||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (March 2013)|
|Born||Otis Burt Shroyer, Jr.
August 28, 1935
Valdosta, Georgia, U.S.
Otis Burt "Sonny" Shroyer, Jr. (born August 28, 1935) is an American actor who has appeared in various television and movie roles. He is best known for his role as Deputy Sheriff Enos Strate in the television series The Dukes of Hazzard. He also starred in a spin-off called Enos based on his Dukes of Hazzard character. Shroyer is married and has two sons, Chris and Mark.
Shroyer was born in the town of Valdosta, Georgia. He attended Florida State University on a football scholarship, but his career was cut short by an injury. He finished his degree at the University of Georgia.
He began a career as a professional model in 1961. His first screen role came in the 1972 film Payday. Shroyer almost became typecast as a bad guy before landing the role of the naive Deputy Enos Strate in the hit pop culture series The Dukes of Hazzard in 1978 (first broadcast early 1979).
The Dukes of Hazzard role was Shroyer's most visible. His character was written out at the start of the third season to be given a spinoff series titled Enos in 1980. The new show was not a success and was canceled after eighteen episodes. Shroyer returned to The Dukes of Hazzard at the start of the fifth season in 1982 and remained with the series until it ended in 1985. Shroyer also released a children's album in 1982. The album was called Back in Hazzard and featured a cover of Roger Miller's classic, "You Can't Rollerskate In a Buffalo Herd". He also recorded a song "Children in Need" with fellow actor Randall Franks for Franks's 2001 CD God's Children. He and Franks have made personal appearances together.
Shroyer remains active as a character actor. He portrayed University of Alabama coach Paul "Bear" Bryant in Forrest Gump, Delbert Birdsong in The Rainmaker, and Governor Jimmie Davis in Ray. He is also a country and gospel singer.
- Unconditional (2012) Pauley
- The Way Home (2010) - Ed Walker
- The Price - Ghost (2008)
- The Hole in Willie's Guitar - Memarie Music Video (2005) - Sheriff
- A Tale About Bootlegging (2005) - Sheriff Ed Cooper
- Ray (2004) - Jimmie Davis
- Freedom Song (2000) - Police Chief
- Paradise Falls (1997) - Bert Kyler
- The Rainmaker (1997) - Delbert Birdsong
- Bastard Out of Carolina (1996) - Sheriff
- Forrest Gump (1994) - Bear Bryant
- In The Heat of the Night (1993) - Dwight Foster
- In the Heat of the Night (1990) - Emory Tanner
- The Devil and Max Devlin (1981) - Big Billy Hunniker
- Enos (1980) - Enos Strate
- The Dukes of Hazzard (1979 - 1980, 1982 - 1985) - Enos Strate
- King TV Miniseries (1978) - Police Officer preventing King from visiting an injured friend
- The Million Dollar Dixie Deliverance (1978) - Luke
- Smokey and the Bandit (1977) - Motorcycle cop (uncredited)
- Roots (1977) - Seaman Thompson (uncredited)
- The Longest Yard (1974) - Tannen
- Payday (1972) - Dabney