||This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.
A website content writer or web content writer is a person who specializes in providing relevant content for websites. Every website has a specific target audience and requires a different type and level of content. Content should contain words (key words) that attract and retain users on a website. The aim of the content is to:
- Provide information
- promote sales
- convert the reader to a sale or paying customer.
Content written specifically for a website should concentrate on a specific topic. It should further be easy to read, offering the information in easy to understand clusters or laid out in bullet points.
Most story pieces are centered on marketing products or services that the website is selling or endorsing, though this is not always the case. Some websites are informational only and do not sell a product or service. In those instances, the content should be geared toward helping to educate the reader while providing them with complex information in a way that is easy to understand and retain.
Functions of content writers 
Website owners and managers depend on content writers to perform several major tasks:
- Analyze all the tasks before sending to the content writer, and to give a task regarding promoting for the particular website given for reference URL.
- Check for keywords or generate a keywords and give it to the writers to use in the article, and to provide them the limitations for the keywords.
- Create or edit copy to inform the reader, and to promote or sell the company, product or service described in the website.
- Produce content to entice and engage visitors, so they continue browsing on the current website. This operates on the premise that longer a visitor stays on a particular site, the greater the likelihood they will eventually become clients or customers.
- Produce content that is smart in its use of keywords, or is focused on search engine optimization (SEO). This means the text must contain relevant keywords and phrases that are most likely to be entered by users in web searches associated with the actual site for better search engine indexing and ranking.
- Create content that allows the site visitors to get the information they want quickly and efficiently. Efficient and focused web content gives readers access to information in a user-friendly manner.
Website content writing aims for relevance and search-ability. Relevance means that the website text should be useful and beneficial to readers. Search-ability indicates usage of keywords to help search engines direct users to websites that meet their search criteria.
There are various ways through which websites come up with article writing and one of them is outsourcing of the content writing but it is riskier than other options.
Online writers vs. print writers 
Writing online is very different from composing and constructing content for printed materials. Web users tend to scan text instead of reading it closely, skipping what they perceive to be unnecessary information, and hunting for what they regard as most relevant. It is estimated that seventy-nine percent of users scan web content. It is also reported that it takes twenty-five percent more time to scan content online compared to print content. Web content writers must have the skills to insert paragraphs and headlines containing keywords for search engine optimization, as well as to make sure their composition is clear, so that they will be able to reach their target market.
Blog writing is another form of online writing that differs from traditional print articles. A blog can range in style and topic, but is usually written somewhat informally to educate or inspire readers. Many businesses rely on blogs to promote their product or service, and many individuals use blogs to write about topics important to them personally or politically.
Content writing providers 
Copywriting agencies combine copywriting services with a range of editorial and associated services, that may include brand positioning, message consulting, social media, SEO consulting, developmental and copy editing, proofreading, fact checking, layout, and design. Outsourcing such services allows businesses to focus on core competencies and to benefit from the specialized knowledge of professional copywriters and editors.
Over the course of the last decade, a wide range of web-only, online copy writing agencies have sprung up. These online content generating agencies have also been called "content mills." Multiple writers typically consult for the content generation companies, writing content which is requested by website owners.
Among the first such content generating agencies, NeedanArticle.com appears online in 2006, followed by several others, including TextBroker, iWriter, and Freelancer (formerly called Get-a-Freelancer.)
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.