The Publishers Association (PA) is the trade organisation serving book, journal and electronic publishers in the United Kingdom, established in 1896. Its mission is to strengthen the trading environment for UK publishers by providing a strong voice for the industry in government, in society and with other stakeholders in the UK, Europe and internationally. It seeks to provide a forum for the exchange of non‑competitive information between publishers and offer support and guidance to the industry through technological and other changes.
The PA’s board, known as the PA Council, consists of 15 representatives elected from the membership, together with the chairs of the Trade Publishers Council, the Academic and Professional Board, the Educational Publishers Council, and the International Board; and the chief executive. It meets approximately six times a year. A member of Council may serve up to two three-year terms.
The Publishers Association's officers for 2013-2014 are:
The senior management team includes
- Richard Mollet, the Chief Executive Officer
- Mark Wharton, the director of operations
- Emma House, director of publisher relations.
Membership of the Publishers Association is open to bona fide publishers that carry on the business of publishing in the UK and satisfy the membership criteria. There are two categories of membership:
- Membership for UK publishers with a turnover greater than £2.5 million
- SME membership for UK publishers with a turnover of less than £2.5 million
- The Trade Publishers Council determines PA policy on consumer market matters, and acts on specific issues with the aim of expanding the market and increasing efficiency. Other trade groups include the Children’s Book Group and Religious Book Group.
- The Academic and Professional division provides a forum for higher education, scholarly and reference publishers, representing publishers, conducting market research and running a number of events.
- The Educational Publishers Council provides a voice for school, college and vocational publishers. It campaigns for better funding for learning resources and represents the industry in the development of the market, as well as running seminars and compiling market statistics.
- The International division supports the international sales activities of PA members. It acts against piracy and on copyright and trade barrier issues, and organises trade missions and UK representation at international trade fairs.
- TurnKey Exhibition Services provides a complete exhibition service for publishers, from booking space to organising shipping.
- ^ "The Organisation of the Work and Activities of Publishing Associations". Center for Publishing Development. Open Society Institute. Retrieved 2007-06-23.
- ^ Kingsford, R. J. L. (1970). The Publishers Association 1896-1946, with an epilogue. Cambridge University Press.
- ^ Stated mission.
- ^ http://www.publishers.org.uk/en/home/about_the_pa/governance/senior_management/
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ http://www.publishers.org.uk/en/academic/
- ^ http://www.publishers.org.uk/en/educational/
- ^ http://www.publishers.org.uk/en/international/
Richard Mollet, Chief Executive, The Publishers Association
Working in Publishing: a World of Content Creation and Delivery. The Publishing Association has filmed a series of videos about innovative and exciting jobs ...
The Secret Government Kennedy's speech before the American Newspaper Publishers Association.flv
The text of this speech below... This is a portion of the speech that President John F. Kennedy gave at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel on April 27, 1961. "The Pre...
JFK Speech to The American Newspaper Publishers Association - April 27th, 1961
The President and the Press: John Fitzgerald Kennedy's address before the American Newspaper Publishers Association at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, New York City.
SMG Talks To James Papworth, Marketing Director, Professional Publishers Association
James Papworth, Marketing Director of the Professional Publishers Association (PPA) talks to SMG at Media360 about what's in store for the trade body and the...
April 27, 1961 - President Kennedy's Address before the American Newspaper Publishers Association
John F. Kennedy: "Address "The President and the Press" Before the American Newspaper Publishers Association, New York City.," April 27, 1961. The President ...
Publishers Association - Books Inspire Everything!
Great video on the impact of books from Lightweight Media.
Emma House,Director of Publisher Relations, The Publishers Association, UK
speaks about how GLOBALOCAL is a great way of bringing together people to share their experiences and learn from each other in the Industry.
Song Summit Speaker - David Israelite, CEO National Music Publishers Association
From 19 - 21 June Song Summit gathered together the full spectrum of the music industry including local and international songwriters and music industry expe...
Music Publishing explained
An introductory guide to music publishing - the business of creating, protecting and promoting songs and musical compositions. This short film produced by th...
jfk secret society speech full speech to American Newspaper Publishers Association.part 1
This is the full speech not just the clip of the speech ....Listening to the whole thing really allows you to get the gist of what secret society he is talki...
New Zealand Herald
Fri, 01 Aug 2014 09:52:30 -0700
Kevin Chapman, of Upstart Press and past-president of the Publishers Association, said the take-up of the e-book was uncertain globally. E-book sales for popular fiction was strong but other genres showed buyers returning to print. "It's not linear ...
Mon, 21 Jul 2014 02:19:55 -0700
Consumer e-book sales rose 10% in the first quarter of 2014, according to the Publishers Association, with strong performances from children's e-books, and digital downloads of audio titles. The figure show the continuing slowdown in digital growth ...
Thu, 31 Jul 2014 03:52:30 -0700
The network, which is coordinated by the Italian Publishers Association, includes 25 groups from 12 European countries, including The Publishers Association and The London Book Fair. The recommendation document has been drawn up by the Federation ...
Thu, 31 Jul 2014 14:56:15 -0700
PIPCU then conducts a verification process to determine whether the site should be on the list or not. It says it's working actively with the BPI, FACT, IFPI and the Publishers' Association to keep the IWL up-to-date. The IWL has not being made public ...
Tue, 29 Jul 2014 05:59:40 -0700
It says it's working actively with the BPI, FACT, IFPI and the Publishers' Association to keep the IWL up-to-date. “The rightsholders have to put together a very detailed evidential package,” said a PIPCU spokeswoman. “Which is then looked at by the ...
PR Newswire UK (press release)
Wed, 30 Jul 2014 08:45:00 -0700
Online shopping service Flubit.com are looking to disrupt Amazon's dominance of the book market by dedicating the month of August to creating better offers on their catalogue of over 10 million books. According to The Publishers Association just 16% of ...
Tue, 29 Jul 2014 02:09:42 -0700
The Publishers Association's Reading for Pleasure campaign brings charities and other organisations promoting reading and literacy together with authors and those who work in publishing. Last week's roadshow hosted by Pan Macmillan offered anyone ...
The American Conservative
Tue, 15 Jul 2014 13:42:47 -0700
“When your computer dies, you throw it away,” says Mr. Montagne of the publishers' association. “But you'll remember a book 20 years later. You've deeply entered into a story that's not your own. It's forged who you are. You'll only see later how much ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about The Publishers Association with people all over the world in our discussions.