Redmond with the Toronto Blue Jays
|Toronto Blue Jays – No. 58|
May 17, 1985 |
St. Petersburg, Florida
|August 18, 2012 for the Cincinnati Reds|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||3.94|
|Competitor for United States|
|Pan American Games|
|Silver||2011 Guadalajara||National team|
Redmond spent parts of eight seasons in the minor leagues. He was in his fourth season with the Braves' triple-A affiliate in Gwinnett before being called up for the first time in his career on June 17, 2012. He was optioned back to Gwinnett on June 21.
Redmond was traded to the Cincinnati Reds on July 14 in exchange for Paul Janish. The Reds immediately sent him to their Triple-A affiliate Louisville Bats. He was called up on July 17, and optioned back on July 18. He was called up on July 31, and optioned back on August 1. Redmond was called up again on August 18 to start the second game of a doubleheader against the Chicago Cubs. He would be the 26th player on the roster. Redmond picked up the loss in the second game, pitching three and one/third innings. He gave up a leadoff home run to Brett Jackson in the 2nd inning to give the Cubs an early lead. After giving up consecutive RBI hits to Anthony Rizzo and Starlin Castro in the top of the 4th inning, he was relieved by Alfredo Simon. He was optioned back to the Louisville Bats the next day, August 19.
Toronto Blue Jays
On February 13, 2013, he was claimed off waivers by the Baltimore Orioles. On March 22, 2013, Redmond was claimed by the Toronto Blue Jays, and immediately optioned to the Triple-A Buffalo Bisons. Redmond spent the first 41 games of the 2013 season on the disabled list with a shoulder injury. He played his first game of the season on May 19 when he started against the Charlotte Knights.
Redmond was called up by the Blue Jays on May 29, 2013. On May 31, 2013, he took the loss in a 17-inning game against the San Diego Padres. Redmond was optioned back to Triple-A Buffalo on June 7, 2013. He was recalled on July 3 after Chien-Ming Wang was designated for assignment. Redmond, starting on July 7 against the Minnesota Twins, pitched 5 innings and gave up just 1 hit, a two-run home run to Aaron Hicks. He walked 3 and struck out 4 batters, and left with a 6–2 lead, earning his first career win. Redmond established career-highs in innings pitched and strikeouts with 6 and 10 respectively, in a game against the Houston Astros on July 28, 2013. Redmond was optioned back to Buffalo on August 3, and recalled on August 13.
On May 31, 2014, Redmond earned his first big league save, pitching 3 innings in relief of Marcus Stroman's first career start. Redmond was announced as the Blue Jays' nominee for the 2014 Roberto Clemente Award on September 17.
- "Pirates acquire Yates from Braves | braves.com: News". Atlanta.braves.mlb.com. 2012-06-19. Retrieved 2012-08-19.
- "G-Braves' Redmond pitches no-hitter". ajc.com. 2010-05-28. Retrieved 2012-08-19.
- Veteran Minor Leaguer Redmond gets the call
- "Reds recall pitcher Todd Redmond from Triple-A for doubleheader - MLB - SI.com". Sportsillustrated.cnn.com. 2012-08-15. Retrieved 2012-08-19.
- "Baltimore Orioles Claim Todd Redmond From Reds, Designate Trayvon Robinson For Assignment". February 8, 2013. Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- Richer, Clayton (March 22, 2013). "Toronto Blue Jays Claim Todd Redmond From the Baltimore Orioles". Retrieved March 22, 2013.
- "Bisons offense strikes big in 11-6 win". milb.com. May 19, 2013. Retrieved May 20, 2013.
- "Blue Jays promote 3 Herd hurlers". Buffalo Bisons. May 29, 2013. Retrieved May 29, 2013.
- Chisholm, Gregor (June 8, 2013). "After surgeries, McGowan to return to Blue Jays". MLB.com. Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- Dakers, Tom (July 2, 2013). "Blue Jays DFA Chien-Ming Wang, Call Up Todd Redmond". Bluebird Banter. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- "Journeyman hurler Todd Redmond comes through in Toronto Blue Jays win". Canada.com. July 8, 2013. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- "Redmond, Rasmus lead Blue Jays over Astros". TSN.ca. July 28, 2013. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- Chisholm, Gregor (August 3, 2013). "Redmond optioned to bring up another reliever". mlb.com. Retrieved August 3, 2013.
- Newman, Mark (September 17, 2014). "MLB announces Clemente Award nominees". MLB.com. Retrieved September 17, 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)