The Publishers Association (PA) is the trade organisation serving book, journal and electronic publishers in the United Kingdom, established in 1896. Its mission is to strengthen the trading environment for UK publishers by providing a strong voice for the industry in government, in society and with other stakeholders in the UK, Europe and internationally. It seeks to provide a forum for the exchange of non‑competitive information between publishers and offer support and guidance to the industry through technological and other changes.
The PA’s board, known as the PA Council, consists of 15 representatives elected from the membership, together with the chairs of the Trade Publishers Council, the Academic and Professional Board, the Educational Publishers Council, and the International Board; and the chief executive. It meets approximately six times a year. A member of Council may serve up to two three-year terms.
The Publishers Association's officers for 2013-2014 are:
The senior management team includes
- Richard Mollet, the Chief Executive Officer
- Mark Wharton, the director of operations
- Emma House, director of publisher relations.
Membership of the Publishers Association is open to bona fide publishers that carry on the business of publishing in the UK and satisfy the membership criteria. There are two categories of membership:
- Membership for UK publishers with a turnover greater than £2.5 million
- SME membership for UK publishers with a turnover of less than £2.5 million
- The Trade Publishers Council determines PA policy on consumer market matters, and acts on specific issues with the aim of expanding the market and increasing efficiency. Other trade groups include the Children’s Book Group and Religious Book Group.
- The Academic and Professional division provides a forum for higher education, scholarly and reference publishers, representing publishers, conducting market research and running a number of events.
- The Educational Publishers Council provides a voice for school, college and vocational publishers. It campaigns for better funding for learning resources and represents the industry in the development of the market, as well as running seminars and compiling market statistics.
- The International division supports the international sales activities of PA members. It acts against piracy and on copyright and trade barrier issues, and organises trade missions and UK representation at international trade fairs.
- TurnKey Exhibition Services provides a complete exhibition service for publishers, from booking space to organising shipping.
- ^ "The Organisation of the Work and Activities of Publishing Associations". Center for Publishing Development. Open Society Institute. Retrieved 2007-06-23.
- ^ Kingsford, R. J. L. (1970). The Publishers Association 1896-1946, with an epilogue. Cambridge University Press.
- ^ Stated mission.
- ^ http://www.publishers.org.uk/en/home/about_the_pa/governance/senior_management/
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ http://www.publishers.org.uk/en/academic/
- ^ http://www.publishers.org.uk/en/educational/
- ^ http://www.publishers.org.uk/en/international/
The Secret Government Kennedy's speech before the American Newspaper Publishers Association.flv
The text of this speech below... This is a portion of the speech that President John F. Kennedy gave at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel on April 27, 1961. "The Pre...
Richard Mollet, Chief Executive, The Publishers Association
Working in Publishing: a World of Content Creation and Delivery. The Publishing Association has filmed a series of videos about innovative and exciting jobs ...
JFK Speech to The American Newspaper Publishers Association - April 27th, 1961
The President and the Press: John Fitzgerald Kennedy's address before the American Newspaper Publishers Association at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, New York City.
SMG Talks To James Papworth, Marketing Director, Professional Publishers Association
James Papworth, Marketing Director of the Professional Publishers Association (PPA) talks to SMG at Media360 about what's in store for the trade body and the...
April 27, 1961 - President Kennedy's Address before the American Newspaper Publishers Association
John F. Kennedy: "Address "The President and the Press" Before the American Newspaper Publishers Association, New York City.," April 27, 1961. The President ...
Emma House,Director of Publisher Relations, The Publishers Association, UK
speaks about how GLOBALOCAL is a great way of bringing together people to share their experiences and learn from each other in the Industry.
Publishers Association - Books Inspire Everything!
Great video on the impact of books from Lightweight Media.
jfk secret society speech full speech to American Newspaper Publishers Association.part 1
This is the full speech not just the clip of the speech ....Listening to the whole thing really allows you to get the gist of what secret society he is talki...
Song Summit Speaker - David Israelite, CEO National Music Publishers Association
From 19 - 21 June Song Summit gathered together the full spectrum of the music industry including local and international songwriters and music industry expe...
John F. Kennedy addresses the American Newspaper Publishers Association - 1961
John F. Kennedy addresses the American Newspaper Publishers Association - April 27th 1961 about the true duty of the press.
Sun, 31 Aug 2014 12:18:45 -0700
The Publishers Association of Liberia (PAL) has decried the prolonged seizure of the offices and the ban of the Chronicle Newspaper and calls on Government to restore newspaper's right to operate. In a press release, the Publishers group said it is in ...
New York Times
New York Times
Sun, 17 Aug 2014 17:34:29 -0700
Alexander Skipis, president of the publishers' association, said he hoped the letter would increase awareness of what was at stake. “It shows the public and politicians around the world that this is about more than a dispute over price conditions,” Mr ...
Wed, 27 Aug 2014 22:49:08 -0700
This month, in the face of the growing jokes about news media corruption, the publishers' association, Newspapers Canada, is discussing a national press council for their more than 800 members to replace the collapsing provincial ones. That serves them ...
Fri, 08 Aug 2014 09:03:57 -0700
Bird said the 9% drop in UK adults having a physical book collection was "more than made up for by the increase in digital book sales, which now represent 16% of total book sales", according to the Publishers Association. "Clearly, people are beginning ...
Mon, 11 Aug 2014 07:29:13 -0700
... tourism point of view, but I think the local Edinburgh people also benefit from receiving these international guests from all over the world, and learn about their cultures as well,” said Emma House, director of Publisher Relations, the Publishers ...
RealWire (press release)
Wed, 06 Aug 2014 07:37:30 -0700
The Publishers Association is the leading trade organisation serving book, journal, audio and electronic publishers in the UK. Membership comprises 113 companies from across the trade, academic and education sectors. Its core service is representation ...
Fri, 08 Aug 2014 02:11:15 -0700
Head of the Presidential Secretariat Dr. Roger Luncheon on Wednesday announced that a contract, divided into three lots received Cabinet's no-objection when the body met last Tuesday. In September of 2012, the Publishers Association took to the High ...
New Zealand Herald
Sat, 09 Aug 2014 10:04:39 -0700
Sam Elworthy, director of the Auckland University Press and president of the Publishers' Association, has heard about publishers tapping into Google but says it's not a widespread tactic yet. He says most publishers still rely on gut instincts ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about The Publishers Association with people all over the world in our discussions.