|Location||Stratford, London Borough of Newham, England|
|Opening date||13 September 2011|
|Owner||Westfield Group (50%)
ABP Pension Fund (25%)
CPP Investment Board (25%)
|No. of stores and services||300|
|No. of anchor tenants||3 (Marks & Spencer, John Lewis & Waitrose)|
|Total retail floor area||1,883,700 square feet (175,000 m2)|
|No. of floors||3 (Some shops have extra floors)|
|Public transit access||Stratford station
Stratford International station
Westfield Stratford City is a shopping centre in Stratford, London. The centre opened on 13 September 2011. With a total retail floor area of 1,883,700 square feet (175,000 m2), it is one of the largest urban shopping centres in Europe. It is the third-largest shopping centre in the United Kingdom by retail space behind the MetroCentre and the Trafford Centre. Taking the surrounding shopping area into account, it is the largest urban shopping centre in the European Union in terms of size.
Westfield Stratford City is adjacent to the London Olympic Park, East Village, Stratford Regional and Stratford International stations. The shopping centre is part of a large multi-purpose development project called Stratford City. It is promoted as contributing significantly to the local economy, with the creation of up to 10,000 permanent jobs, including 2,001 jobs going to people in the local area. However there are counter-reports of the centre having a significantly negative impact on local businesses due to the preponderance of chain stores.
In July 2012, a number of banners in Arabic welcoming shoppers for the Olympics were found to be translated incorrectly.
The shopping centre is anchored by a 240,000 sq ft (22,000 m2) John Lewis department store, a 32,000 sq ft (3,000 m2) Waitrose supermarket, a 136,000 sq ft (12,600 m2) Marks & Spencer department store, a 24 hour casino (Aspers) and a seventeen screen all-digital Vue cinema. The shopping centre also has a 267 room Premier Inn hotel, and another hotel with 350 rooms. The shopping centre has approximately 400 stores and 70 restaurants.
To the south of the site, lies Stratford station which is served by London Underground's Central and Jubilee lines, Abellio Greater Anglia, London Overground,Docklands Light Rail and a few c2c services. Crossrail services are scheduled to serve the station from 2017. To the north lies Stratford International station which is served by Southeastern and Docklands Light Rail services.
According to Westfield, while the site supports a 5,000 space car park, 80% of the shoppers arrive at the centre on public transport.
In popular culture
- "Westfield Group Press Release". Westfield UK. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- "Westfield Group to Sell 50% Interest in Retail Component of Stratford City for £871.5 Million". CPP Investment Board. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- "Westfield Group Property Portfolio: Stratford City Overview". Westfield UK. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- "Games gloom: Car park closure 'devastating'". The Guardian. 23 June 2012.
- "Press Toolkit". uk.westfield.com. Retrieved 7 September 2011.
- "Launch date announced for Mega Mall". thisisLondon. Retrieved 7 September 2011.
- "Westfield Stratford City: Opening date". uk.westfield.com. Retrieved 16 April 2011.
- "£20m spent in first week at Westfield Stratford City - News". London24. 21 September 2011. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Spybey, Kat (22 November 2010). "Westfield sells 50% of Stratford City for 871.5m to APG and CPPIB". Property Week.
- "New Olympic Westfield leaves local traders fighting for survival - Business - London Evening Standard". Standard.co.uk. 3 January 2012. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Cotter, Molly (29 September 2011). "Kinetic Energy Generating Pavegen Floor Tiles Will Harvest Footsteps to Light UK Shopping Center". http://inhabitat.com. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- "BBC News - London 2012: Westfield Arabic banners 'incoherent'". Bbc.co.uk. 24 July 2012. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "Premier Inn News Release". Premier Inn.
- "Masterplan". uk.westfield.com. Retrieved 7 September 2011.
- "What's here". www.westfieldstratfordcity2011.com. Retrieved 7 September 2011.
- "Westfield Stratford City Sign Inditex Trio". uk.westfield.com. Retrieved 7 September 2011.
- North-East Section Crossrail
- "Buses from Stratford". Transport for London. February 2009. Retrieved 27 May 2009.
- "Night buses from Stratford". Transport for London. 2009. Retrieved 27 May 2009.
- "Olly Murs Shoots New Music Video At Westfield Stratford". Capital FM. 17 January 2012. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Westfield Stratford City.|
- Official Website
- Stratford City on The Retail Database
- “The Golden Temple” Featured Documentary on Westfield, Stratford and the Olympic Games, 2012
This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.