The Publishers Association (PA) is the trade organisation serving book, journal and electronic publishers in the United Kingdom, established in 1896. Its mission is to strengthen the trading environment for UK publishers by providing a strong voice for the industry in government, in society and with other stakeholders in the UK, Europe and internationally. It seeks to provide a forum for the exchange of non‑competitive information between publishers and offer support and guidance to the industry through technological and other changes.
The PA’s board, known as the PA Council, consists of 15 representatives elected from the membership, together with the chairs of the Trade Publishers Council, the Academic and Professional Board, the Educational Publishers Council, and the International Board; and the chief executive. It meets approximately six times a year. A member of Council may serve up to two three-year terms.
The Publishers Association's officers for 2013-2014 are:
The senior management team includes
- Richard Mollet, the Chief Executive Officer
- Mark Wharton, the director of operations
- Emma House, director of publisher relations.
Membership of the Publishers Association is open to bona fide publishers that carry on the business of publishing in the UK and satisfy the membership criteria. There are two categories of membership:
- Membership for UK publishers with a turnover greater than £2.5 million
- SME membership for UK publishers with a turnover of less than £2.5 million
- The Trade Publishers Council determines PA policy on consumer market matters, and acts on specific issues with the aim of expanding the market and increasing efficiency. Other trade groups include the Children’s Book Group and Religious Book Group.
- The Academic and Professional division provides a forum for higher education, scholarly and reference publishers, representing publishers, conducting market research and running a number of events.
- The Educational Publishers Council provides a voice for school, college and vocational publishers. It campaigns for better funding for learning resources and represents the industry in the development of the market, as well as running seminars and compiling market statistics.
- The International division supports the international sales activities of PA members. It acts against piracy and on copyright and trade barrier issues, and organises trade missions and UK representation at international trade fairs.
- TurnKey Exhibition Services provides a complete exhibition service for publishers, from booking space to organising shipping.
- ^ "The Organisation of the Work and Activities of Publishing Associations". Center for Publishing Development. Open Society Institute. Retrieved 2007-06-23.
- ^ Kingsford, R. J. L. (1970). The Publishers Association 1896-1946, with an epilogue. Cambridge University Press.
- ^ Stated mission.
- ^ http://www.publishers.org.uk/en/home/about_the_pa/governance/senior_management/
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ http://www.publishers.org.uk/en/academic/
- ^ http://www.publishers.org.uk/en/educational/
- ^ http://www.publishers.org.uk/en/international/
JFK Speech to The American Newspaper Publishers Association - April 27th, 1961
The President and the Press: John Fitzgerald Kennedy's address before the American Newspaper Publishers Association at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, New York City.
The Secret Government Kennedy's speech before the American Newspaper Publishers Association.flv
The text of this speech below... This is a portion of the speech that President John F. Kennedy gave at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel on April 27, 1961. "The Pre...
April 27, 1961 - President Kennedy's Address before the American Newspaper Publishers Association
John F. Kennedy: "Address "The President and the Press" Before the American Newspaper Publishers Association, New York City.," April 27, 1961. The President ...
Richard Mollet, Chief Executive, The Publishers Association
Working in Publishing: a World of Content Creation and Delivery. The Publishers Association has filmed a series of videos about innovative and exciting jobs ...
Music Publishing - Types of Publishing Companies
An introductory guide to music publishing - the business of creating, protecting and promoting songs and musical compositions. This is one of a series of sho...
John F. Kennedy Address before the American Newspaper Publishers Association, April 27, '61
The President spoke at the annual dinner of the Association's Bureau of Advertising held at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City. "The President and th...
JFK - The American Newspaper Publishers Association
The very word 'secrecy' is repugnant in a free and open society.
Music Publishing explained
An introductory guide to music publishing - the business of creating, protecting and promoting songs and musical compositions. This short film produced by th...
Working in Publishing: a World of Content Creation and Delivery
Working in Publishing: a World of Content Creation and Delivery The Publishers Association has filmed a series of videos about innovative and exciting jobs i...
JON BON JOVI - NATIONAL MUSIC PUBLISHERS' ASSOCIATION AWARDS 204 & Christina Grimmie Performs
JON BON JOVI - NATIONAL MUSIC PUBLISHERS' ASSOCIATION AWARDS 2014 & Christina Grimmie Performs.
Research Information (press release)
Wed, 18 Feb 2015 01:29:46 -0800
Developed in collaboration with London Book Fair (LBF), ALPSP and the Publishers Association, Access all Areas: Global Trends in Research and Scholarly Publishing will provide scholarly publishers with the opportunity to hear about the international ...
Manila Standard Today
Thu, 12 Feb 2015 08:07:30 -0800
CEBU CITY—The Publishers Association of the Philippines Inc. (PAPI) Cebu Chapter, headed by Engr. Greg Senining, will host the 19th National Press Congress, mandated by Presidential Proclamation 1187, on February 19 to 21, 2015 at the Sacred Heart ...
Sat, 28 Feb 2015 08:00:22 -0800
... the February 11-16 event ballooned to 85-odd visitors: 16 publishers; 22 authors, poets and illustrators; six performers and two carvers from Maori cultural association Nga Kete Tuku Iho; and a fiendishly efficient team from the Publishers ...
The Sofia Globe
The Sofia Globe
Fri, 27 Feb 2015 07:45:00 -0800
On the media front, the publishers' association in which media seen as close to Peevski issued a public challenge why America for Bulgaria gave money to some media but not others. This background to this included the foundation having given, in 2012 ...
Wed, 04 Feb 2015 09:03:45 -0800
Richard Mollet, chief executive of the Publishers Association, said Britain was showing no signs of slowing down, despite the rise in production in Australia whose titles rose by a third last year to 1,176 per million inhabitants. "There are a few ...
Finger Lakes Times
Fri, 13 Feb 2015 14:05:58 -0800
As the Publishers Association also points out, newspaper publication provides an historic record. While websites, even government ones, are fleeting and most likely will not be maintained over the decades, newspapers are preserved in libraries and in ...
Jerusalem Post Israel News
Jerusalem Post Israel News
Thu, 05 Feb 2015 08:02:10 -0800
There will also be a number of workshops, symposiums and lectures for professional writers, including a symposium on the challenges faced by publishers in the digital era, as well as a special workshop from the Publishers Association on copyright issues.
Thu, 26 Feb 2015 10:00:00 -0800
The company participated in the event with the support of The Publishers Association, the UK's main trade association for UK publishers and an accredited UKTI trade partner with vast experience of organising UK group participation at major ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.