The Publishers Association (PA) is the trade organisation serving book, journal and electronic publishers in the United Kingdom, established in 1895. Its is to strengthen the trading environment for UK publishers by providing a strong voice for the industry in government, in society and with other stakeholders in the UK, Europe and internationally. It seeks to provide a forum for the exchange of non‑competitive information between publishers and offer support and guidance to the industry through technological and other changes.
The PA’s board, known as the PA Council, consists of 15 representatives elected from the membership, together with the chairs of the Trade Publishers Council, the Academic and Professional Board, the Educational Publishers Council, and the International Board; and the chief executive. It meets approximately six times a year. A member of Council may serve up to two three-year terms.
The Publishers Association's officers for 2013-2014 are:
The senior management team includes
- Richard Mollet, the Chief Executive Officer
- Mark Wharton, the director of operations
- Emma House, director of publisher relations.
Membership of the Publishers Association is open to bona fide publishers that carry on the business of publishing in the UK and satisfy the membership criteria. There are two categories of membership:
- Membership for UK publishers with a turnover greater than £2.5 million
- SME membership for UK publishers with a turnover of less than £2.5 million
- The Trade Publishers Council determines PA policy on consumer market matters, and acts on specific issues with the aim of expanding the market and increasing efficiency. Other trade groups include the Children’s Book Group and Religious Book Group.
- The Academic and Professional division provides a forum for higher education, scholarly and reference publishers, representing publishers, conducting market research and running a number of events.
- The Educational Publishers Council provides a voice for school, college and vocational publishers. It campaigns for better funding for learning resources and represents the industry in the development of the market, as well as running seminars and compiling market statistics.
- The International division supports the international sales activities of PA members. It acts against piracy and on copyright and trade barrier issues, and organises trade missions and UK representation at international trade fairs.
- TurnKey Exhibition Services provides a complete exhibition service for publishers, from booking space to organising shipping.
- ^ "The Organisation of the Work and Activities of Publishing Associations". Center for Publishing Development, Open Society Institute. Retrieved 2007-06-23.
- ^ stated mission
- ^ http://www.publishers.org.uk/en/home/about_the_pa/governance/senior_management/
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ http://www.publishers.org.uk/en/academic/
- ^ http://www.publishers.org.uk/en/educational/
- ^ http://www.publishers.org.uk/en/international/
The Secret Government Kennedy's speech before the American Newspaper Publishers Association.flv
The text of this speech below... This is a portion of the speech that President John F. Kennedy gave at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel on April 27, 1961. "The Pre...
SMG Talks To James Papworth, Marketing Director, Professional Publishers Association
James Papworth, Marketing Director of the Professional Publishers Association (PPA) talks to SMG at Media360 about what's in store for the trade body and the...
National Newspaper Publishers Association @ the 43rd Congressional Black Caucus
The National Newspaper Publishers Association (NNPA.org) & Nielsen Press Conference event at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center in Washington, DC. Th...
Emma House,Director of Publisher Relations, The Publishers Association, UK
speaks about how GLOBALOCAL is a great way of bringing together people to share their experiences and learn from each other in the Industry.
Music Publishing explained
An introductory guide to music publishing - the business of creating, protecting and promoting songs and musical compositions. This short film produced by th...
Music Publishing - Types of Publishing Companies
An introductory guide to music publishing - the business of creating, protecting and promoting songs and musical compositions. This is one of a series of sho...
jfk secret society speech full speech to American Newspaper Publishers Association.part 1
This is the full speech not just the clip of the speech ....Listening to the whole thing really allows you to get the gist of what secret society he is talki...
April 27, 1961 - President Kennedy's Address before the American Newspaper Publishers Association
John F. Kennedy: "Address "The President and the Press" Before the American Newspaper Publishers Association, New York City.," April 27, 1961. The President ...
JFK Speech to The American Newspaper Publishers Association - April 27th, 1961
The President and the Press: John Fitzgerald Kennedy's address before the American Newspaper Publishers Association at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, New York City.
Roilo Golez, one of Ten Outstanding Congressman by Publishers Association 20 July 2012
Cong. Roilo Golez was given the award One of the Ten Outstanding Congressmen of the Philippines by the Publishers Association of the Philippines or PAPI.
Wed, 09 Apr 2014 18:03:40 -0700
The Publishers Association gave News Albany Bureau Chief Tom Precious its award for state government coverage. The judges honored him for a range of stories covering Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo, the State Legislature and state politics. One article focused ...
Tue, 15 Apr 2014 06:18:45 -0700
The conference, programmed by the IPA, and run in association with The Publishers Association, will provide an open-minded look at educational outcomes with top-level policy makers from government, international agencies and major organisations.
Wed, 09 Apr 2014 07:26:15 -0700
Publishers from Belorussia, Pakistan, India, Denmark, Australia, Malaysia, the U.S. and China were among the winners of the first London Book Fair International Book Industry Excellence Awards, given in association with the Publishers Association and ...
The Guardian (blog)
The Guardian (blog)
Thu, 17 Apr 2014 08:00:00 -0700
... the Federation Against Copyright Theft (FACT), the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI), The Publishers Association, the Internet Advertising Bureau UK (IAB UK), the Incorporated Society of British Advertisers (ISBA), and ...
PR Newswire (press release)
Wed, 09 Apr 2014 01:26:15 -0700
LBF and The Publishers Association have selected an authority of UK judges, working at the heart of each category, whose international or discipline-specific expertise qualifies them to judge their peers' work. The London Book Fair (LBF) is the global ...
Shanghai Daily (subscription)
Thu, 10 Apr 2014 14:56:15 -0700
On the final day of the publishing gala, the London Book Fair and its partners, the British Council and the Publishers Association, announced that the Market Focus country for the next year will be Mexico, following this year's Republic of Korea. From ...
Cape Business News
Wed, 16 Apr 2014 05:11:15 -0700
Having headed the campaign to amend the levying of VAT on electronic transactions the Publishers' Association of South Africa (PASA) in collaboration with the South African Booksellers' Association, Eugene Ashton, Sales Director of Jonathan Ball ...
Thu, 27 Mar 2014 07:48:45 -0700
Jacks Thomas: What Works? is on Thursday 10 April in the Conference Centre, and again programmed by the IPA and, this year, in association with The Publishers Association. It will provide an open-minded look at educational outcomes with top-level ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about The Publishers Association with people all over the world in our discussions.