Sodium ascorbate is one of a number of mineral salts of ascorbic acid (vitamin C). The molecular formula of this chemical compound is C6H7NaO6. As the sodium salt of ascorbic acid, it is known as a mineral ascorbate. It has not been demonstrated to be more bioavailable than any other form of vitamin C supplement.
Sodium ascorbate normally provides 131 mg of sodium per 1,000 mg of ascorbic acid (1,000 mg of sodium ascorbate contains 889 mg of ascorbic acid and 111 mg of sodium).
As a food additive, it has the E number E301 and is used as an antioxidant and an acidity regulator. It is approved for use as a food additive in the EU, USA, and Australia and New Zealand.
In in vitro studies, sodium ascorbate has been found to produce cytotoxic effects in various malignant cell lines, which include melanoma cells that are particularly susceptible.
Sodium ascorbate is produced by dissolving ascorbic acid in water and adding an equivalent amount of sodium bicarbonate in water. After cessation of effervescence, the sodium ascorbate is precipitated by the addition of isopropanol.
- ^ (+)-Sodium L-ascorbate at Sigma-Aldrich
- ^ Linus Pauling Institute, Oregon Stare University: "Bioavailability of Different Forms of Vitamin C". Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- ^ UK Food Standards Agency: "Current EU approved additives and their E Numbers". Retrieved 2011-10-27.
- ^ US Food and Drug Administration: "Listing of Food Additives Status Part II". Retrieved 2011-10-27.
- ^ Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code"Standard 1.2.4 - Labelling of ingredients". Retrieved 2011-10-27.
- ^ Chen Q, Espey MG, Krishna MC, Mitchell JB, Corpe CP, Buettner GR, Shacter E, Levine M. (September 2005). "Pharmacologic ascorbic acid concentrations selectively kill cancer cells: Action as a pro-drug to deliver hydrogen peroxide to tissues". Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 102 (38): 13604–9. doi:10.1073/pnas.0506390102. PMC 1224653. PMID 16157892.
- ^ Kang JS, Cho D, Kim YI, Hahm E, Kim YS, Jin SN, Kim HN, Kim D, Hur D, Park H, Hwang YI, Lee WJ. . (July 2005). "Sodium ascorbate (vitamin C) induces apoptosis in melanoma cells via the down-regulation of transferrin receptor dependent iron uptake". J Cell Physiol. 204 (1): 192–7. doi:10.1002/jcp.20286. PMID 15672419.
Business Wire (press release)
Thu, 06 Nov 2014 10:11:15 -0800
Market Research Report on Global and Chinese Sodium Ascorbate Industry, 2009-2019 is a professional and in-depth market survey on Global and Chinese Sodium Ascorbate industry. The report firstly reviews the basic information of Sodium Ascorbate ...
Mon, 24 Nov 2014 08:10:34 -0800
After 1 min of labeling, the cells were washed three times with quencher solution (10 mM sodium azide, 10 mM sodium ascorbate, and 5 mM Trolox) and then scraped and pelleted by centrifugation at 3,000g for 10 min. The pellet was stored at –80 °C and ...
nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper
Sat, 01 Nov 2014 11:34:54 -0700
E301 — Sodium ascorbate but not found to cause any problems, E120 — Carmine but it is added to hot dogs. Carmine is another word for the red food dye cochineal, which has no health effects, as long as you are not allergic to insects. Cochineal is ...
Sun, 15 Apr 2012 18:07:30 -0700
UPON my return to the USA from a medical mission in Macebebe, Pampanga, I received an email from a reader, who is a practicing physician in Cebu, inquiring about the efficacy and safety of sodium ascorbate, which I know is widely advertised as ...
PR.com (press release)
Sun, 03 Apr 2011 10:29:59 -0700
Vitamin C Foundation Approved® Sodium Ascorbate is now available. Their sodium ascorbate is made from DSM Nutritional Products Quali-C® manufactured in Europe. The fine powder is non-acidic, hypoallergenic, GMO-free, and 100% corn free.
Fri, 17 Oct 2014 08:24:02 -0700
It starts with sodium ascorbate at 180 grams/day, IV, around-the-clock (1) to stop the bleeding from scurvy.(2) To stop the internal burning from reactive oxygen species, which sodium ascorbate puts out like a fire hose!Then (3) to recharge the immune ...
Thu, 09 Oct 2014 04:53:45 -0700
On the hour-long drive to New Brunswick, I listened to my car radio. For the entire 60 minutes I heard hype about the dire threat of Ebola to Americans. News shows, talk shows, it didn't matter: It was all Ebola all the time. Over and over I heard how ...
Tue, 21 Oct 2014 09:17:00 -0700
... the failure to even try Vitamin C, (which may help and certainly won't hurt) in conjunction with any other treatments being given, couldn't be more unethical. The Vitamin C is preferably administered as IV sodium ascorbate but it can also be given ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.