Relief map depicting St George's Channel and the Irish Sea
St George's Channel (Welsh: Sianel San Siôr, Irish: Muir Bhreatan) is a sea channel connecting the Irish Sea to the north and the Celtic Sea to the southwest.
Historically, the name "St Georges Channel" was used interchangeably with "Irish Sea" or "Irish Channel" to encompass all the waters between Ireland to the west and Great Britain to the east. Later it was restricted to the portion separating Wales from Leinster, sometimes extending south to the waters between the West Country of England and East Munster; the latter have since the 1970s come to be called the Celtic Sea. In Ireland "St George's Channel" is now usually taken to refer only to the narrowest part of the channel, between Carnsore Point in Wexford and St David's Head in Pembrokeshire. However, it remains common in Ireland to talk about a cross-channel trip, cross-channel soccer, etc., where "cross-channel" means "to/from Great Britain".
The current (third, 1953) edition of the International Hydrographic Organization's publication Limits of Oceans and Seas defines the southern limit of "Irish Sea and St. George's Channel" as "A line joining St. David's Head (51°54′N 5°19′W / 51.900°N 5.317°W) to Carnsore Point (52°10′N 6°22′W / 52.167°N 6.367°W)"; it does not define the two waterbodies separately. The 2002 draft fourth edition omits the "and St. George's Channel" part of the label.
A 2004 letter from the St.George's Channel Shipping Company to Seascapes, an RTÉ Radio programme, said that St George's Channel bordered the Irish coast between Howth Head and Kilmore Quay, and criticised contributors to the programme who had used "Irish Sea" for these waters.
The name "St George's Channel" is recorded in 1578 in Martin Frobisher's record of his second voyage. It is said to derive from a legend that Saint George had voyaged to Roman Britain from the Byzantine Empire, approaching Britain via the channel that bears his name. The name was popularised by English settlers in Ireland after the Plantations.
- ^ "Muir Bhreatan". logainm.ie. Placenames Branch (Department of Community, Equality and Gaeltacht Affairs). Retrieved 18 September 2010.
- ^ C.Michael Hogan. 2011. Irish Sea. eds P.Saundry & C.Cleveland. encyclopedia of Earth. National Council for Science and the Environment. Washington DC
- ^ a b c Andrews, John Harwood (January 1997). Shapes of Ireland: maps and their makers 1564–1839. Geography Publications. pp. 87–8, 155. ISBN 978-0-906602-95-9. Retrieved 18 September 2010.
- ^ a b c Thomas Curtis, ed. (1839). "George's Channel (St.)". The London encyclopaedia 10. p. 133. Retrieved 18 September 2010.
- ^ Heslinga, Marcus Willem (1979). The Irish border as a cultural divide: a contribution to the study of regionalism in the British Isles. Van Gorcum. p. 8. ISBN 978-90-232-0864-8. Retrieved 18 September 2010.
- ^ "Limits of Oceans and Seas, 3rd edition". International Hydrographic Organization. 1953. Retrieved 18 September 2010.
- ^ Choo, Sungjae (2007). "The Cases of International Standardization of Sea Names and Their Implications for Justifying the Name East Sea". Journal of the Korean Geographical Society 42 (5): 751; Table 3, footnote. Retrieved 15 August 2012.
- ^ "Seascapes News Summary". RTÉ.ie. 30 September 2004. Retrieved 18 September 2010.
- ^ Taylor, Isaac (1896). "St. George's Channel". Names and their histories, alphabetically arranged as a handbook of historical geography and topographical nomenclature. Rivington, Percival. p. 243. Retrieved 18 September 2010.
- ^ Room, Adrian (2006). "St George's Channel". Placenames of the world: origins and meanings of the names for 6,600 countries, cities, territories, natural features, and historic sites. McFarland. p. 326. ISBN 978-0-7864-2248-7. Retrieved 18 September 2010.
Coordinates: 52°5′N 5°45′W / 52.083°N 5.750°W
Dolphins, Minkie Whales in St Georges Channel, June 2012
A large pod of Common Dolphins and two Minkie Whales right at the end, while sailing from Courtown, Co. Wexford in Ireland to Land's End in June 2010 http://www.courtownharbour.com/
North St George's Channel rMCZ
North St George's Channel rMCZ is an awesome site not only for it marine life but also its geology, join Lindsay and support its designation. www.wildlifetrusts.org/MCZfriends.
Sunrise Over England (St. George's Channel)
Short video taken from the 2nd last row on a BA 747-400 enroute to London-Heathrow Airport. You can clearly see the contrails from our plane visible in the sunlight.
Bermuda Cruiseship Through St. George's Channel
Cruise ship travelling through St. George's Channel. Up close and personal!
HAWG & HEN BBQ, St Georges Channel Hall Dundee Nova Scotia
Arianne & Andy playing for the Hawg pullers the night before the BBQ.
beautiful harbour in Dun Laoghaire Mallin - St. George's Channel ( Ireland )
piękny port na Kanale Św. Grzegorza mijany po drodze z Dublina do Bray.
EQ3D ALERT: 3/15/15 - 5.9 magnitude earthquake in the St Georges Channel
Deep quake off the coast of East New Britain Province, Papua New Guinea...............Earthquake watch! be prepared. Free app download: http://www.wolton.net/quake.html links: http://earthquaketr...
Avenue Q - St. George's School of Montreal
St. George's High School presented the musical Avenue Q from March 26-28, 2014. The show was a success, selling out all three nights - congratulations to the talented cast and crew!
St George's, Bermuda on a Moped
Cruise Ship & Island Travel Gear & Advice - http://goo.gl/wCdIV9 Please share this video with others and be sure to subscribe to IrixGuy's Adventure Channel (http://youtube.com/IrixGuy) and...
Joseph Bologne Chevalier de Saint-Georges. Violin Concerto in G major, Op.2, No.1
Joseph Bologne Chevalier de Saint Georges Violin Concerto in G major, Op.2, No.1 I. Allegro 00:00 II. Largo 09:49 III. Rondeau 16:19 Yura Lee, violin Bayerische Kammerphilharmonie Reinhard...
Thu, 19 Mar 2015 20:27:33 -0700
One well-noted feature of Bardsey Island is the Bardsey Lighthouse. It sits upon the peninsula at the southern tip of the island, and helps to guide vessels through St. George's Channel. The lighthouse was built by Trinity House (a private corporation ...
Hudson Star Observer
Hudson Star Observer
Sat, 14 Mar 2015 00:43:33 -0700
We took a bus to Wicklow, Maureen's home town, about 30 miles south on the coast, between the Irish Sea and St. George's Channel. I stood on the ruins of a 1,000-year-old castle there, and when I looked out over the ocean from it, I couldn't tell where ...
Cape Breton Post
Mon, 16 Mar 2015 03:18:45 -0700
Cape Breton Community Calendar is a public service listing of community events sponsored by non-profit groups. To ensure adequate advance publication, submit notices at least two weeks prior to the event. Limit announcements to 24 words or less.
Fri, 06 Mar 2015 14:58:57 -0800
The battle was fought at night on a calm sea in St. George's Channel, one of the main convoy routes that funnelled much-needed supplies into Britain during the war. According to naval archives and research conducted by Simpson's grandson, U-1302, a new ...
Mon, 03 Nov 2014 17:50:38 -0800
The great predators of Britain's seas need protection from over-fishing, pollution, boat traffic and marine development, a report says. The Wildlife Trusts are calling on the government to create 17 protected zones for whales, dolphins, porpoises and ...
South Wales Argus
Mon, 02 Feb 2015 02:18:46 -0800
The presence of enemy submarines has frequently been reported of the west cost of Scotland in St George's channel and in the Irish Sea. Admiral Von Tirpitz made the remark at Christmas in an American journal that the larger type of our boats could ...
Fri, 13 Feb 2015 12:26:15 -0800
They are as large as Brookfield, Bridgewater and Tatamagouche; and as small as St. George's Channel, Lismore and Area, and Paq'tnkek Mi'kmak Nation. When the lieutenant governor arrives for each local award day, residents are there in full force, ...
Cape Breton Post
Thu, 15 Jan 2015 10:56:15 -0800
18 at the St. George's Channel Hall. Ann Marie Yorke's column appears every two weeks in the Cape Breton Post and she can be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Organizations: Old Flat Calm Inn, Cape Breton Post. Geographic location: ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.