||This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012)|
Werner Kempf (right) in discussion with Hermann Breith (center) and Walter Chales de Beaulieu (left) during Operation Citadel at Kursk on 21 June 1943
9 March 1886|
|Died||6 January 1964
|Allegiance|| German Empire (to 1918)
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1905–1945|
|Rank||General der Panzertruppe|
|Battles/wars||World War I
World War II
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
He joined the Imperial German Army on 14 March 1905 and served in the 149th Infantry Regiment. In World War I he reached the rank of Hauptmann. He then served in the Reichswehr and the Wehrmacht. At the beginning of World War II he took part in the invasion of Poland as a Generalmajor commanding a Panzer Division. In 1939 and 1940 he led the 6th Panzer Division in the Battle of France and was promoted to Generalleutnant and awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross for his role in the campaign.
From 5 May 1942 he was commanding general of the XXXXVIII Panzer Corps and was in this position on 10 August 1942 when he was awarded the Oak leaves to the Knight's Cross. In July 1943, he participated in the Battle of Kursk as commander of the 'Army Detachment Kempf' on the Eastern Front. From May to September 1944 he was commander of the Wehrmacht in the Baltics. He was then moved to the leadership reserve until he was taken into captivity in May 1945. He was released in 1947.
Awards and decorations 
- Iron Cross (1914)
- 2nd Class (15 September 1914)
- 1st Class (28 February 1916)
- Cross of Honor
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (15 September 1939)
- 1st Class (28 September 1939)
- Eastern Front Medal
- Order of Michael the Brave 3rd Class (6 November 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 208.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 54.
- Alman, Karl (2008). Panzer vor - Die dramtische Geschichte der deutschen Panzerwaffe und ihre tapferen Soldaten (in German). Würzburg, Germany: Flechsig Verlag. ISBN 978-3-88189-638-2.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Werner Kempf Career chronology @ generals.dk
- Werner Kempf @ World War 2 Awards.com
- Werner Kempf @ Ritterkrezutraeger 1939-1945
- Werner Kempf @ Lexikon der Wehrmacht
|This biographical article related to the military of Germany is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|