The mill in 2005
|Mill name||Somerley Mill|
|Mill location||SZ 817 983
|Base storeys||Single-storey base|
|Smock sides||Eight sides|
|Number of sails||Four sails|
|Type of sails||Two Spring sails and two Common sails|
|Number of pairs of millstones||Two pairs, a third pair driven by engine|
Somerley Mill, was first mentioned in 1803. It was raised in 1827, with a brick base being built under the mill. It was working until 1942. Currently, only the tower stands, the cap having been removed and a temporary roof placed over the top of the smock.
Somerley Mill is a three-storey smock mill on a single-storey brick base. It had a Beehive cap and was winded by a fantail. When working it had two Common sails and two Spring sails. The mill drove two pairs of overdrift millstones, with a third pair worked by engine.
- Ellis - 1942
References for above:-
See also 
- "EARNLEY WINDMILL, BELL LANE, EARNLEY, CHICHESTER, WEST SUSSEX". English Heritage. Retrieved 2008-05-10.
- Brunnarius, Martin (1979). The Windmills of Sussex. Chichester: Philimore. pp. p59–60, 190. ISBN 0-85033-345-8.
Further reading 
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2013)|
- Windmill World Page on Earnley Windmill.
Hemming, Peter (1936). Windmills in Sussex. London: C W Daniel. Online version
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.