The Publishers Association (PA) is the trade organisation serving book, journal and electronic publishers in the United Kingdom, established in 1896. Its mission is to strengthen the trading environment for UK publishers by providing a strong voice for the industry in government, in society and with other stakeholders in the UK, Europe and internationally. It seeks to provide a forum for the exchange of non‑competitive information between publishers and offer support and guidance to the industry through technological and other changes.
The PA’s board, known as the PA Council, consists of 15 representatives elected from the membership, together with the chairs of the Trade Publishers Council, the Academic and Professional Board, the Educational Publishers Council, and the International Board; and the chief executive. It meets approximately six times a year. A member of Council may serve up to two three-year terms.
The Publishers Association's officers for 2013-2014 are:
The senior management team includes
- Richard Mollet, the Chief Executive Officer
- Mark Wharton, the director of operations
- Emma House, director of publisher relations.
Membership of the Publishers Association is open to bona fide publishers that carry on the business of publishing in the UK and satisfy the membership criteria. There are two categories of membership:
- Membership for UK publishers with a turnover greater than £2.5 million
- SME membership for UK publishers with a turnover of less than £2.5 million
- The Trade Publishers Council determines PA policy on consumer market matters, and acts on specific issues with the aim of expanding the market and increasing efficiency. Other trade groups include the Children’s Book Group and Religious Book Group.
- The Academic and Professional division provides a forum for higher education, scholarly and reference publishers, representing publishers, conducting market research and running a number of events.
- The Educational Publishers Council provides a voice for school, college and vocational publishers. It campaigns for better funding for learning resources and represents the industry in the development of the market, as well as running seminars and compiling market statistics.
- The International division supports the international sales activities of PA members. It acts against piracy and on copyright and trade barrier issues, and organises trade missions and UK representation at international trade fairs.
- TurnKey Exhibition Services provides a complete exhibition service for publishers, from booking space to organising shipping.
- ^ "The Organisation of the Work and Activities of Publishing Associations". Center for Publishing Development. Open Society Institute. Retrieved 2007-06-23.
- ^ Kingsford, R. J. L. (1970). The Publishers Association 1896-1946, with an epilogue. Cambridge University Press.
- ^ Stated mission.
- ^ http://www.publishers.org.uk/en/home/about_the_pa/governance/senior_management/
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ http://www.publishers.org.uk/en/academic/
- ^ http://www.publishers.org.uk/en/educational/
- ^ http://www.publishers.org.uk/en/international/
JFK Speech to The American Newspaper Publishers Association - April 27th, 1961
The President and the Press: John Fitzgerald Kennedy's address before the American Newspaper Publishers Association at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, New York City.
jfk secret society speech full speech to American Newspaper Publishers Association.part 1
This is the full speech not just the clip of the speech ....Listening to the whole thing really allows you to get the gist of what secret society he is talki...
John F. Kennedy Address before the American Newspaper Publishers Association, April 27, '61
The President spoke at the annual dinner of the Association's Bureau of Advertising held at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City. "The President and th...
The Secret Government Kennedy's speech before the American Newspaper Publishers Association.flv
The text of this speech below... This is a portion of the speech that President John F. Kennedy gave at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel on April 27, 1961. "The Pre...
April 27, 1961 - President Kennedy's Address before the American Newspaper Publishers Association
John F. Kennedy: "Address "The President and the Press" Before the American Newspaper Publishers Association, New York City.," April 27, 1961. The President ...
Richard Mollet, Chief Executive, The Publishers Association
Working in Publishing: a World of Content Creation and Delivery. The Publishers Association has filmed a series of videos about innovative and exciting jobs ...
SMG Talks To James Papworth, Marketing Director, Professional Publishers Association
James Papworth, Marketing Director of the Professional Publishers Association (PPA) talks to SMG at Media360 about what's in store for the trade body and the...
JON BON JOVI - NATIONAL MUSIC PUBLISHERS' ASSOCIATION AWARDS 204 & Christina Grimmie Performs
JON BON JOVI - NATIONAL MUSIC PUBLISHERS' ASSOCIATION AWARDS 2014 & Christina Grimmie Performs.
JFK - The American Newspaper Publishers Association
The very word 'secrecy' is repugnant in a free and open society.
Music Publishing - Types of Publishing Companies
An introductory guide to music publishing - the business of creating, protecting and promoting songs and musical compositions. This is one of a series of sho...
Publishers Lunch Deluxe (subscription)
Fri, 19 Sep 2014 06:26:22 -0700
UK trade group the Publishers Association issued "an eight point plan for growth" in book and journal publishing with recommendations for the government. The one drawing the most attention is a very polite, British request to consider whether having ...
Sun, 19 Oct 2014 23:33:45 -0700
Richard Mollet, chief executive of the Publishers Association (PA), said: "There are a number of factors behind this world-leading performance. As well as the advantage of the English language, British creativity, innovation and historic strength in ...
Thu, 18 Sep 2014 10:15:00 -0700
“We can see what's going on with disputes in the US and Germany,” said Richard Mollet, chief executive of the Publishers Association, which represents nearly all of the UK's consumer book publishers. He said an inquiry by the Competition and Markets ...
Sat, 20 Sep 2014 22:10:29 -0700
TorrentFreak asked City of London Police for specifics on the site's closure, including whether the domain seizure and shutdown had been carried out together with The Publishers Association, a known PIPCU partner. “As part of Operation Creative PIPCU ...
Tue, 07 Oct 2014 11:45:05 -0700
“I don't think we're seeing the start of a seismic shift in how the publishing ecosystem works,” says Richard Mollet, chief executive of the Publishers Association. “The basic model of how publishers work, through wholesalers and retailers, isn't going ...
Mon, 06 Oct 2014 00:05:13 -0700
Millions of ebook readers such as Kindles are sold every year worldwide, and the devices have become an essential gadget for many. Figures released last year by the Publishers Association showed that sales of ebooks rose to £216m last year, an increase ...
Tue, 23 Sep 2014 08:33:15 -0700
Mitchell's criticisms echo a call from the Publishers Association for the Government to “initiate an inquiry into the digital book retail market to ensure it is working to the benefit of booksellers, publishers, authors and consumers”. The comic ...
Mon, 13 Oct 2014 03:45:14 -0700
To celebrate the campaign, which has been devised by advertising agency M&C Saatchi and supported by The Booksellers Association and The Publishers Association, Foyles unveiled a three metre-high Books Are My Bag bag on Thursday (9 October).
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter