|Studio album by Draco Rosa|
|Released||March 19, 2013|
Phantom Vox Studios
Los Angeles, California
|Genre||Latin rock, Latin pop, Alternative, Indie|
|Label||Sony Music Latin|
|Producer||Draco Rosa, George Noriega|
|Draco Rosa chronology|
CD/DVD Special Edition
|Singles from Vida|
Vida (English: Life) is the twelfth studio album by Puerto Rican recording artist Draco Rosa, released on March 19, 2013 by Sony Music Latin. It consists of 16 duets of Rosa's hits featuring guest artists chosen personally by Rosa himself. This is the first album released by Draco after his non-hodgkin lymphoma cancer diagnosis near his liver on April 25, 2011. It is entitled "Vida" simbolizing Draco's recovery after his cancer treatment. The album won Album of the Year at the 2013 Latin Grammy Awards and won for Best Latin Pop Album at the 56th Annual Grammy Awards.
- 1 Background
- 2 Duets
- 3 Release
- 4 Promotion and release
- 5 Singles
- 6 Track listing
- 7 Personnel
- 8 Concerts
- 9 Awards
- 10 Chart performance
- 11 Album certification
- 12 References
On April 2011, Draco Rosa was diagnosed with cancer near his liver. While undergoing treatment, Rosa announced on December 2011 that he was preparing a new album that would feature collaborations with Latin music artists such as Alejandro Sanz, Juan Luis Guerra, Enrique Bunbury, and Calle 13. Among the artists he selected to perform was fellow Puerto Rican ex-Menudo member Ricky Martin. On September 2012, he confirmed the title of album Vida which features various Latin artists performing duets with him with songs from his music career. The songs he picked for the record were inspirational tracks about life.
The first track "Esto Es Vida" features Dominican singer-songwriter Juan Luis Guerra which Rosa first recorded for his album Amor Vincit Omnia (2009). Four other songs from the album: "El Tiempo Va", "Obra de Arte", "Paraíso Prometido (Hay Que Llegar)" and "Reza Por Mí", features Rubén Blades, Enrique Bunbury, Marc Anthony, and Romeo Santos, respectively.
On October 16, 2012, Draco's manager and friend Angelo Medina announced that the album's release date had been pushed back from November 13, 2012 to February 2013 due to Rosa entering quarantine after a bone marrow transplant months before. "He's fine, he spent several months in the hospital, he was discharged and is at home in this process they call quarantine, but for 80 days, which will fall due in December. Draco has been two years in this process and I'm impressed by how brave he's faced the disease", said the producer.
On December 31, 2012, after completing his quarantine, Draco was declared cancer-free. A final statement was released on January 10, 2013, announcing that the official release date of "Vida" had been pushed back an additional month since Angelo Medina's October 2012 statement. The album's final release date would be March 19, 2013.
In an interview with Draco he said "For me this album's been a wonderful experience. In difficult times, the music, the love and support of the public and all partners involved in this project has been a source of life and inspiration. It was intense working hours at complex moments with very much solidarity, emotion and hope. I'm really excited and grateful to everyone who helped make this dream possible", said Draco. "For me, this album's been a wonderful experience. Music in difficult times, the love and support of the public and all partners involved in this project has been an inspiration and source of life", he added.
"Vida" was recorded in Spain, England, Mexico, Argentina, United States and Puerto Rico.
Promotion and release
In-stores and TV appearances
Draco held a five-day in-store tour throughout Puerto Rico from March 20–24 where he visited Cantón Mall in Bayamón, Mayagüez Kmart, Caguas Walmart, Hatillo Walmart and Plaza Las Américas in Hato Rey. Draco later after promoted "Vida" in Chicago with in-stores, TV appearances and interviews where he expressed his gratitude to the fans for making the album number 1 in Billboard's Top Latin Albums. Rosa continued to promote the album in Miami as well, where he performed at the 2013 Billboard Latin Music Awards with Maná.
The first live performance of the album took place on February 21, 2013, live from Premios Lo Nuestro 2013 at the American Airlines Arena in Miami, Florida, where Draco and Ricky Martin shared the stage and performed their single "Más y Más" for the first time since they were both in Menudo.
As part of the new projects, Draco and Ricky participated together in the recording of the single's music video in New York under the direction of Carlos Pérez. On January 14, 2013 Ricky Martin tweeted a photo of him and Draco with the caption "At the music video shoot of #MasYMas with my brother @dracorosa. #Vida". The music video was released on Draco's YouTube channel on February 13, 2013.
After making a special appearance at Alejandro Sanz's concert in Puerto Rico on May 12, 2013, in which both sang their duet of "Como Me Acuerdo", Draco and Sanz's duet was filmed and used for the music video released on October 21, 2013, which was removed from YouTube the same day.
After making his first ever appearance at the Puerto Rican Day Parade on June 9, 2013 and performing at the Copacabana in Times Square on May 11, 2013, Draco confirmed that he will film the music video for duet of "Esto Es Vida" with Juan Luis Guerra in the Dominican Republic which he appraised during his illness as one of his "best compositions". "It was a strong moment in my life. They're important parts with serious people, important", he expressed. Filming took place on June 17, 2013 at the ruins of the Engombe Sugar Mill in Santo Domingo. The video was directed by Guerra's own son, filmmaker Jean Gabriel Guerra and released on August 14, 2013.
- "Más y Más": the album's first lead single, released on January 6, 2013. The highly anticipated duet between Draco Rosa and fellow ex-Menudo member and long-time friend Ricky Martin on "Más y Más" was released on iTunes weeks after Draco's quarantine expired and was declared cancer-free on December 31, 2012. "After so many years of writing and doing projects together, I felt that the right right thing was this should be the first single. Ricky is one of the main artists with whom I've worked with, so it was a great idea to do such a pretty duet. It's that kind of things that are destined to happen", said Draco. Although both artists have not seen each other in person for many years, Draco said Ricky was one of the many friends who gave him support in one of the most difficult stages that he lives, who has been fighting cancer for the past two years. An urban version featured Ricky Martin was released exclusively on iTunes on February 25, 2013. Also a obscure version, which is only available in the Walmart Exclusive Bonus Track version of "Vida". Promotion for this single and its music video was released on May 3, 2013.
- "Esto Es Vida": on June 9, 2013, during the Puerto Rican Day Parade, Draco confirmed that his duet of "Esto Es Vida" with Dominican singer-songwriter Juan Luis Guerra will be the album's second single with its release taking place on June 25, 2013. The music video was filmed just a few days later in Santo Domingo. A bachata version of the duet was released on September 30, 2014.
|Single||Featured artist||Release date|
|"Penélope"||Maná||September 17, 2012|
|"Blanca Mujer"||Shakira||February 4, 2013|
|"Reza Por Mí"||Romeo Santos||February 8, 2013|
|"Paraíso Prometido"||Marc Anthony||March 4, 2013|
|1.||"Esto Es Vida" (feat. Juan Luis Guerra)||Draco Cornelius Rosa, Luis Gómez Escolar||Amor Vincit Omnia||4:32|
|2.||"Penélope" (feat. Maná)||Rosa, José Manuel Navarro||Vagabundo||3:57|
|3.||"Como Me Acuerdo" (feat. Alejandro Sanz)||Rosa, George Noriega, Gómez Escolar||Mad Love||3:05|
|4.||"El Tiempo Va" (feat. Rubén Blades)||Rosa, Gómez Escolar||Amor Vincit Omnia||3:45|
|5.||"Obra de Arte" (feat. Enrique Bunbury)||Rosa, Escolar||Amor Vincit Omnia||3:44|
|6.||"Blanca Mujer" (feat. Shakira)||Rosa, Escolar||Vagabundo||4:02|
|7.||"Más y Más" (feat. Ricky Martin)||Rosa, Itaal Shur, Escolar||Mad Love||3:22|
|8.||"Noche Fría" (feat. MiMA)||Rosa, Walter Afanasieff, Escolar||Mad Love||4:32|
|9.||"Vagabundo" (feat. Andrés Calamaro)||Rosa, Navarro||Vagabundo||3:26|
|10.||"Roto Por Ti" (feat. Juanes)||Rosa, Noriega, Escolar||Vino||3:35|
|11.||"Paraíso Prometido (Hay Que Llegar)" (feat. Marc Anthony)||Rosa, Escolar||Amor Vincit Omnia||4:43|
|12.||"Reza Por Mí" (feat. Romeo Santos)||Rosa, Escolar||Amor Vincit Omnia||4:39|
|13.||"Cruzando Puertas" (feat. José Feliciano)||Rosa, Escolar||Frío||4:34|
|14.||"Amantes Hasta el Fin" (feat. Ednita Nazario)||Rosa, Navarro||Vagabundo||3:57|
|15.||"Brujería" (feat. Tego Calderón)||Rosa, Escolar, Calderón||Vagabundo||2:52|
|16.||"Madre Tierra" (feat. Calle 13)||Rosa, Escolar||Vagabundo||3:38|
|Walmart Bonus Track Exclusive|
|17.||"Más y Más (Obscure Version)"||Rosa, Shur, Escolar||3:32|
|Esto Es + Vida (CD/DVD Special Edition) Bonus DVD|
|1.||"Blanca Mujer (Live Version)"|
|2.||"Esto Es Vida (Live Version)"|
|3.||"Penélope (Live Version)"|
|4.||"Quiero Vivir (Live Version)"|
|5.||"Reza Por Mí (Live Version)"|
|6.||"Más y Más (Obscure Version)"|
|7.||"Esto Es Vida (feat. Juan Luis Guerra)"|
- Marc Anthony – vocals
- Rubén Blades – vocals
- Enrique Bunbury – vocals, guitar
- Andrés Calamaro – vocals, guitar
- Tego Calderón – composer, vocals
- Dave Clauss – engineer
- Luis Gómez Escolar – composer
- Benny Faccone – mixing
- José Feliciano – vocals, guitar
- Juan Luis Guerra – vocals, guitar
- Seth Atkins Horan – engineer
- Nelson "Gazu" Jaime – engineer
- Juanes – vocals
- Allan Leschhorn – engineer
- Bob Ludwig – mastering
- Maná – vocals, guitar, bass, drums
- Ricky Martin – vocals
- MiMA – vocals
- Ednita Nazario – vocals
- George Noriega – producer
- René Pérez – vocals
- Fernando Quintana – engineer
- Draco Rosa – composer, vocals, producer
- Romeo Santos – vocals
- Alejandro Sanz – vocals
- Fabián Serrano – engineer
- Shakira – vocals
- Itaal Shur – composer
- Sadaharu Yagi – engineer
On January 28, 2012, Draco made a comeback to the public light after his long absence due to cancer treatment to announce a concert in which he will be sharing the stage with Juan Luis Guerra and Rubén Blades. The concert took place on March 30, 2012 at the Coliseo de Puerto Rico José Miguel Agrelot. Last time the three collaborated was nearly ten years before in the Banco Popular Christmas special Encuentro in 2002. To remember that collaboration, Draco's comeback was entitled "Encuentro". Angelo Medina, producer of the event, announced on February 24, 2012, that the concert was quickly sold-out and a second concert was added for March 31. Both concerts premiered two of the 16 tracks of Draco's "Vida" album. Guerra joined Draco in "Esto Es Vida" and then Blades with "El Tiempo Va" alongside Draco.
Draco & Friends
Draco made his return to the stage on December 6, 2013 at the Coliseo de Puerto Rico José Miguel Agrelot with a concert entitled "Draco & Friends". Many artists who collaborated on "Vida" performed alongside Draco, including Juan Luis Guerra, Enrique Bunbury, Calle 13's René Pérez, Juanes and Ricky Martin. Draco announced that due to overwhelming demand, a second concert date was added for December 7, 2013, which featured other guest artists performing alongside him.
|Latin Grammy Awards of 2013|
|Más y Más (feat. Ricky Martin)||Record of the Year||Nominated|
|Vida||Album of the Year||Won|
|Best Contemporary Pop Vocal Album||Nominated|
|2013 Premios Juventud|
|Más y Más (feat. Ricky Martin)||La Combinación Perfecta||Nominated|
|Mi Video Favorito||Nominated|
|56th Annual Grammy Awards|
|Vida||Best Latin Pop Album||Won|
|US Top Latin Albums (Billboard)||1|
|US Latin Pop Albums (Billboard)||1|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold (Latin)||30,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
- Los boricuas ponen la música en los Grammy Latino - El Nuevo Día.com
- Grammy Winners List 2014: Macklemore, Daft Punk & More - Huffington Post.com
- "Robi Draco Rosa tiene cáncer". People en Español (in Spanish). Time Inc. April 25, 2011. Retrieved July 31, 2013.
- "Robi Draco Rosa prepara nuevo disco mientras lucha contra el cáncer". HispanicTV (in Spanish). Time Warner. December 20, 2011. Retrieved July 31, 2013.
- "Robi Draco Rosa se recupera de cáncer y prepara nuevo disco". Terra Networks (in Spanish). Telefonica. December 12, 2011. Retrieved July 31, 2013.
- "Draco Rosa regresa con nuevo disco imperdible: Vida". Radio Programas del Perú (in Spanish). Grupo RPP S.A. September 19, 2012. Retrieved July 31, 2013.
- Corella, Randall (March 3, 2013). "Robi Draco Rosaregresa para celebrar la vida". La Nación (Grupo Nación S.A.). Retrieved July 31, 2013.
- "Amor Vincit Omnia - Draco: Overview". Allmusic. Rovi. Retrieved August 18, 2013.
- "Vida - Draco Rosa: Overview". Allmusic. Rovi. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- En cuarentena Draco tras un trasplante de médula ósea - El Nuevo Día.com
- Ricky Martin, Alejandro Sanz y Shakira cantarán con Draco Rosa en nuevo disco - El Nacional.com
- Ricky Martin y Draco Rosa, juntos en "Más y Más". ¡Escúchalo aquí! - People en Español.com
- Draco Lanza El 9 De Abril Su Nuevo Álbum "Vida" Acompañado Por La Flor Y Nata De La Música Latina - Sony Music
- Draco calienta motores para lanzamiento de nuevo disco con flamante video junto a Ricky Martin - Yahoo Mexico: Mujer
- "Vida" - Draco Rosa in-stores tour 2013 promo (Puerto Rico) on YouTube
- "Vida" - Draco Rosa in-store, Hatillo 2013 on YouTube
- Draco Rosa trajo 'Vida' a Chicago - ViveloHoy.com
- Draco Rosa en la cima de ventas con su nuevo álbum "Vida" - EvenPro.com
- Draco Rosa and Mexico's Maná Performing Together at Billboard Latin Music Awards - Billboard.com
- Maná y Draco Rosa cantarán juntos en Premios Billboard (video) - La Prensa FL.com
- Mana & Draco Rosa to Debut New Single at Billboard Latin Music Awards, 4/25 - Music.BroadwayWorld.com
- Ricky Martin y Draco cantarán juntos en Premios Lo Nuestro - El Nuevo Día.com
- Ricky Martin y Draco van a Premio Lo Nuestro - Univision.com
- En la filmación del video #MasYMas con mi hermano @dracorosa. #Vida - Ricky Martin on Twitter
- Ricky Martin graba video de "Más y Más" con Draco Rosa - Entretenimiento MSN.com
- Draco Rosa y Ricky Martin graban juntos el vídeo de “Más y Más” - People en Español.com
- Filma Ricky Martin video con Draco - Super-Stereo.mx
- Él es un músico genio, y el otro, un rey del pop; Robi Draco y Ricky Martin se juntan en Nueva York - Sin embargo.mx
- Draco Rosa - Más Y Más ft. Ricky Martin - YouTube.com
- Draco Rosa - Más Y Más (Versión Oculta) on YouTube
- Draco será el invitado de Alejandro Sanz en su concierto - El Nuevo Día.com
- Draco encuentra su 'propósito' - El Nuevo Día.com
- Robi Draco Rosa se goza la Parada Puertorriqueña - Primera Hora.com
- Draco Rosa y Juan Luis Guerra se unen en video musical - Primera Hora.com
- Guerra y Draco Rosa graban video de Esto es vida - El Universal.com.mx
- Robi Draco Rosa y Juan Luis Guerra, juntos en “Esto es vida” - NovaMix.cienRadios.com.ar
- Esto Es Vida (Nueva Version) on YouTube
- Más y Más (feat. Ricky Martin) - Single - iTunes.com
- Draco confirma que no tiene cáncer - El Nuevo Día.com
- Más y Más (feat. Ricky Martin) [Versión Urbana] - Single - iTunes.com
- WalmartPR - Facebook.com
- Draco lanza "Penélope" con Maná - El Nuevo Día.com
- Draco reaparece con "Vida" - Primera Hora.com
- Penélope (feat. Maná) - Single - iTunes.com
- Blanca Mujer (feat. Shakira) - Single - iTunes.com
- Reza por Mi (feat. Romeo Santos) - Single - iTunes.com
- Paraíso Prometido (Hay Que Llegar) [feat. Marc Anthony] - Single - iTunes.com
- El sueño de Draco - El Nuevo Día.com
- Draco Rosa & Ricky Martin Shooting Video Together - Latin Gossip.com
- Draco Rosa: Vida - iTunes.com
- Histórico junte entre Draco Rosa, Rubén Blades y Juan Luis Guerra - Primera Hora.com
- Abren nueva función para concierto de Draco, Rubén Blades y Juan Luis Guerra - El Nuevo Día.com
- Draco Rosa - Ticketpop.com
- Draco Rosa: Concert en PR - KQ105.Univision.com
- Draco abre segunda función en el Coliseo de Puerto Rico - El Nuevo Día.com
- "Draco Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Top Latin Albums for Draco. Retrieved July 31, 2013.
- "Draco Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Latin Pop Albums for Draco. Retrieved July 31, 2013.
- "American album certifications – Draco – Vida". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click Type, then select Latin, then click SEARCH
This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.