|Whakamaru Power Station|
Whakamaru Power Station overview.
|Location||Lake Whakamaru, Waikato River|
|Commission date||1949, 1956|
|Owner(s)||Mighty River Power|
|Nameplate capacity||100.00 MW|
Whakamaru is one of the larger generating stations operating on the Waikato river. It is currently operated by state-owned electricity generator Mighty River Power. The adjacent Whakamaru switching station is operated by Transpower and is an important node on the national grid.
Development work started in 1949 with the construction on 10 km of road from Mangakino which at the time was the operational centre of the Waikato hydroelectric scheme. Firstly a diversion channel 259 metres long, 31 metres deep and 7 metres wide was constructed and took 3 years to complete.
The foundation rock turned out to be deeply cracked and filled with clays rendering it partially porous. Shafts were sunk into the rock and this allowed the clay to be cleared and cement grout was later forced into the rock which was then back-filled with concrete.
Whakamaru is a major node in the North Island electricity grid. Electricity generated by Whakamaru, as well as the other five Waikato hydroelectric power stations, and from the geothermal powerstations in the area converges at the Whakamaru substation on the western side of the dam. Power from Whakamaru is then transmitted via 220 kV lines to the Bay of Plenty, Hawke's Bay, Manawatu and Hamililton. The largest transmission route is to New Zealand's largest city, Auckland, approximately 200 km to the north - three 220 kV circuits connect Whakamaru to Otahuhu in southern Auckland, with an additional circuit serving Otahuhu via Hamilton.
The main control centre for the electricity generation and transmission system for the entire North Island was established at Whakamaru in 1964. The facility continued to operate as the North Island System Control Centre until a replacement facility was established at Hamilton in 1992.
A major new transmission line has been constructed from Whakamaru to Brownhill Road close to the south Auckland urban boundary. This new line re-inforces supply to Auckland and allows for the large amount of new geothermal generation that is expected in the Taupo region over the next 5-7 years. A separate switching station, designated Whakamaru North, has been built approximately 800 metres from the current substation as the terminal station for the new line, with short tie-lines connecting to the existing substation.
- Reilly, H (2008) p. 182-191
- Martin, John E, ed. (1991). People, Power and Power Stations: Electric Power Generation in New Zealand 1880 - 1990. Wellington: Bridget Williams Books Ltd and Electricity Corporation of New Zealand. pp. 316 pages. ISBN 0-908912-16-1.
- Reilly, Helen (2008). Connecting the Country: New Zealand’s National Grid 1886 - 2007. Wellington: Steele Roberts. pp. 376 pages. ISBN 978-1-877448-40-9.
This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.