The Publishers Association (PA) is the trade organisation serving book, journal and electronic publishers in the United Kingdom, established in 1895. Its is to strengthen the trading environment for UK publishers by providing a strong voice for the industry in government, in society and with other stakeholders in the UK, Europe and internationally. It seeks to provide a forum for the exchange of non‑competitive information between publishers and offer support and guidance to the industry through technological and other changes.
The PA’s board, known as the PA Council, consists of 15 representatives elected from the membership, together with the chairs of the Trade Publishers Council, the Academic and Professional Board, the Educational Publishers Council, and the International Board; and the chief executive. It meets approximately six times a year. A member of Council may serve up to two three-year terms.
The Publishers Association's officers for 2013-2014 are:
The senior management team includes
- Richard Mollet, the Chief Executive Officer
- Mark Wharton, the director of operations
- Emma House, director of publisher relations.
Membership of the Publishers Association is open to bona fide publishers that carry on the business of publishing in the UK and satisfy the membership criteria. There are two categories of membership:
- Membership for UK publishers with a turnover greater than £2.5 million
- SME membership for UK publishers with a turnover of less than £2.5 million
- The Trade Publishers Council determines PA policy on consumer market matters, and acts on specific issues with the aim of expanding the market and increasing efficiency. Other trade groups include the Children’s Book Group and Religious Book Group.
- The Academic and Professional division provides a forum for higher education, scholarly and reference publishers, representing publishers, conducting market research and running a number of events.
- The Educational Publishers Council provides a voice for school, college and vocational publishers. It campaigns for better funding for learning resources and represents the industry in the development of the market, as well as running seminars and compiling market statistics.
- The International division supports the international sales activities of PA members. It acts against piracy and on copyright and trade barrier issues, and organises trade missions and UK representation at international trade fairs.
- TurnKey Exhibition Services provides a complete exhibition service for publishers, from booking space to organising shipping.
- ^ "The Organisation of the Work and Activities of Publishing Associations". Center for Publishing Development, Open Society Institute. Retrieved 2007-06-23.
- ^ stated mission
- ^ http://www.publishers.org.uk/en/home/about_the_pa/governance/senior_management/
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ http://www.publishers.org.uk/en/academic/
- ^ http://www.publishers.org.uk/en/educational/
- ^ http://www.publishers.org.uk/en/international/
The Secret Government Kennedy's speech before the American Newspaper Publishers Association.flv
The text of this speech below... This is a portion of the speech that President John F. Kennedy gave at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel on April 27, 1961. "The Pre...
SMG Talks To James Papworth, Marketing Director, Professional Publishers Association
James Papworth, Marketing Director of the Professional Publishers Association (PPA) talks to SMG at Media360 about what's in store for the trade body and the...
Music Publishing - Types of Publishing Companies
An introductory guide to music publishing - the business of creating, protecting and promoting songs and musical compositions. This is one of a series of sho...
jfk secret society speech full speech to American Newspaper Publishers Association.part 1
This is the full speech not just the clip of the speech ....Listening to the whole thing really allows you to get the gist of what secret society he is talki...
Music Publishing explained
An introductory guide to music publishing - the business of creating, protecting and promoting songs and musical compositions. This short film produced by th...
JFK Speech to The American Newspaper Publishers Association - April 27th, 1961
The President and the Press: John Fitzgerald Kennedy's address before the American Newspaper Publishers Association at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, New York City.
National Newspaper Publishers Association @ the 43rd Congressional Black Caucus
The National Newspaper Publishers Association (NNPA.org) & Nielsen Press Conference event at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center in Washington, DC. Th...
Southern Newspaper Publishers Association (Audience Development Manager)
Circulation - Southern Newspaper Publishers Association (Audience Development Manager) http://www.TerryCArmstrong.com Person selected must be an aggressive a...
April 27, 1961 - President Kennedy's Address before the American Newspaper Publishers Association
John F. Kennedy: "Address "The President and the Press" Before the American Newspaper Publishers Association, New York City.," April 27, 1961. The President ...
John F. Kennedy addresses the American Newspaper Publishers Association - 1961
John F. Kennedy addresses the American Newspaper Publishers Association - April 27th 1961 about the true duty of the press.
Tue, 25 Feb 2014 09:51:11 -0800
However, teachers are encouraged to make this study of friendship part of the classroom experience, which could include connecting through the publishers association with teachers and classrooms using the story in Wyoming, the home of Yellowstone.
Monterey County Herald
Wed, 05 Mar 2014 21:03:45 -0800
He left the Publishers Association to direct the U.S. Human Rights Program for Amnesty International. Prior to accepting the post as president and CEO of the NAACP in 2008, he was president of The Rosenberg Foundation, a grant-making organization that ...
Mon, 03 Mar 2014 00:03:45 -0800
The Publishers Association (PA) and the Society of Chief Librarians (SCL) have today announced the launch of a yearlong pilot for e-lending in public libraries. The aim of the pilot is to carry out real-time, real-world research into the impact of ...
Thu, 06 Mar 2014 04:11:15 -0800
... author and media commentator Nick Harkaway and Kobo's Chief Content Officer Michael Tamblyn, who will join Dominique Raccah of SourceBooks, Curtis Brown's Jonny Geller and the Publishers Association's Richard Mollet in an interactive Q&A session.
Thu, 06 Mar 2014 23:52:30 -0800
NonongHaresco, AseanTimes publisher Louie T. Arriola, president of the Publishers Association of the Philippines, Inc. (PAPI), Aklan State University (ASU) president Dr. DaniloAbayon, and DTI-BOI director Ron Astillas composed the battery of speakers.
Wed, 05 Mar 2014 03:48:45 -0800
The London Book Fair has confirmed an additional keynote and a further round of leading representatives from the creative industries as speakers for the Publishing Digital Minds Conference, presented in association with The Publishers' Association and ...
Thu, 27 Feb 2014 23:30:00 -0800
The conference, which is programmed by the IPA, and is in association with The Publishers Association, will provide an open-minded look at educational outcomes with top-level policy makers from government, international agencies and major organisations.
Wed, 26 Feb 2014 05:30:00 -0800
The conference, which takes place on April 7, in association with The Publishers Association and sponsored by Copyright Clearance Center, will welcome a global audience of delegates for a day of keynote speeches, networking panel discussions and ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about The Publishers Association with people all over the world in our discussions.