Location of Thurston Island
|Area||15,700 km2 (6,060 sq mi)|
|Length||215 km (133.6 mi)|
|Width||90 km (56 mi)|
|Highest elevation||750 m (2,460 ft)|
|Highest point||Mount Howell|
|Administered under the Antarctic Treaty System|
Thurston Island is an ice-covered, glacially dissected island, 215 km (134 mi) long, 90 km (56 mi) wide and 15,700 km2 (6,062 sq mi) in area, lying a short way off the NW end of Ellsworth Land, Antarctica. It is the third largest island of Antarctica, after Alexander Island and Berkner Island. The island is separated from the mainland by Peacock Sound, which is occupied by the western portion of Abbot Ice Shelf.
The island was discovered from the air by Rear Admiral Byrd on February 27, 1940, who named it for W. Harris Thurston, New York textile manufacturer, designer of the windproof "Byrd Cloth" and sponsor of Antarctic expeditions.
See also 
- Composite Antarctic Gazetteer
- List of Antarctic and sub-Antarctic islands
- List of Antarctic islands south of 60° S
- Territorial claims in Antarctica
- "Antarctic Gazetteer: Thurston Island". Australian Antarctic Division. Retrieved 2008-01-26.
|This Ellsworth Land location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|