|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2013)|
Better Network, Better Value.
|Type||Wholly owned subsidiary of Digitel|
|Founded||Manila, Philippines (2003)|
|Headquarters||Quezon City, Philippines|
|Key people||Manuel V. Pangilinan, Chairman
Orland Vea, President and CEO
Value Added Services
|Parent||Digital Telecommunications Phils., Inc. (a PLDT company)|
Digitel Mobile Philippines, Inc., doing business as Sun Cellular, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Digital Telecommunications Philippines, which in turn is owned by the Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company (PLDT) and is one of the Philippines’ largest mobile telecommunications companies. It was established by Digitel in September 2001 to provide wireless public and private telecommunications services.
In August 7, 2000, Digitel was granted a permit by the NTC to establish and operate a Nationwide Cellular Mobile Telephone System (CMTS) using Global System for Mobile (GSM) and/or Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) technology. The following month, the company founded the Digitel Mobile Philippines, Inc. (DMPI) to assist in its wireless service.
In December 11, 2002, the government granted DMPI, through Republic Act No. 9180, the right to establish a permanent franchise to create and manage a wireless telecommunications service. DMPI launched its wireless service, known as Sun Cellular, in March 2003. From mobile telephony, Sun Cellular expanded its services to voice, messaging and international roaming services, to wireless broadband and value-added services for consumers and businesses. In October 2003, the Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company (PLDT) acquired Digitel, including Sun Cellular, from parent JG Summit Holdings. Although PLDT also owns competitor Smart Communications, the two networks remain separate entities with completely independent mobile network infrastructure and corporate management structures.
Because of its exemplary service, Sun Cellular received the following awards:
- Most Promising Telecom Service Provider in Asia Pacific award in the 2009 Frost & Sullivan ICT Award in Singapore.
- The Agora Marketing Company of the Year in 2009 Award for its excellence in pioneering intra-network unlimited services and revolutionizing the country's telecommunications industry practices.
- The 2004 Philippine Marketing Excellence Award
- The 2005 Silver Prize for Most Effective New Service Introduction and Top 25 Philippine Companies recognized by Business Mirror and Stern Steward & Co.
- In 2011, Sun Cellular won the Philippines Mobile Service Provider of the Year from the Frost & Sullivan Asia Pacific Best Practices Awards in Singapore.
- Sun Cellular - About Us retrieved October 31, 2013