The Publishers Association (PA) is the trade organisation serving book, journal and electronic publishers in the United Kingdom, established in 1896. Its mission is to strengthen the trading environment for UK publishers by providing a strong voice for the industry in government, in society and with other stakeholders in the UK, Europe and internationally. It seeks to provide a forum for the exchange of non‑competitive information between publishers and offer support and guidance to the industry through technological and other changes.
The PA’s board, known as the PA Council, consists of 15 representatives elected from the membership, together with the chairs of the Trade Publishers Council, the Academic and Professional Board, the Educational Publishers Council, and the International Board; and the chief executive. It meets approximately six times a year. A member of Council may serve up to two three-year terms.
The Publishers Association's officers for 2013–2014 are:
The senior management team includes
- Richard Mollet, the Chief Executive Officer
- Mark Wharton, the director of operations
- Emma House, director of publisher relations
- Susie Winter, director of policy & communications.
Membership of the Publishers Association is open to bona fide publishers that carry on the business of publishing in the UK and satisfy the membership criteria. There are two categories of membership:
- Membership for UK publishers with a turnover greater than £2.5 million
- SME membership for UK publishers with a turnover of less than £2.5 million
- The Trade Publishers Council determines PA policy on consumer market matters, and acts on specific issues with the aim of expanding the market and increasing efficiency. Other trade groups include the Children’s Book Group and Religious Book Group.
- The Academic and Professional division provides a forum for higher education, scholarly and reference publishers, representing publishers, conducting market research and running a number of events.
- The Educational Publishers Council provides a voice for school, college and vocational publishers. It campaigns for better funding for learning resources and represents the industry in the development of the market, as well as running seminars and compiling market statistics.
- The International division supports the international sales activities of PA members. It acts against piracy and on copyright and trade barrier issues, and organises trade missions and UK representation at international trade fairs.
- TurnKey Exhibition Services provides a complete exhibition service for publishers, from booking space to organising shipping.
- ^ "The Organisation of the Work and Activities of Publishing Associations". Center for Publishing Development. Open Society Institute. Retrieved 2007-06-23.
- ^ Kingsford, R. J. L. (1970). The Publishers Association 1896–1946, with an epilogue. Cambridge University Press.
- ^ Stated mission. publishers.org.uk
- ^ Senior management. publishers.org.uk
- ^ Publishers Association – Membership Criteria. publishers.org.uk
- ^ Membership for UK publishers. publishers.org.uk
- ^ 
- ^ Academic and professional homepage. publishers.org.uk
- ^ Educational Publishers Council homepage. publishers.org.uk
- ^ International Homepage. publishers.org.uk
Richard Mollet, Chief Executive, The Publishers Association
JFK Speech to The American Newspaper Publishers Association - April 27th, 1961
The President and the Press: John Fitzgerald Kennedy's address before the American Newspaper Publishers Association at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, New York ...
JFK - The American Newspaper Publishers Association
The very word 'secrecy' is repugnant in a free and open society.
Emma House,Director of Publisher Relations, The Publishers Association, UK
Music Publishing explained
An introductory guide to music publishing - the business of creating, protecting and promoting songs and musical compositions. This short film produced by the ...
Publishers Association - Books Inspire Everything!
Working in Publishing: a World of Content Creation and Delivery
Working in Publishing: a World of Content Creation and Delivery The Publishers Association has filmed a series of videos about innovative and exciting jobs in ...
John F. Kennedy Address before the American Newspaper Publishers Association, April 27, '61
The President spoke at the annual dinner of the Association's Bureau of Advertising held at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City. "The President and the ...
New York News Publishers Association Awards Part II
President John F Kennedy Secret Society Speech version 2
"Listen to this incredible audio recording of a speech made by JFK before the American Newspaper Publishers Association where he warns the press about the ...
Fri, 25 Sep 2015 05:46:36 -0700
Richard Mollet, chief executive of the Publishers Association (PA), is to step down next year to become head of European Government Affairs at RELX Group (formerly known as Reed Elsevier). Mollet succeeded Simon Juden at the PA in 2010. He has been a ...
Tue, 15 Sep 2015 14:11:15 -0700
The Publishers Association of the Philippines Inc. (Papi) has elected a new set of officers during its 2015 Midyear Convention held at the Asian Institute of Management in Makati City on Aug. 28. The new Papi leadership is headed by Nelson S. Santos, ...
Sun, 13 Sep 2015 19:48:45 -0700
The IPA supports and applauds the book's publisher Penguin Random House and the Publishers Association of New Zealand in their stand against this dangerous and unnecessary attempt to throttle an author's voice,' said IPA President Richard Charkin.
Wed, 07 Oct 2015 11:08:28 -0700
Richard Mollet, the chief executive of the Publishers Association, said the departure of the Kindle from Waterstones stores could become a symbolic move. “Lets see what happens with sales of both [physical and digital], but in the future people may ...
Sat, 03 Oct 2015 03:51:59 -0700
In 2015, the publishers' association this time awarded its prize to none other than Flemming Rose, who was now characterized “as a strong and central actor in the international debate on free speech,” defending a “principled” and “nuanced” stand ...
The Conversation UK
The Conversation UK
Thu, 08 Oct 2015 02:11:15 -0700
The Arts Council's Decibel programme closed down; the Publishers' Association hasn't done much with its diversity charter, Equip. Up until a few days ago, Creative Access was on the verge of folding, and even now only has enough funding to continue ...
Mon, 14 Sep 2015 13:26:15 -0700
The IPA supports and applauds the book's publisher Penguin Random House and the Publishers Association of New Zealand in their stand against this dangerous and unnecessary attempt to throttle an author's voice," said IPA President Richard Charkin.
Fri, 11 Sep 2015 08:33:45 -0700
IPA president Richard Charkin said: “The IPA supports and applauds the book's publisher Penguin Random House and the Publishers Association of New Zealand in their stand against this dangerous and unnecessary attempt to throttle an author's voice.”.
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.