Sodium ascorbate is one of a number of mineral salts of ascorbic acid (vitamin C). The molecular formula of this chemical compound is C6H7NaO6. As the sodium salt of ascorbic acid, it is known as a mineral ascorbate. It has not been demonstrated to be more bioavailable than any other form of vitamin C supplement.
Sodium ascorbate normally provides 131 mg of sodium per 1,000 mg of ascorbic acid (1,000 mg of sodium ascorbate contains 889 mg of ascorbic acid and 111 mg of sodium).
As a food additive, it has the E number E301 and is used as an antioxidant and an acidity regulator. It is approved for use as a food additive in the EU, USA, and Australia and New Zealand.
In in vitro studies, sodium ascorbate has been found to produce cytotoxic effects in various malignant cell lines, which include melanoma cells that are particularly susceptible.
Sodium ascorbate is produced by dissolving ascorbic acid in water and adding an equivalent amount of sodium bicarbonate in water. After cessation of effervescence, the sodium ascorbate is precipitated by the addition of isopropanol.
- ^ (+)-Sodium L-ascorbate at Sigma-Aldrich
- ^ Linus Pauling Institute, Oregon Stare University: "Bioavailability of Different Forms of Vitamin C". Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- ^ UK Food Standards Agency: "Current EU approved additives and their E Numbers". Retrieved 2011-10-27.
- ^ US Food and Drug Administration: "Listing of Food Additives Status Part II". Retrieved 2011-10-27.
- ^ Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code"Standard 1.2.4 - Labelling of ingredients". Retrieved 2011-10-27.
- ^ Chen Q, Espey MG, Krishna MC, Mitchell JB, Corpe CP, Buettner GR, Shacter E, Levine M. (September 2005). "Pharmacologic ascorbic acid concentrations selectively kill cancer cells: Action as a pro-drug to deliver hydrogen peroxide to tissues". Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 102 (38): 13604–9. doi:10.1073/pnas.0506390102. PMC 1224653. PMID 16157892.
- ^ Kang JS, Cho D, Kim YI, Hahm E, Kim YS, Jin SN, Kim HN, Kim D, Hur D, Park H, Hwang YI, Lee WJ. . (July 2005). "Sodium ascorbate (vitamin C) induces apoptosis in melanoma cells via the down-regulation of transferrin receptor dependent iron uptake". J Cell Physiol. 204 (1): 192–7. doi:10.1002/jcp.20286. PMID 15672419.
Troy Daily News
Wed, 07 Jan 2015 18:48:45 -0800
The strategy is to take high doses of sodium ascorbate. Please note it is extremely important that you utilize sodium ascorbate and not calcium or potassium ascorbate forms. This is because the necessary dosing levels can be high enough that these ...
Business Wire (press release)
Thu, 06 Nov 2014 10:11:15 -0800
The report firstly reviews the basic information of Sodium Ascorbate including its classification, application and manufacturing technology. The report then explores global and China's top manufacturers of Sodium Ascorbate listing their product ...
LSU The Reveille
Wed, 21 Jan 2015 18:31:39 -0800
The team used sodium ascorbate — vitamin C — to make the copper compound and carbon dioxide transform into oxalate. Because using solely vitamin C for this experiment would be an expensive method to produce a not-so-useful product, the team took it ...
Mon, 19 Jan 2015 08:58:34 -0800
... cyanide-4-(trifluoromethoxy)phenylhydrazone (FCCP) at 0.15 μM (final concentration in well), antimycin A (AA) at 2.5μM, N,N,N′,N′-tetramethyl-p-phenylenediamine/sodium ascorbate (TMPD/A) at 0.25 mM/1.25 mM and sodium azide (NaN3) at 20 mM.
Thu, 29 Jan 2015 01:11:15 -0800
Lagos - When we get a cold, the first thing we are told is to get some vitamin C into our bodies. Even though a number of studies have found that taking vitamin C doesn't prevent us from getting colds and flu, it does appear to strengthen our immunity ...
Sun, 15 Apr 2012 18:13:45 -0700
UPON my return to the USA from a medical mission in Macebebe, Pampanga, I received an email from a reader, who is a practicing physician in Cebu, inquiring about the efficacy and safety of sodium ascorbate, which I know is widely advertised as ...
PR.com (press release)
Sun, 03 Apr 2011 10:29:59 -0700
Vitamin C Foundation Approved® Sodium Ascorbate is now available. Their sodium ascorbate is made from DSM Nutritional Products Quali-C® manufactured in Europe. The fine powder is non-acidic, hypoallergenic, GMO-free, and 100% corn free.
Tue, 30 Sep 2014 22:41:48 -0700
DALLAS — Three Dallas Fire-Rescue paramedics and several emergency room workers at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital are off work and under observation after making contact with the patient being treated for Ebola. None of the individuals has been ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.