||This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010)|
|Trinity College Library Dublin|
|The Old Library building|
|Location||College Street, Dublin 2|
|Items collected||Books, journals, newspapers, magazines, sound and music recordings, databases, maps, prints and manuscripts|
|Size||c. 5,000,000 volumes|
|Criteria for collection||Acquisition through purchase, bequest and legal deposit|
|Legal deposit||Republic of Ireland (Copyright and Related Rights Act, 2000) and United Kingdom (Legal Deposit Libraries Act, 2003)|
|Access and use|
|Access requirements||Staff, graduates (reading privileges only) and students of the university. Other readers admitted under cross-institutional arrangements, or if material is unavailable elsewhere. Old Library and Library Gift Shop open to public|
|Director||Robin Adams (Librarian)|
The Trinity College Library, located at Trinity College, Dublin, is the largest library in Ireland. As a "copyright library", it has legal deposit rights for material published in the Republic of Ireland; it is also the only Irish library to hold such rights for the United Kingdom.
The library is also the permanent home to the famous Book of Kells. Two of the four volumes are on public display, one opened to a major decorated page and the other to a typical page of text. The volumes and pages shown are regularly changed. 
The current librarian, Robin Adams, is Chair of the Irish Universities Association Librarians' Group.
- the Old Library, incorporating:
- the Early Printed Books Reading Room;
- the Manuscripts Reading Room;
- the Berkeley/Lecky/Ussher (BLU) Libraries complex, incorporating:
- the Berkeley Library (including the Multimedia Area);
- the Lecky Library;
- the Ussher Library;
- the Glucksman Map Library and Conservation Department;
- the Hamilton Science and Engineering Library;
- the 1937 Reading Room (for postgraduate use);
- the John Stearne Medical Library, housed at St James's Hospital.
Further materials are held in storage, either in closed access stacks on campus or at a book depository in the Dublin suburb of Santry.
Starting at 4 pm on Saturday 29 November 2009, the Trinity Students' Union organised a 24 hour sit-in in protest at a reduced book-buying budget, lack of access to books on Sundays, and a proposed reduction of counter services.
The library began with the founding of Trinity College in 1592. In 1661, Henry Jones presented it with the Book of Kells, its most famous manuscript. James Ussher (1625–56), Archbishop of Armagh, whose most important works were "Veterum Epistolarum Hibernicarum Sylloge", published in 1632, and "Brittanicarum Ecclesiarum Antiquitates", which appeared in 1639, left his valuable library, comprising several thousand printed books and manuscripts, to Trinity College, Dublin, and his complete works were published by that institution in twenty-four volumes.
The main chamber of the old library, the Long Room, was built between 1712 and 1732 and houses the library's oldest books. By the 1850's the room needed to be expanded as the shelves were filled, and so the roof was raised to accommodate an upper gallery.
Legal deposit library status 
According to the Republic of Ireland's Copyright and Related Rights Act, 2000, the Library is entitled, along with the National Library of Ireland and the libraries of the National University of Ireland, the University of Limerick, and Dublin City University, to receive a copy of all works published in the Republic of Ireland. Also, as a result of the British Legal Deposit Libraries Act 2003, which continues a more ancient right dating from 1801, the Library is entitled, along with the British Library, the Bodleian Library at Oxford, Cambridge University Library, the National Library of Wales and the National Library of Scotland, to receive a copy on request of all works published in the United Kingdom.
In popular culture 
The Jedi archives of the Jedi Temple in the movie Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones bear a resemblance to the Long Room of the Trinity College Library. This resemblance resulted in controversy as permission had not been sought to use the building's likeness in the film. However, Lucasfilm denied that the Trinity library was the basis for the Jedi archives, and officials from Trinity College Library decided not to take legal actions.
See also 
- "University and College Officers - University and Professors, Associate Professors, Lecturers and other Officers". College Calendar, Trinity College Dublin. 2008. p. B117.
- Indymedia Ireland
- "History of the Library". Retrieved January 28, 2013.
- "The Old Library". Retrieved January 28, 2013.
- Justin Jaffe, Attack of the Clones, Indeed
Further reading 
- Fox, Peter Treasures of the Library: Trinity College Dublin. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, 1986 ISBN 978-0-901714-45-9
- Fox, Peter "The Librarians of Trinity College", in: Vincent Kinane, Anne Walshe, eds., A History of Trinity College Library, Dublin. Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2000 ISBN 1-85182-467-7
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Trinity College Library|
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.