The Slinger is a Midwestern diner specialty typically consisting of two eggs, hash browns, and a hamburger patty (or any other meat) all covered in chili con carne (with or without beans) and generously topped with cheese (cheddar or American) and onions. The eggs can be any style. The Slinger is considered to be a St. Louis late-night culinary original. It is described as "a hometown culinary invention: a mishmash of meat, hash-fried potatoes, eggs, and chili, sided with your choice of ham, sausage, bacon, hamburger patties, or an entire T-bone steak.
There are numerous variations of the basic Slinger:
- "Top One": Has a tamale served on top of the Slinger.
- "Vegetarian": Uses veggie burgers and veggie chili.
- "The Toby"/"The Hoosier": Slinger that has white gravy instead of chili. (Named after a customer at Tiffany's Original Diner.)
- "Yin and Yang": Slinger covered in half chili/half gravy. A customer favorite at Tiffany's Original Diner, and named by manager Tom Gray. (The Yin Yang is both light and dark in color.)
- "The Jared": Slinger with equal amounts of chili and white
- "The JP Slinger": Slinger with hamburger patty, extra onions and extra chili.
- Garbage Plate, the Rochester, NY area style plate piled with diner type foods
- Horseshoe sandwich, Springfield, IL open-faced sandwich covered with fries and cheese sauce
- Hot hamburger plate, an open-faced sandwich covered with fries and gravy
- Cincinnati chili, a Midwestern-style of chili often served piled high
- Loco Moco, Hawaiian dish with many foods served on rice
- Poutine, a Quebec dish, made with french fries, topped with brown gravy and curd cheese.
- ^ Cheap Eats - - Calendar - St. Louis - Riverfront Times
Winona Daily News
Tue, 10 Dec 2013 22:02:10 -0800
You'll have the chance after Toppers Pizza finishes moving in to its new downtown Winona location at 129 E. Third St. — the store is scheduled to be up and running on New Year's Eve, owners said. The new pizza joint will be the first to offer the ...
Mon, 09 Dec 2013 14:41:15 -0800
British producer Star Slinger is releasing a series of four remixes in the run-up to his New Year's Eve show at Beauty Bar in Chicago. The first is a spliced-up edit of Anita Baker's quiet storm classic “Sweet Love” that transmogrifies the song into ...
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Tue, 03 Dec 2013 22:45:00 -0800
Wisconsin Lutheran, which finished undefeated in the Wisconsin Little Ten last season, remains the team to beat in the conference. "They have great players and an incredible amount of depth," Slinger coach Al Schieve said. "And they have as good a ...
Fri, 06 Dec 2013 17:12:55 -0800
Thor teams up with three familiar, but altered, friends to stop Doom, including Clint Barton, Sam Wilson and Peter Parker, all of whom have different alter egos than we're familiar with, as we meet "Bullseye," "Snap" and "Slinger." Peter Parker (voiced ...
Tue, 10 Dec 2013 06:15:00 -0800
The one, the only, Star Slinger, is back today with something new, and once again, the man provides with something smooth and amazing. The track is called “I/IV” and finds Star Slinger supplying our ears with a EDM influenced, soulful cut that is a ...
Mon, 09 Dec 2013 10:56:15 -0800
Marshall, Texas (FOX51) — Bond has been set at $225,000 for an Arkansas man after police say he allegedly injured several people swinging a hatchet inside an East Texas Wal-Mart. Christopher Hamilton, 27, of Crawford, Arkansas, was arraigned on three ...
Mon, 25 Nov 2013 12:15:00 -0800
SLINGER (WITI) — Slinger High School was the recipient on Monday, November 25th of a $25,000 grant from State Farm Insurance. The money was awarded to the school as a thank you for its safe driver commitments through the Celebrate My Drive ...
Mon, 25 Nov 2013 11:42:16 -0800
SLINGER (WITI) — When there's snow in their backyards, skiers are more apt to head toward the slopes. That's exactly what the operators of Little Switzerland in Slinger are hoping. Crews at the ski hill were grooming their main runs at Little ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about Slinger with people all over the world in our discussions.