|Logo Used Since September 11, 2010|
|Format||Action, Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Comedy|
|Ending theme||Wansapanataym by Michelle Ayalde (1997-2005)
Wansapanataym by Nyoy Volante (2010-present)
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|Original language(s)||Filipino, English|
|No. of episodes||590 (as of June 8, 2014)|
|Running time||45 minutes|
|Production company(s)||CineMedia (since 2011)|
|Picture format||NTSC (480i)|
|Original run||Original Series:
June 22, 1997 – February 27, 2005
September 11, 2010 – present
Wansapanataym (Filipinisation of the English phrase once upon a time) is a Philippine fantasy-drama anthology produced and aired by ABS-CBN. The series aired in 1997 until 2005, then re-aired from 2006 to 2007. On September 11, 2010, the series aired again on ABS-CBN's weekend primetime block with new episodes, and remakes of past episodes.
The series was launched in 1997, then was moved to a weekend primetime slot until February 27, 2005, having genre similarities with ABS-CBN Foundation-produced education program Hirayamanawari (which features Filipino short stories for children) and another 1980's series "Pinoy Fantasy." On May 8, 2006, the show was re-aired on weekday mornings until 2007. A film was also produced based on the series' genre, which starred Shaina Magdayao, Serena Dalrymple and Christopher de Leon.
Judy Ann Santos and the late Rico Yan graced the first episode of this program. In 2004, the series had two child characters (Nash Aguas and Sharlene San Pedro) and a magical book inside the chest in every prologue and epilogue of the show.
|Directed by||Johnny Manahan|
|Produced by||Charo Santos-Concio
Malou N. Santos
|Screenplay by||Shaira Mella Salvador|
|Starring||Christopher de Leon
|Music by||Jaime Fabregas|
|Distributed by||Star Cinema|
The movie adaptation had only one episode was made in 1999. The story is about an orphan named Anna (Shaina Magdayao) who searched for her long-lost father (Christopher de Leon). With the guardian angel Barbiel's (Serena Dalrymple) help, Anna was able to see her father even for a moment.
Film cast and characters
- Christopher De Leon as Gary
- Shaina Magdayao as Anna
- Angel Aquino as Sylvia Enrique
- Serena Dalrymple as Barbiel
- Rosemarie Gil as Donya Tisay Enrique
- Dick Israel
- CJ Ramos as Caloy
- Romeo Rivera as Don Victor Enrique
- Jericho Rosales as Michael
- Gloria Sevilla as Manang Bising
During the ABS-CBN Trade Launch held at the NBC Tent @ The Fort last August 2010, it was announced that Wansapanataym will come back with new episodes replacing Agimat: Ang Mga Alamat ni Ramon Revilla. Unlike in the previous ones, the revival focuses on adaptations based on "komiks" on the first season. It was started on September 11, 2010 with its first episode "Inday Bote" starring Melai Cantiveros. The succeeding seasons focuses on the original format. The revival airs every Saturday night but starting from May 25, 2014, Wansapanataym started to air every sunday night again.
Wansapanataym Classics is a re-run of past episodes from 1997 til 2005. It airs every sunday night on Jeepney TV.
The theme song was sung by Michelle Ayalde and Roselle Nava in the movie. The song was composed by Homer Flores and lyrics by Jose Bartolome. The song was used from 1997 until 2005. In the revival, the theme song was changed and was also sung by Nyoy Volante.
- PMPC Star Awards 2000 for TV's Best Horror-Fantasy Program
- PMPC Star Awards 2001 for TV's Best Horror-Fantasy Program
- PMPC Star Awards 2002 for TV's Best Horror-Fantasy Program
- PMPC Star Awards 2003 for TV's Best Horror-Fantasy Program
- PMPC Star Awards 2004 for TV's Best Horror-Fantasy Program (Tied with Nginiig)
- Catholic Mass Media Awards: Hall Of Fame 2004
- PMPC Star Awards 2005 for TV's Best Horror-Fantasy Program (Tied with Nginiig)
- Catholic Mass Media Awards: 2011 Best Children and Youth Program
- PMPC Star Awards 2011 for TV's Best Horror-Fantasy Program Bugoy in Chalk Boy
- Catholic Mass Media Awards: 2012 Best Children and Youth Program
- PMPC Star Awards 2012 for TV's Best Horror-Fantasy Program
- 21st KBP Golden Dove Awards 2013's "Best Children’s Program".
- 8th UP Gandingan Awards 2014's "Best Development Oriented Children's Program".
- 12th Gawad Tanglaw 2014's "Best Educational Program"
- ABS-CBN rules 34th Catholic Mass Media Awards retrieved via www.pep.ph 09-27-2012
- Official Website (1997-2005) at the Wayback Machine (archived January 28, 1999)
- Official website
- Wansapanataym at the Internet Movie Database 2010–Present
- Wansapanataym at the Internet Movie Database 1997 - 2006
- Wansapanataym at the Internet Movie Database 1999 - Movie Version