||This school-related article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (December 2008)|
|Westerville North High School|
|950 County Line Road
Westerville, Ohio, (Delaware County), 43081
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|School district||Westerville City Schools|
|Superintendent||John Kellogg |
|Vice principal||Stephanie McGeorge|
|Asst. Principal||Lea Coburn|
|Color(s)||cardinal and Gold|
|Athletics conference||Ohio Capital Conference|
|Rival||Westerville South High School|
Westerville North High School is a public high school in Westerville, Ohio in Delaware County, Ohio. It is one of three high schools in the Westerville City School District. The school's current principal is Kurt Yancey.
The high school has been open since 1975. Westerville North's colors are cardinal and gold and its mascot is a representation of a classic Roman "warrior." Students follow a moral code known as "The Warrior Way" which focuses on respecting each other, their parents, their school and their community. There are many traditions that are part of the school including Seniors painting "The Rock" and walking around the Warrior logo in the front lobby for good luck.
The high school is one of three in the Westerville school district.
Clubs and activities
In the media
Westerville North has occasionally received national press attention, usually for unusual events taking place at the school. An incident involving marijuana-laced Rice Krispies treats sold at a bake sale was mentioned on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. Many news networks featured a story involving Taylor Killian, a student who oiled himself down, went streaking throughout the school, and was subsequently tased twice by Westerville police officer Doug Staysniak. The school was also mentioned in a March 2008 episode of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, after Democratic presidential candidates appeared at rallies on the same day at Westerville North and Westerville Central.
Westerville North has also received local media attention for its service to the local food bank, WARM (Westerville Area Resource Ministry). The school regularly raises over $20,000 each year to support local families in need of food, clothing, and gifts for the holidays. It also was recognized as one of Fox 28's Cool Schools. Highlights for this recognition focused on the Hydroponics program in which WNHS raises plants and herbs to donate or sell to local businesses, the show choir called the Notables, and school spirit.
Ohio High School Athletic Association State championships
- Boys Basketball – 1994
- Boys Track and Field – 1998*
- Boys Soccer – 1995,2003
- Girls Soccer – 1990,1992
- * Tie
Individual Wrestling State Champions 2008 Jesse Dong, 152 Pounds & Chris Kline, 160 Pounds 2009 Josh Demas, 152 Pounds 2010 Josh Demas, 171 Pounds
In 2004 the in the Know team won the WOSU TV in the Know Tournament Championship. This was the first time that a Westerville North team had won this honor.
In 2009 the Science Olympiad team advanced to the state tournament, medaling in Elevated Bridge and Write it-Do it. In 2010 the Science Olympiad team won 1st place at regionals and advanced to the state tournament, medaling in Its About Time.
Westerville North is listed #1205 on Newsweek's list of "America's Top High Schools" for 2010
- Jeff Davidson, Ohio State Standout and Offensive Coordinator for the Carolina Panthers
- Josh Harris, former NFL Quarterback
- Bob Kennedy, Indiana University standout and two-time track-and-field Olympic athlete
- Kevin Martin, basketball player
- Shaun Stonerook, basketball player
- Ryan Wilson (athlete) (born 1980), American hurdler
Notes and references
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- "Executive Board Pre-File Application". OhioJCL.org – June 2007. Internet Archive: Wayback Machine. 2010. Archived from the original on June 17, 2007. Retrieved August 16, 2010.
- "OJCL Constitution". OhioJCL.org – July 2002. Internet Archive: Wayback Machine. 2010. Archived from the original on July 21, 2002. Retrieved August 16, 2010.
... by paying both OJCL annual chapter dues and any annual chapter membership dues required by NJCL.
- John Petrick (February 26, 2003). "A popular cereal keeps its crackle". The Record (Bergen County, NJ).
- Associated Press (January 20, 2007). "Cops Taser Student Running Naked Through High School Cafeteria". Fox News.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.
- Lisa Aurand (April 28, 2010). "Westerville North Science Olympiad team advances". Westerville ThisWeek. Retrieved December 17, 2010.
- "America's Best High Schools: The List". Newsweek.
This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.