The Slinger is a Midwestern diner specialty typically consisting of two eggs, hash browns, and a hamburger patty (or any other meat) all covered in chili con carne (with or without beans) and generously topped with cheese (cheddar or American) and onions. The eggs can be any style. The Slinger is considered to be a St. Louis late-night culinary original. It is described as "a hometown culinary invention: a mishmash of meat, hash-fried potatoes, eggs, and chili, sided with your choice of ham, sausage, bacon, hamburger patties, or an entire T-bone steak.
There are numerous variations of the basic Slinger:
- "Top One": Has a tamale served on top of the Slinger.
- "Vegetarian": Uses veggie burgers and veggie chili.
- "The Toby"/"The Hoosier": Slinger that has white gravy instead of chili. (Named after a customer at Tiffany's Original Diner.)
- "Yin and Yang": Slinger covered in half chili/half gravy. A customer favorite at Tiffany's Original Diner, and named by manager Tom Gray. (The Yin Yang is both light and dark in color.)
- "The Jared": Slinger with equal amounts of chili and white
- "The JP Slinger": Slinger with hamburger patty, extra onions and extra chili.
- "Devil's Delight": Slinger minus the hamburgers patties at Courtesy Diner.
- Saint Louis cuisine
- Garbage Plate, the Rochester, NY area style plate piled with diner type foods
- Horseshoe sandwich, Springfield, IL open-faced sandwich covered with fries and cheese sauce
- Hot hamburger plate, an open-faced sandwich covered with fries and gravy
- Cincinnati chili, a Midwestern-style of chili often served piled high
- Loco Moco, Hawaiian dish with many foods served on rice
- Poutine, a Quebec dish, made with french fries, topped with brown gravy and curd cheese.
- ^ Cheap Eats - - Calendar - St. Louis - Riverfront Times
Tue, 28 Oct 2014 20:00:00 -0700
SLINGER - New developments in Slinger, where a condo owner was living in filth. Neighbors say thanks to the help of TODAY'S TMJ4, a clean-up is finally underway. Neighbors estimate that more than 100 bags of garbage have been removed from the condo ...
Mon, 27 Oct 2014 03:41:15 -0700
GERMANTOWN, Wis. (AP) — A woman has been arrested in Washington County on suspicion of driving drunk, which would be her seventh such offense. The Wisconsin State Patrol says a trooper and Germantown police responded to a single-vehicle crash ...
Fri, 24 Oct 2014 04:17:14 -0700
THE HALE INTERCHANGE, LOOKING GOOD. ONE INCIDENT. AT 2:00 THIS MORNING A SEMI FIRE ON NORTHBOUND 41 AT HIGHWAY K. IT HAS BEEN CLOSED AT HIGHWAY K &'S. YOU HAVE TO GET OFF OF K AT 175 AND TAKE W. HOPEFULLY ...
Tue, 07 Oct 2014 19:31:21 -0700
SLINGER (WITI) — Diapers piled to the ceiling, and cat litter overflowing inside a condo in Slinger had neighbors meeting on Tuesday night, October 7th in an effort to find help for a suspected hoarder — and themselves. Those who live in the Maple ...
Herald Times Reporter
Herald Times Reporter
Sat, 25 Oct 2014 19:26:11 -0700
Manitowoc Lincoln's April Brunner, left, and Sarah Greene, right, celebrate a point in their first match against Slinger during a WIAA State Volleyball Division 1 regional final on Saturday at Manitowoc Lincoln High School. (Photo: Matthew Apgar/<252 ...
Fond du Lac Reporter
Fond du Lac Reporter
Thu, 23 Oct 2014 19:59:47 -0700
That couldn't be more true than Thursday night as the eighth-seeded Fond du Lac girls volleyball team hosted ninth-seeded Slinger in a WIAA Division 1 regional semifinal. Fondy, which beat Slinger 2-1 in a tournament earlier this month, was simply ...
Fri, 17 Oct 2014 20:56:15 -0700
You voted! Tom Pipines showed up! And so did the Slinger Owls. They beat Hartford 21-6. While they battle against each other on the field, coaches on both sides fight for a cure, and Cancer research off the field.
Fri, 24 Oct 2014 05:00:03 -0700
WASHINGTON COUNTY --All lanes of northbound traffic on US 41 near Slinger have reopened after an overnight truck fire shut down the highway. An alert from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation said the fire broke out just before 2 a.m. on US 41 at ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.