Tulu film industry is a part of Indian cinema. It produces 2 to 3 films annually. The first film being Enna Thangadi released in 1971. Usually these films are released in theatres across the Tulu Nadu region and on DVD. The critically acclaimed Tulu Film Suddha, won the award for the best Indian Film at the Osian film festival held at New Delhi in the year 2006. Oriyardori Asal released in 2011 is the most successful Tulu film till date.
- The first Tulu film is Enna Thangadi released in 1971.
- Dareda Budedi produced by K.N. Taylor was the second feature film released in 1971.
- Koti Chennaya (1973) directed by Vishu Kumar was the first history-based Tulu cinema.
- The first Tulu colour film Kariyani Kattandi Kandani was produced in 1978 by Aroor Bhimarao.
- Bisatti Babu produced in 1972 was the first film to receive the State government award as the best Tulu film.
- Bangar Patler produced in 1993 by Richard Castelino has bagged the highest national and international awards.
- September 8, directed by Richard Castelino, starring Kannada actor Sunil and Kannada writer, Dr. K Shivaram Karanth was shot in 24 hours entirely in Mangalore, a record in the world cinema.
- Sudda won the award for the best Indian film at the eighth Asian Film Festival "Ocean - Cinefan"
- Nirel directed by Ranjith Bajpe, produced by Shodhan Prasad and co produced by San Poojary will be the first Tulu movie totally produced overseas.
List of Tulu language films
- 1. Enna Tangadi (My Sister)
- 2. Daredha Budadhi
- 3. Pagetta Puge (Fumes of Hatred)
- 4. Bisatti Babu (Knife Babu)
- 5. Koti Chennayya
- 6. Kaasdaya Kandane (Rich Family)
- 7. Udalda Todar
- 8. Yaan Sanyasi Aape (I will become a Saint)
- 9. Bayya Mallige (Dusk Jasmine)
- 10. Yer Malthina Tappu (Whose Mistake was it ?)
- 11. Saaviradorti Saavithri (Saavithri - The one in a Thousand)
- 12. Inquilab Zindabad
- 13. Tulu Naada Siri (The Richness of Tulu Nadu)
- 14. Sangama Saakshi (Witness of the Union)
- 15. Nyaayogaad Enna Baduku (My life is for Justice)
- 16. Bollidota
- 17. Kariyani Kattandi Kandane
- 18. Bhagyavantedi (Lucky Lady)
- 19. Badkere Budle (Let live)
- 20. Daareda Seere
- 21. Raathri Pagel (Night and Day)
- 22. Pettayi Pili (Hurt Tiger)
- 23. Badkonji Kavite (Life is a Song)
- 24. Satya Olumdu (Where is the Truth ?)
- 25. Bangar Patler (Gold-hearted Patel)
- 26. Badk Da Bile (The value of Life)
- 27. September 8
- 28. Kaala (Time)
- 29. Mari Bale (The Evil Trap)
- 30. Omte Edjast Malpi (Please adjust a bit)
- 31. Suddha (The Cleansing Rites)
- 32. Kadala Mage (Son of the Sea)
- 33. Birse (Intelligent)
- 34. Kanchilda Baale (Blessed Girl)
- 35. Oriyardori Asal (One smarter than the other)
- 36. Aamait Asal Eemait Kusal (comedy of errors)
- 37. Bangarda Kural (golden corn)
- 38. Telikeda Bolli (smiling star)
- 39. Sompa
- 40. Gaggara
- 41. Badi
- 42. Koti Chennaya( 2007 )
- 43. Rickshaw Driver
- 44. Pakkilu 3
- 45. Barke (Kudlada Pilikulena Kathe) Part - 1
- 46. Nirel (Shadow)
- 47.Rang (Colour)
- 49. Ekka Saka
- 50. Brahmashri Narayana Guru
- 51. Chaali Polilu(rascals)
- 52.Oriyan Thoonda Origaapuji
- 53.Ini Atthnda Elle
- 54. Barke (Kudlada Pilikulena Kathe)Part-2
- Ee Prapancha: Tulu Cinema at 35
- "Things fall apart". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 2006-04-29.
- "Filmmaker extraordinary". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 2006-07-21.
- "'Oriyardori Asal' headed for 175-day run in theatres!". Dakshintimes.com. Retrieved November 7, 2011.
- "It's been a roller-coaster for 40 years". Chennai, India: The Hindu. May 20, 2011. Retrieved May 20, 2011.
- "Johnny Lever to act in a Tulu film - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- TULU NADU and CINEMA