The Victorian Railways F class locomotives were built in 1874 (the pattern engine), 1876-7 and 1879-80 by Beyer Peacock and the Phoenix Foundry in Ballarat as 2-4-0 tender locomotives. They were normally used on passenger trains. In 1911 the Victorian Railways decided to convert seven of them into 'motor' locomotives. These became 2-4-2 tanks. They kept their numbers 172-184(evens only). The unrebuilt tender engines were taken off register between 1916 and 1922. The 'motors' were taken off register between 1920 and 1929. One luckily survived after being sold to HV Mackay Sunshine Harvister works in 1920, number 176 were it stayed there shunting until 1961. It was then donated to the ARHS in Williamstown and is now the oldest surviving Victorian Railway locomotive, being built in 1880.
- Victorian Preserved Steam Locomotives detailed information about all surviving ex-VR steam locos.
- Diagram of 2-4-0 F class locomotive
- Diagram of 2-4-2T F class locomotive
- Picture of F 172
- Pattern engine 98
- F 182
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.