfully photographed and written, covering the historical achievements and present progress of the White Sands ...
AERIAL TOUR OF WHITE SANDS MISSILE RANGE
AERIAL TOUR OF WHITE SANDS MISSILE RANGE - Department of Defense 1964 - PIN 23021 - TOUR OF ARMY, NAVY, AND AIR FORCE LAUNCHING AREAS, SMALL MISSILE RANGE, A...
White Sands Missile , New Mexico
Video 941 of a reality travel show with your host David Rush. Go to www.davidrush.net.
JFK Tour: "President Kennedy at White Sands Missile Range" 1963 06 03
more at http://quickfound.net/ "PRESIDENT KENNEDY'S VISIT TO WSMR [White Sands Missile Range] TO VIEW DEMONSTRATION OF MISSILES: HONEST JOHN, LITTLE JOHN, HA...
Missile Launch at White Sands Missile Range - Missile Intercepts Target Drone
Footage of a Medium Extended Air Defense System missile test at White Sands Missile Range including the interception of an MQM-107 target drone.
Welcome to White Sands Missile Range, N.M.
ARMY.MIL - U.S. Army Housing Services Office presents an introduction to White Sands Missile Range, which is a test and evaluation command installation. It w...
AERIAL TOUR OF WHITE SANDS MISSILE RANGE - 1963 U.S. ARMY DOCUMENTARY
AERIAL TOUR OF THE WHITE SANDS MISSILE RANGE, SHOWING ARMY, NAVY, AND AIR FORCE LAUNCHING AREAS, THE SMALL MISSILE RANGE, AND THE COMPLEX OF INSTRUMENTATION ...
White Sands Missile Range - Pershing
The 215 single family homes of the Pershing neighborhood were built at the base of the scenic Organ Mountain Range for JE and SE residents. These three-bedro...
Paladin Direct Artillery Fire - White Sands Missile Range
Soldiers of the 4-27 Field Artillery Battalion are practicing real world tactics as part of a "Network Integration Evaluation" at White Sands Missile Range, ...
MEADS Intercept of MQM-107 Target Drone at White Sands Missile Range
MEADS Intercept of MQM-107 Target Drone at White Sands Missile Range. Courtesy Video | White Sands Missile Range Public Affairs | Date: 11.29.2012. Footage o...
Las Cruces Sun-News
Tue, 14 May 2013 00:12:20 -0700
I continue to laud the incredible efforts of the men and women who comprise the ranks of Team White Sands Missile Range! New to the "test and evaluation" community before my arrival eight months ago, I have come to know and appreciate the phenomenal ...
Las Cruces Sun-News
Tue, 14 May 2013 17:31:06 -0700
LAS CRUCES — It was good news and not-so-good news — of sorts — Tuesday for Department of Defense civil servants who work at the region's three military installations: White Sands Missile Range, Holloman Air Force Base, and Fort Bliss. What they ...
Las Cruces Sun-News
Sun, 12 May 2013 14:24:14 -0700
The event is an enduring Army process and enables formation effectiveness and increased operational capability to provide proven integrated capabilities into the hands of soldiers. White Sands Missile Range is more than 3,200 square miles of training area.
Las Cruces Sun-News
Sun, 19 May 2013 14:40:02 -0700
WHITE SANDS MISSILE RANGE — White Sands students got a lesson in safety during the annual Bike to School Day, which was celebrated in conjunction with a Bike Rodeo at the schools earlier this month. The Bike to School Day event is held annually ...
Thu, 09 May 2013 12:35:00 -0700
The event is an enduring Army process and enables formation effectiveness and increased operational capability to provide proven integrated capabilities into the hands of Soldiers. White Sands Missile Range is more than 3200 square miles of training area.
Sat, 20 Apr 2013 23:17:26 -0700
The U.S. Department of Defense says a proposed $1 billion high-voltage transmission project would be a threat to national security — and could jeopardize New Mexico's White Sands Missile Range. However, the U.S. Bureau of Land Management is favoring ...
Thu, 09 May 2013 12:41:54 -0700
The next generation of self propelled artillery is going through testing on White Sands Missile Range to ready it for tomorrow's battlefield. New versions of the Paladin self propelled howitzer and its accompanying Ammunition Supply Vehicle are ...
Tue, 14 May 2013 10:17:30 -0700
The Massive Ordnance Penetrator conventional bomb is off-loaded at White Sands Missile Range, N.M. in a 2007 file photo. /Boeing. Both sides have proclaimed that developing a nuclear capacity is Iran's right. The most fanatical elements would actively ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about White Sands Missile Range with people all over the world in our discussions.