|Swansea bus station|
|Locale||Swansea City Centre|
|Managed by||Swansea City Council|
|Operators||First Cymru (Principal Operator)
Select Bus Services
1st Call Travel
Swansea bus station, or Swansea city bus station, is a bus station serving Swansea, Wales. It lies immediately to the west of the Quadrant Shopping Centre. The bus station also has a taxi rank to the south.
The station has 20 stands for local bus services with 3 stands for national coach services. Coach services operated by National Express depart to Llanelli, Carmarthen and Haverfordwest to the west; and London, Birmingham, Cardiff, Bristol as well as Heathrow Airport and Gatwick Airport to the east. There is an hourly service, served by First Group's Greyhound subsidiary from the bus station to Bridgend Designer Outlet and Cardiff Central Station or Cardiff Bay.
History and redevelopment
The bus station opened along with the Quadrant Shopping Centre in 1979, replacing the old bus station opposite (next to the Grand Theatre). The bus station was becoming old and run down by the mid 2000s and plans were put forward by the local council to re-develop the site into a more modern bus facility.
In July 2008, it was announced that funding from the European Convergence programme was approved to help with the £11 million redevelopment of the station. On 1 August 2008 it was confirmed that work on the new bus station would begin in January 2009, but it was headlined in the South Wales Evening Post on 1 December 2008, that work would not start until May 2009. Work started on 13 June 2009 and the newly built bus station opened on 6 December 2010. New retail units were built within the bus station building but opened on a later date. These units include a Greggs bakery, Costa Coffee and a Co-operative store.
- "Swansea bus station plans approved". City and County of Swansea. 22 February 2006. Retrieved 4 July 2008.
- "Swansea City Centre - Passenger Information". Swansea City Centre. 24 April 2009. Retrieved 27 April 2008.
- A Timeline of Swansea
- "Bus station plans move a step closer". City and County of Swansea. 1 June 2007. Retrieved 4 July 2008.
- "Overhaul for Swansea bus station". BBC News. 1 July 2008. Retrieved 4 July 2008.
- This is South Wales - Swansea traders are all aboard timely opening of £10m bus station