The Slinger is a Midwestern diner specialty typically consisting of two eggs, hash browns, and a hamburger patty (or any other meat) all covered in chili con carne (with or without beans) and generously topped with cheese (cheddar or American) and onions. The eggs can be any style. The Slinger is considered to be a St. Louis late-night culinary original. It is described as "a hometown culinary invention: a mishmash of meat, hash-fried potatoes, eggs, and chili, sided with your choice of ham, sausage, bacon, hamburger patties, or an entire T-bone steak.
There are numerous variations of the basic Slinger:
- "Top One": Has a tamale served on top of the Slinger.
- "Vegetarian": Uses veggie burgers and veggie chili.
- "The Toby"/"The Hoosier": Slinger that has white gravy instead of chili. (Named after a customer at Tiffany's Original Diner.)
- "Yin and Yang": Slinger covered in half chili/half gravy. A customer favorite at Tiffany's Original Diner, and named by manager Tom Gray. (The Yin Yang is both light and dark in color.)
- "The Jared": Slinger with equal amounts of chili and white
- "The JP Slinger": Slinger with hamburger patty, extra onions and extra chili.
- "Devil's Delight": Slinger minus the hamburgers patties at Courtesy Diner.
- Saint Louis cuisine
- Garbage Plate, the Rochester, NY area style plate piled with diner type foods
- Horseshoe sandwich, Springfield, IL open-faced sandwich covered with fries and cheese sauce
- Hot hamburger plate, an open-faced sandwich covered with fries and gravy
- Cincinnati chili, a Midwestern-style of chili often served piled high
- Loco Moco, Hawaiian dish with many foods served on rice
- Poutine, a Quebec dish, made with french fries, topped with brown gravy and curd cheese.
- ^ Cheap Eats - - Calendar - St. Louis - Riverfront Times
Thu, 28 Aug 2014 07:26:15 -0700
The life-long Chicagoan has become a local legend of sorts. Friday, she's celebrating her 85th birthday. She's seen owners come and go – she's on her fourth now – but what hasn't changed is the quality of her work. Aside from an assistant, she's all ...
Pretty Much Amazing
Pretty Much Amazing
Wed, 27 Aug 2014 11:56:15 -0700
A few weeks ago, iLoveMakonnen got a huge boost in popularity after Toronto ambassador, and rapper, Drake offered his own remix of the Tuesday-adoring club song, renaming “Club Going Up On A Tuesday” to just “Tuesday” and adding his signature ...
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Thu, 07 Aug 2014 15:42:34 -0700
Koehler, 44, who moved from Greenfield to Slinger in 2012, is not playing up her race in this election, nor is she hiding it. "I can't ignore it. I do look different from anybody that's run," she said. Two other Republicans, Bob Gannon and Sandy Voss ...
Mon, 11 Aug 2014 16:31:32 -0700
SLINGER -- A moment of anger and a matter of seconds was all it took for sprint car driver Kevin Ward, Jr.'s life to end. "He should've known better, the race was going on," racing fan Izzy Gomez said Monday. Two days after Tony Stewart's car hit ward ...
Mason City Globe Gazette
Wed, 20 Aug 2014 22:07:35 -0700
Montoya is a self-taught guitar slinger who plays with an emotional intensity few string benders possess. Playing left-handed and upside down like Albert King, Montoya learned his guitar techniques from his years with Collins. “I never had a lesson in ...
Maryville Daily Times
Wed, 20 Aug 2014 18:13:58 -0700
After putting out four records in less than a year's time, Americana guitarist and songwriter Jim Lauderdale thought he might take it easy for the rest of 2014. So much for good intentions, he told The Daily Times this week.
New York Post
Tue, 12 Aug 2014 18:40:43 -0700
Models show off Kate Spade bags during New York Fashion Week in February. Photo: WireImage. Wall Street has been dipping into handbags lately — and getting its fingers caught. Kate Spade's investors are the latest casualty in a brutal month for ...
Mon, 11 Aug 2014 12:07:30 -0700
For his part, Star Slinger drops the deep, rubbery bassline and adds a citrusy Balearic twist via bright new melodic elements and syncopated chords. Those larger-than-life diva vocals are still in place--as they should be--but Star Slinger's take is ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about Slinger with people all over the world in our discussions.