The Publishers Association (PA) is the trade organisation serving book, journal and electronic publishers in the United Kingdom, established in 1896. Its mission is to strengthen the trading environment for UK publishers by providing a strong voice for the industry in government, in society and with other stakeholders in the UK, Europe and internationally. It seeks to provide a forum for the exchange of non‑competitive information between publishers and offer support and guidance to the industry through technological and other changes.
The PA’s board, known as the PA Council, consists of 15 representatives elected from the membership, together with the chairs of the Trade Publishers Council, the Academic and Professional Board, the Educational Publishers Council, and the International Board; and the chief executive. It meets approximately six times a year. A member of Council may serve up to two three-year terms.
The Publishers Association's officers for 2013-2014 are:
The senior management team includes
- Richard Mollet, the Chief Executive Officer
- Mark Wharton, the director of operations
- Emma House, director of publisher relations.
Membership of the Publishers Association is open to bona fide publishers that carry on the business of publishing in the UK and satisfy the membership criteria. There are two categories of membership:
- Membership for UK publishers with a turnover greater than £2.5 million
- SME membership for UK publishers with a turnover of less than £2.5 million
- The Trade Publishers Council determines PA policy on consumer market matters, and acts on specific issues with the aim of expanding the market and increasing efficiency. Other trade groups include the Children’s Book Group and Religious Book Group.
- The Academic and Professional division provides a forum for higher education, scholarly and reference publishers, representing publishers, conducting market research and running a number of events.
- The Educational Publishers Council provides a voice for school, college and vocational publishers. It campaigns for better funding for learning resources and represents the industry in the development of the market, as well as running seminars and compiling market statistics.
- The International division supports the international sales activities of PA members. It acts against piracy and on copyright and trade barrier issues, and organises trade missions and UK representation at international trade fairs.
- TurnKey Exhibition Services provides a complete exhibition service for publishers, from booking space to organising shipping.
- ^ "The Organisation of the Work and Activities of Publishing Associations". Center for Publishing Development. Open Society Institute. Retrieved 2007-06-23.
- ^ Kingsford, R. J. L. (1970). The Publishers Association 1896-1946, with an epilogue. Cambridge University Press.
- ^ Stated mission.
- ^ http://www.publishers.org.uk/en/home/about_the_pa/governance/senior_management/
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ http://www.publishers.org.uk/en/academic/
- ^ http://www.publishers.org.uk/en/educational/
- ^ http://www.publishers.org.uk/en/international/
JFK Speech to The American Newspaper Publishers Association - April 27th, 1961
The President and the Press: John Fitzgerald Kennedy's address before the American Newspaper Publishers Association at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, New York City.
The Secret Government Kennedy's speech before the American Newspaper Publishers Association.flv
The text of this speech below... This is a portion of the speech that President John F. Kennedy gave at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel on April 27, 1961. "The Pre...
April 27, 1961 - President Kennedy's Address before the American Newspaper Publishers Association
John F. Kennedy: "Address "The President and the Press" Before the American Newspaper Publishers Association, New York City.," April 27, 1961. The President ...
Music Publishing - Types of Publishing Companies
An introductory guide to music publishing - the business of creating, protecting and promoting songs and musical compositions. This is one of a series of sho...
Richard Mollet, Chief Executive, The Publishers Association
Working in Publishing: a World of Content Creation and Delivery. The Publishers Association has filmed a series of videos about innovative and exciting jobs ...
Music Publishing explained
An introductory guide to music publishing - the business of creating, protecting and promoting songs and musical compositions. This short film produced by th...
John F. Kennedy Address before the American Newspaper Publishers Association, April 27, '61
The President spoke at the annual dinner of the Association's Bureau of Advertising held at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City. "The President and th...
JFK - The American Newspaper Publishers Association
The very word 'secrecy' is repugnant in a free and open society.
JON BON JOVI - NATIONAL MUSIC PUBLISHERS' ASSOCIATION AWARDS 204 & Christina Grimmie Performs
JON BON JOVI - NATIONAL MUSIC PUBLISHERS' ASSOCIATION AWARDS 2014 & Christina Grimmie Performs.
Working in Publishing: a World of Content Creation and Delivery
Working in Publishing: a World of Content Creation and Delivery The Publishers Association has filmed a series of videos about innovative and exciting jobs i...
Wed, 07 Jan 2015 04:49:54 -0800
An October open letter from organisations including English PEN, German PEN, the International Publishers Association, PEN International and the Publishers Association UK to Belarusian ministers called this “overly broad language, that we fear will be ...
Thu, 01 Jan 2015 17:17:49 -0800
"There inevitably will be a price change," said Richard Mollet, chief executive of the Publishers Association, a British trade body. "The question is whether retailers, publishers or customers will have to take on board any increase." The changes to ...
Fri, 09 Jan 2015 07:49:45 -0800
That led to renewed discussions between the publishers through the Publishers Association of Liberia (PAL) which as was followed by a scrupulous vetting process that resulted in the settlement of its indebtedness to the media. It was following that ...
Iran Book News Agency
Iran Book News Agency
Sat, 31 Jan 2015 01:11:15 -0800
... Deputy Minister of Culture and Islamic Guidance, Ali Akbar Ash'ari, Book Garden Project Manager, Director General of the Book House as well as Mahmoud Amouzgar, Head of the Publishers' Association accompanied by different publishers this year, ...
Mon, 26 Jan 2015 01:45:27 -0800
The list is completed by Solomon, chief executive of the Society of Authors, and Mollet, c.e.o. of The Publishers Association. In the New Media category are figures including Alfie Deyes and Zoe Sugg, both YouTube stars who have released bestselling ...
Fri, 09 Jan 2015 01:37:05 -0800
Pan Macmillan m.d. Anthony Forbes Watson said the general election would be of concern, as “a year in which there is a general election is a year of uncertainty”, while Richard Mollet, c.e.o. of The Publishers Association, said the election would ...
Mon, 19 Jan 2015 02:18:45 -0800
Clegg's promise comes after the Read On. Get On. campaign launched in September, backed by Save the Children in partnership with Booktrust and the Publishers Association. It called for all political parties to support the target of helping all children ...
Thu, 15 Jan 2015 02:18:45 -0800
The seventh edition of the Publishing for Digital Minds Conference, in association with the Publishers Association, will take place at Olympia, beginning at 9am on Monday 13 April 2015 and run for the whole day, offering two concurrent streams. Setting ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.