West Lockinge shown within Oxfordshire
|Population||179 (parish, including East Lockinge) (2001 census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Civil parish||Ardington and Lockinge|
|District||Vale of White Horse|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
|Website||Ardington and Lockinge Parish Council|
West Lockinge is a village in Ardington and Lockinge civil parish, about 1.5 miles (2.4 km) east of Wantage. It was part of Berkshire until the 1974 local authority boundary changes transferred the Vale of White Horse to Oxfordshire.
One Siward Barn held the manor of East Lockinge before the Norman conquest of England. After the conquest the manor was granted to the Norman soldier Henry de Ferrers, who had fought for William of Normandy at the Battle of Hastings.
West Lockinge Farm has a Georgian farmhouse of five bays. It is built of blue and red brick and has a hipped roof. A record from 1770 of a "new erected messuage" at West Lockinge may refer to this house, which has been enlarged by later alterations. The farm is now run by Henrietta Knight and Terry Biddlecombe, trainers of the racing horse Best Mate. Since 1958 there has been a Lockinge Stakes horse race at Newbury Racecourse.
- "Area selected: Vale of White Horse (Non-Metropolitan District)". Neighbourhood Statistics: Full Dataset View. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 1 April 2010.
- Page & Ditchfield 1924, pp. 307–311.
- Pevsner 1966, p. 170.
- West Lockinge Farm
- Page, W.H.; Ditchfield, P.H., eds. (1924). A History of the County of Berkshire, Volume 4. Victoria County History. pp. 307–311.
- Pevsner, Nikolaus (1966). Berkshire. The Buildings of England. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books. pp. 169–170.
Media related to West Lockinge at Wikimedia Commons
|This Oxfordshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|