|Welcome to the Jungle|
|Directed by||Rob Meltzer|
|Produced by||Justin Kanew
|Written by||Jeff Kauffman|
|Starring||Jean-Claude Van Damme
|Music by||Karl Preusser|
|Edited by||Harry Yoon|
Pimienta Film Company
|Running time||94 minutes|
Welcome to the Jungle is a 2013 American comedy film directed by Rob Meltzer, and starring Jean-Claude Van Damme, Adam Brody, Rob Huebel, Kristen Schaal, Megan Boone, and Dennis Haysbert. The film premiered at the 2013 Newport Beach Film Festival.
Chris is a workplace weakling who doesn't have the courage to stand up to the slick office bully, Phil, who steals all his ideas, and he has yet to muster the courage to ask out cute HR manager, Lisa. Even Chris' only friend, Jared (Eric Edelstein), a sarcastic slacker IT guy who secretly monitors everyone's porn intake, slams Chris for being a sissy.
But when a team-building "wilderness seminar" goes horribly wrong, and unhinged ex-marine teambuilding coach Storm Rothchild gets mauled by a tiger, Chris and his co-workers find themselves stranded on a deserted tropical island with no rescue in sight – and someone's going to have to step up and take charge. Phil quickly proclaims himself "God" of the island – but Chris has Boy Scout skills and would be far better suited to lead the group if he could overcome his fear – of everything. Can Chris finally start acting like a man and face Phil, release his inner-beast, get them rescued and get the girl? Or will Phil triumph, as usual, while Chris cowers like an effeminate weakling?
- Jean-Claude Van Damme as Storm Rothchild
- Adam Brody as Chris
- Rob Huebel as Phil
- Kristen Schaal as Brenda
- Kristopher Van Varenberg as Brett
- Bianca Bree as Ashley
- Dennis Haysbert as Mr. Crawford
- Megan Boone as Lisa
- Eric Edelstein as Jared
- Robert Peters as Dale
- Aaron Takahashi as Troy
- Brian Tester as Senior Naval Officer
- Stephanie Lopez as Stephanie
- Mark Sherman as Sailor Bob
- Michael J. Morris as Michael
- Zev Glassenberg as Luther The Intern
Shooting took place in Puerto Rico in early 2012.
Rotten Tomatoes, review aggregator, reports that 25% of eight surveyed critics gave the film a positive review; the average rating is 4.3/10. Metacritic rated it 25/100 based on seven reviews. John DeFore of The Hollywood Reporter wrote, "A decent cast is stranded on a desert island with a script best suited for campfire kindling." Betsy Sharkey of the Los Angeles Times wrote that the film is not funny or clever enough to work as a satire or farce, though it is unclear for which the film was aiming.
- "Van Damme Gets Silly In Two Clips From WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE | Twitch". Twitchfilm.com. 2012-10-28. Retrieved 2014-02-10.
- Williams, Owen (2014-01-24). "New Red Band Welcome To The Jungle Trailer". Empire. Retrieved 2014-09-09.
- Longwell, Todd (2012-10-20). "Exotic, but still part of the USA". Variety. Retrieved 2014-09-09.
- "Welcome to the Jungle (2014)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2014-09-09.
- "Welcome to the Jungle". Metacritic. Retrieved 2014-09-09.
- DeFore, John (2014-02-07). "Welcome to the Jungle: Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2014-09-09.
- Sharkey, Betsy (2014-02-06). "Review: Nothing can rescue 'Welcome to the Jungle'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2014-09-09.
This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.