|— Municipality of Belgium —|
|• Mayor||Charles Janssens|
|• Governing party/ies||PS|
|• Total||27.14 km2 (10.48 sq mi)|
|Population (1 January 2011)|
|• Density||600/km2 ( 1,500/sq mi)|
Soumagne is a municipality of Belgium. It lies in the country's Walloon Region and Province of Liege. On September 1, 2008 Soumagne had a total population of 15,894. The total area is 27.14 km² which gives a population density of 585 inhabitants per km².
The actual Soumagne is made of several municipalities that were merged in 1977 during the reorganization of the Belgian territory (Merge of the municipalities in Belgium (in French)):
From the end of the 19th century until the 1960s, due to a lot of coal mines and a large production factory (called "Cooperative"), Soumagne was a flourishing municipality. After the end of coal mining, the mines were cleaned and residences as well as shopping areas were built on. Some buildings are kept and transformed into touristical activities (such as "le domaine du Bas-Bois").
Since 1980, due to the higher number of people leaving big cities (Liège and Verviers) to more rural municipalities, and due to the highway E40 (European route E40) passing on its territory, Soumagne recovers from the loss of coal mining and the end of the "Cooperative". In that period, houses are built due to a new, and young, population settling down in Soumagne. A lot of new shops and commercial centers are opened and small companies are emerging.
There are a few touristic points in Soumange (among others):
- the Evegnée fountain (natural fountain in a rural landscape)
- Saint-Lambert church (built during the 13th century, burnt in 1694 and rebuilt)
- "domaine du Bas-Bois" (a former coal mine site)
- Wégimont castle (14th century construction changed through the centuries with a park transformed into a family amusement area Domaine Provincial de Wégimont (in French))
- Population per municipality on 1 January 2011 (XLS; 322 KB)
- Direction Generale Institutions et Population, http://www.ibz.rrn.fgov.be/fileadmin/user_upload/Registre/fr/statistiques_population/stat_1_f.pdf
|This Liège location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|