|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Lebanon, New Hampshire|
The University Press of New England (or UPNE), located in Lebanon, New Hampshire and founded in 1970, is a university press consortium including Brandeis University, Dartmouth College (its host member), the University of New Hampshire, and Northeastern University. Titles published by the press have been reviewed by The New York Times, Publishers Weekly, Boston Globe, Los Angeles Times, USA Today, Library Journal, Washington Post, All Things Considered and many other venues.
Notable fiction authors published by UPNE include Howard Frank Mosher, Roxana Robinson, Ernest Hebert, Cathie Pelletier, Chris Bohjalian, Percival Everett, Laurie Alberts and Walter D. Wetherell. Notable poets distributed by the press include Rae Armantrout, Claudia Rankine, James Tate, Mary Ruefle, Donald Revell, Ellen Bryant Voigt, James Wright, Jean Valentine, Stanley Kunitz, Heather McHugh, and Yusef Komunyakaa. Notable nature and environment authors published include William Sargent, Cynthia Huntington, David Gessner, John Hay, and Tom Wessels. Notable scholarly authors published by UPNE and its members include Kathleen J. Ferraro, Jehuda Reinharz, Joyce Antler, Peter Gizzi, Mary Caroline Richards, Leslie Cannold, Colin Calloway, and Gina Barreca. UPNE and distributor authors and titles have received many honors and awards including the National Book Award, Pulitzer Prize, Guggenheim Fellowships, NEA Literature Fellowships, and the Barnes & Noble Discovery Award.
The press publishes books for scholars, educators, students, and the general public, concentrating on American studies, literature, history, and cultural studies; art, architecture, and material culture; ethnic studies (African American, Jewish, Native American, Shaker, and international studies); nature and the environment; and New England history and culture. It publishes around eighty titles annually, with sales of $2.5 million, and distributes titles for a number of other small and academic presses, museums and non-profit societies.
All titles published by
Selected titles published by
- The New York Times Book Review Books in Brief: Fiction > February 11, 2001 > The Great Stone Face By William Ferguson > A Review of The Old American by Ernest Hebert
- The New York Times Book Review > Books in Brief: Enuf Pafology By Jenifer Berman > A Review of Erasure by Percival Everett > Sunday, October 7, 2001
- UPNE > Book Page: Where the Rivers Flow North by Howard Frank Mosher
- UPNE > Book Page: Water Witches by Chris. Bohjalian
- UPNE > Book Page: Door in the Mountain by Jean Valentine
- UPNE > Book Page: Neon Vernacular by Yusef Komunyakaa
- UPNE > Book Page: The Wisest Man in America by W.D. Wetherell
- Ploughshares > Authors & Articles > Contributor's Notes > Frank X. Gaspar
- University Press of New England > About
- University Press of New England
- Wesleyan University Press
- Brandeis University Press
- Northeastern University Press
- Cavankerry Press
- Sheep Meadow Press
- Winterthur Museum
This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.