A United Nations Military Observer (UNMO) is an observer for the UN. They have been described as, "the eyes and ears of the security council." Several Observer missions have been executed. An example of a currently running observer mission is the UNMOGIP at the border between India and Pakistan, which being "Set up in 1949, ...was deployed in January of that year to supervise the ceasefire agreed between India and Pakistan in the State of Jammu and Kashmir [and since] renewed hostilities in 1971, ...monitors the ceasefire called for by the United Nations Security Council." .
Duties of UNMO's
- Monitor the various agreements on cease-fires, withdrawals and demilitarization.
- Patrol both sides of the conflict, including the areas along the confrontation lines.
- Help resolve local difficulties (social, economic, etc.) by liaison with all sides of the conflict.
- Investigate allegations of aggression or cease-fire violations.Archived October 26, 2009 at the Wayback Machine
First mission in Kashmir
- Location and Headquarters: ceasefire line in Jammu and Kashmir states with major posts in Rawalpindi, Pakistan / Srinagar, India
- Primary observing officer: Croatian Major-General Dragutin Repinc appointed by Kofi Annan
- Participating observers: 113 military and civilian personnel, from 8 countries
- Casualties: 11
- Time frame: 1949–present
Deployment map Observing line UNMOGIP officers
Similar mission in Timor-Leste
- Location and Headquarters: Republica Democratica Timor-Leste with major post in Dili, formerly East Timor
- Primary observing officer: Atul Khare appointed by Kofi Annan
- Participating observers: 34 with 1,600 supporting UN Police
- Time frame: 2006–present, previous missions UNAMET 1999, UNTAET 1999-2002, UNMISET 2002-2005, and UNOTIL 2005-2006
Daily News & Analysis
Daily News & Analysis
Wed, 15 Oct 2014 00:50:49 -0700
A team of UN military observers has visited the villages along the International Border with India to get first-hand information on the situation, Pakistani officials said on Wednesday. The UN Military Observers Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP ...
UN News Centre
Tue, 07 Oct 2014 03:30:31 -0700
According to the Press Counsellor in the Pakistan High Commission here, Pakistan has recorded protest at United Nations Military Observer Group In India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) office in Islamabad on the LoC situation. India has always maintained that ...
The New Indian Express
Thu, 23 Oct 2014 17:22:30 -0700
Accusing India of “deliberate and unprovoked violations of the ceasefire agreement and cross-border firing”, Pakistan promptly shot off a letter to the UN secretary-general asking for an intervention by the United Nations Military Observer Group in ...
New York Times
New York Times
Fri, 10 Oct 2014 17:33:45 -0700
At her weekly news briefing in Islamabad, Tasnim Aslam, the spokeswoman for Pakistan's Foreign Office, said that Pakistan had taken representatives from the United Nations Military Observer Group in Pakistan and India to its side of the Line of Control ...
Asian Human Rights Commission News
Thu, 23 Oct 2014 03:18:45 -0700
All those named and charged in the FIR have been accused of raising their voices against the state during a demonstration held on the 14th of October 2014 in front of the office of United Nations Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP ...
Tue, 21 Oct 2014 14:56:15 -0700
Moreover, Islamabad presently awaits a related assessment report being prepared by the United Nations Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) following a recent visit of its observers to the areas of LoC and Working Boundary affected by ...
Mon, 27 Oct 2014 00:41:15 -0700
Islamabad presently awaits a related assessment report being prepared by the United Nations Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) following a recent visit of its observers to the areas of LoC and Working Boundary affected by the ...
Tue, 14 Oct 2014 05:36:58 -0700
Pakistani Taliban spokesman Shahidullah Shahid and five other senior leaders pledged their allegiance to the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, according to news reports on Tuesday (ET, Dawn). In addition to Shahid, allegiance was sworn by the Taliban's ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.