Tulu film industry is a part of Indian cinema. It produces 2 to 3 films annually. The first film being Enna Thangadi released in 1971. Usually these films are released in theatres across the Tulu Nadu region and on DVD. The critically acclaimed Tulu Film Suddha, won the award for the best Indian Film at the Osian film festival held at New Delhi in the year 2006. Oriyardori Asal released in 2011 is the most successful Tulu film till date.
- The first Tulu film is Enna Thangadi released in 1971.
- Dareda Budedi produced by K.N. Taylor was the second feature film released in 1971.
- Koti Chennaya (1973) directed by Vishu Kumar was the first history-based Tulu cinema.
- The first Tulu colour film Kariyani Kattandi Kandani was produced in 1978 by Aroor Bhimarao.
- Bisatti Babu produced in 1972 was the first film to receive the State government award as the best Tulu film.
- Bangar Patler produced in 1993 by Richard Castelino has bagged the highest national and international awards.
- September 8, directed by Richard Castelino, starring Kannada actor Sunil and Kannada writer, Dr. K Shivaram Karanth was shot in 24 hours entirely in Mangalore, a record in the world cinema.
- Sudda won the award for the best Indian film at the eighth Asian Film Festival "Ocean - Cinefan"
- Nirel directed by Ranjith Bajpe, produced by Shodhan Prasad and co produced by San Poojary will be the first Tulu movie totally produced overseas.
List of Tulu language films
- 1. Enna Tangadi (My Sister)
- 2. Daredha Budedhi(wedded wife)
- 3. Pagetta Puge (Fumes of Hatred)
- 4. Bisatti Babu (Knife Babu)
- 5. Koti Chennayya
- 6. Kaasdaya Kandane (Rich Family)
- 7. Udalda Tudar(Light Of Heart)
- 8. Yaan Sanyasi Aape (I will become a Saint)
- 9. Bayya Mallige (Dusk Jasmine)
- 10. Yer Malthina Tappu (Whose Mistake was it ?)
- 11. Saaviradorti Saavithri (Saavithri - The one in a Thousand)
- 12. Inquilab Zindabad
- 13. Tulu Naada Siri (The Richness of Tulu Nadu)
- 14. Sangama Saakshi (Witness of the Union)
- 15. Nyaayogaad Enna Baduku (My life is for Justice)
- 16. Bollidota(Silver Garden)
- 17. Kariyani Kattandi Kandani(Husband not tied Mangalasutra)
- 18. Bhagyavantedi (Lucky Lady)
- 19. Badkere Budle (Let live)
- 20. Daareda Seere(wedding saree)
- 21. Raathri Pagel (Night and Day)
- 22. Pettayi Pili (Hurted Tiger)
- 23. Badkonji Kabite (Life is a Song)
- 24. Satya Olumdu (Where is the Truth ?)
- 25. Bangar Patler (Gold-hearted Patel)
- 26. Badk Da Bile (The value of Life)
- 27. September 8
- 28. Kaala (Time)
- 29. Mari Bale (The Evil Trap)
- 30. Onthe Edjast Malpi (Please adjust a bit)
- 31. Suddha (The Cleansing Rites)
- 32. Kadala Mage (Son of the Sea)
- 33. Birse (Intelligent)
- 34. Kanchilda Baale (Blessed Girl)
- 35. Oriyardori Asal (One Smarter than the other)
- 36. Aamait Asal Eemait Kusal (Comedy of Errors)
- 37. Bangarda Kural (Golden Corn)
- 38. Telikeda Bolli (Smiling Star)
- 39. Sompa
- 40. Gaggara
- 41. Badi(Dowry)
- 42. Koti Chennaya (2007)
- 43. Rickshaw Driver(Auto driver)
- 44. Pakkilu Mooji(Three birds)
- 45. Barke (Kudlada Pilikulena Kathe) Part - 1
- 46. Nirel (Shadow)
- 47. Rang (Colour)
- 48. Barke (Kudlada Pilikulena Kathe) Part-2
- 49. Brahmashri Narayana Guru(Story of famous saint narayana guru)
- 50. Chaali Polilu (Rascals)
- 51. Ekka Saka
- 52. Oriyan Thoonda Origaapuji(Dislike each other)
- 53. "Ini Athnda Elle"(Today Or Tomorrow)
- 54. "Madime"(Wedding)
- 55. Mullabeli(compound of horn)
- 56. Soombe(Delete/Sorry/Not Done/Erase)
- 57. "Bailakural''''Bold text'"
- 58 "Rangdha Dibbana"(colourful wedding procision)
- 59 "Madme Onji Avodattha"(should get marry)
- 60 " Beere Devu Poonje"
Sat, 22 Nov 2014 22:58:11 -0800
Veteran Tulu artiste K N Tailor, known as the 'Bheeshma' of Tulu theatre, was honoured with Lifetime Achievement Award for his contribution to Tulu cinema over the decades. Arjun Kapikad won the Best Actor (Male) award for 'Telikeda Bolli' while the ...
Tue, 18 Nov 2014 18:48:45 -0800
A Tulu cinema 'Madime' will hit the cinemas here on November 20. Produced by Balakrishna Films and directed by Tulu playwright and director Vijaya Kumar Kodialbail, it would be the 53rd Tulu movie to be made. Addressing presspersons here on Tuesday ...
Sat, 25 Oct 2014 20:59:49 -0700
Two legendary stalwarts of Tulu cinema, Vijaykumar Kodialbail and Devdas Kapikad, have come together in 'Chaali Polilu' for the first time. Also, 'Chaali Polilu' has brought together the finest actors from the Tulu film industry to set the screens on ...
Tue, 11 Nov 2014 21:26:15 -0800
Later Pravin Kumar Shetty of Fortune Group of Hotels, Harish Sherigar of Kannadiga World, Shodhan Prasad, producer of NIREL Tulu Cinema, Prakash Rao Payyar of Dwani Prathistana, Ganesh Rai, former president of Karnataka Sangha Sharjah, Herman ...
Tue, 26 Aug 2014 00:32:53 -0700
Vijayakumar's 'Oriyardori Asal' had created a record of sorts in Tulu cinema by running for over 25 weeks, and setting a new bar of success. 'Madime' is all set to entertain the audiences during September this year. This is a big budget film being ...
Wed, 08 Oct 2014 20:22:30 -0700
The 52nd Tulu cinema 'Chali Polilu' is all set to be released this month. Produced by Jayakirana Films, the cinema featured well known comedians Devdas Kapikkad, Naveen D. Padil, Bhojaraja Vamanjoor, Arvind Bolar, Sundar Rai Mandara and others.
Tue, 15 Jul 2014 11:29:15 -0700
Mangalore, Jul 14: Dubbing work for Tulu movie 'Chaali Polilu', which is being produced by Prakash Pandeshwar under 'Jayakirana Films' banner, and release of which is eagerly awaited by enthusiastic crowds, has been completed at a single stretch.
Sun, 09 Mar 2014 03:14:10 -0700
Speaking after inaugurating the event, Manohar Prasad said competition has increased in the field of Tulu cinema, which he said is a good development. On the latest Tulu movie he said, "The specialty of this movie is that four great and well-known ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.