||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2011)|
- This page relates to the famous south indian actress, Vanisri
August 3, 1948
She gained attention with a supporting role in a film penned by K. Balachander titled Sukha Dukhalu (1967), where the famous song "Idi Mallela Velayani" was picturized on her. It led to her first starring role in Telugu films, Marapurani Kadha (1967). She remained a heroine after this film and held the top spot through most of the 1970s.
Vanisri had several super hit and silver jubilee movies, such as Krishnaveni(Telugu Remake of Kannada Movie Sharapanjara), Prem Nagar, Dasara Bullodu, Aradhana, Jeevitha Chakram, Rangula Ratnam, Sri Krishna Tulabharam, Bhakta Kannappa, and Bobbili Raja, etc. She played dual roles in Iddaru Ammayilu (1972)[Telugu Remake of 1969 release Kannada film Kappu Bilupu), Ganga Manga (1973 remake of the Hindi film Seeta Aur Geeta), Jeevana Jyothi (1975), and Chilipi Krishnudu (1978). She financed and starred in Shyam Benegal's only Telugu film Anugraham (1977), co-starring Smita Patil. She acted with Sivaji Ganesan in a number of films such as Uyarntha Manithan (1968), Nirai Kudam (1969), Vasantha Maligai (1972), Sivakamiyin Selvan (1974), Vani Rani (Tamil remake of the Hindi film Seeta Aur Geeta) (1974) and Nallathoru Kudumbam (1979). In the late 1970s, Vanisri left films to get married and have a son and a daughter.
Vanisri returned to film in the late 1980s acting in mother roles, such as her character in Athaku Yamudu Ammayiki Mogudu (1989). She was also in the 1999 hindi film Main Tere Pyar Mein Pagal directed by Telugu director K. Raghavendra Rao. She often portrays arrogant mothers-in-law or aunts. Vanisri has acted in television serials as well.
She also worked as politician in Congress party.
- 1973 - Filmfare Best Actress Award for Jeevana Tarangalu
- 1974 - Filmfare Best Actress Award for Krishnaveni
- 1975 - Filmfare Best Actress Award for Jeevana Jyothi
- Kavignar Kannadasan Award in 2001
- Meena Kumari award at the Vamsi Awards in 2004
- Madhavapeddi Prabhavathi awards by the Siva Foundation in 2005
Main article: Vanisri filmography
Social Service and Welfare Activities
- Adharana - Vansiri constructed a home for aged in Film Industry.
- A Mobile Theatre to spot talent from various parts of Andhra Pradesh.
- A school to help the poor who cannot afford expensive education.
- A Hospital constructed for tribal people,at Bayyanna gudem, Khammam district of Andhrapradesh.