|Nearest City||North Paravur|
|• Total||7.74 km2 (2.99 sq mi)|
|• Density||2,909/km2 (7,530/sq mi)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Varapuzha (Malayalam: വരാപ്പുഴ, anglicised Verapoly) is a Northern town of Cochin city. It is a census town in Paravur Taluk, Ernakulam district in the Indian state of Kerala. The nearest town is North Paravur 8 km away. The village is situated in the NH 66 connecting Vytilla with North Paravur. Its specialty is that considerably large scale paddy cultivating area is situating western part of Varapuzha which is called Devaswompadam, specialised with Pokkali paddy cultivation and interim crop as fish cultivation locally called 'Kettu'. The common work of the villagers are Fishing and Agriculture.
Varapuzha Carmelite Church : This church was established by Missionaries of Carmelite. This church was the prime centre of Kerala's Roman Catholic Church as Varapuzha was the base of foreign missionaries in India.
There are various theories which suggest that the name Varapuzha came from the word 'Varaha'(tortoise) which is a type of fish found in large quantities in the nearby river. Another theory suggests that the name came from the ancient VARAHA temple situated on the bank of Varapuzha. PUZHA ('Puzha' means river in Malayalam) and hence the name originated from VARAHA and PUZHA (River)(Ref.: Late Cheekku sir brother of wellknown Sri T M Chummar) Varapuzha church has played a significant role in the upheaval of the surrounding areas, especially in education and health sectors.
As of 2001[update] India census, Varappuzha had a population of 24,516. Males constitute 48% of the population and females 52%. Varappuzha has an average literacy rate of 84%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 85%, and female literacy is 83%. In Varappuzha, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age. Varapuzha was in news recently, when the theme song of the Indi commandos was pictured here at the backwaters of this Village, by famous director Piryadarshan.
The majority of population belongs to Christian community. In Chirakkakom and Thevarkad most of the people belongs to Hindu Kudumbi and Konkani community.
- St. George Syro-Malabar Catholic Church, Puthenpally
- St.Joseph & Mount carmel Church Varapuzha
- St. Thomas church varapuzha
- Infant Jesus Roman Catholic Church, Thundathum Kadavu
- St.Mary's Syro-Malabar Catholic Church,Thundathumkadavu
- Karmel Mewnet Church Varapuzha
- Christ nagar Church Chetibhagam
- St. Thomas Syro-Malabar Catholic Church,Edampadam Varapuzha
- Sree Kattil Bhagavathy Temple, Mannamthuruth
- Kuttikkattu Sree JayaDurga Temple
- Sree Varaha Swamy Temple
- Devaswompadam Vanadurga Temple
- Vishnu Temple Chirakkakom
- Gurudeva Temple Mannamthuruth
- SreeNarayana Temple Thevarkad
- Murtuga Temple Thevarkad
- Muhayudeen Jumamasjid Mannamthuruth
- St.George Higher Secondary School, Puthenpally
- Govt.U.P School, Chirakkakom
- St.Joseph LP School, Mannamthuruth
- Holy Infant Boys HS, Edampadam
- St.Joseph Girls HS, Edampadam
- Infant Jesus LP School, Thundathum kadav
- St.Mary’s LP School Muttinakom
- Parur – Vytilla NH66
- Varapuzha - Kadamakkudy road
- Parur(Kottuvally) - Chennur - Chittur Ernakulam road
- Rosy Thomas
- Pappan - Famous Volleyball Player
- V.M.Venkateswara Pai- The famous Communist
- Thenamkodath Jose Sir
- R.K.P. VARAPUZHA-NOVELIST,AUTHOR OF DRAMAS
- Adv. A.J.R Varghese
Varapuzha(Edampadam),Thevarkad,vattapotta, Chirakkakom, Puthenpally, Muttinakom, Mannamthuruth, Thundathunkadavu, Chettibhagam, Devaswompadam,Olanad,Muttinakam
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Varappuzha.|
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
|This article related to a location in Ernakulam district, Kerala, India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|