The Slinger is a Midwestern diner specialty typically consisting of two eggs, hash browns, and a hamburger patty (or any other meat) all covered in chili con carne (with or without beans) and generously topped with cheese (cheddar or American) and onions. The eggs can be any style. The Slinger is considered to be a St. Louis late-night culinary original. It is described as "a hometown culinary invention: a mishmash of meat, hash-fried potatoes, eggs, and chili, sided with your choice of ham, sausage, bacon, hamburger patties, or an entire T-bone steak.
There are numerous variations of the basic Slinger:
- "Top One": Has a tamale served on top of the Slinger.
- "Vegetarian": Uses veggie burgers and veggie chili.
- "The Toby"/"The Hoosier": Slinger that has white gravy instead of chili. (Named after a customer at Tiffany's Original Diner.)
- "Yin and Yang": Slinger covered in half chili/half gravy. A customer favorite at Tiffany's Original Diner, and named by manager Tom Gray. (The Yin Yang is both light and dark in color.)
- "The Jared": Slinger with equal amounts of chili and white
- "The JP Slinger": Slinger with hamburger patty, extra onions and extra chili.
- "Devil's Delight": Slinger minus the hamburgers patties at Courtesy Diner.
- Saint Louis cuisine
- Garbage Plate, the Rochester, NY area style plate piled with diner type foods
- Horseshoe sandwich, Springfield, IL open-faced sandwich covered with fries and cheese sauce
- Hot hamburger plate, an open-faced sandwich covered with fries and gravy
- Cincinnati chili, a Midwestern-style of chili often served piled high
- Loco Moco, Hawaiian dish with many foods served on rice
- Poutine, a Quebec dish, made with french fries, topped with brown gravy and curd cheese.
- ^ Cheap Eats - - Calendar - St. Louis - Riverfront Times
Fri, 17 Oct 2014 20:56:15 -0700
You voted! Tom Pipines showed up! And so did the Slinger Owls. They beat Hartford 21-6. While they battle against each other on the field, coaches on both sides fight for a cure, and Cancer research off the field.
Fri, 10 Oct 2014 17:42:56 -0700
FIFTH IN MILWAUKEE. ANOTHER GREAT NIGHT FOR WEEK EIGHT OF OPERATION FOOTBALL. OUR GAME OF THE WEEK THAT YOU THE VIEWERS PICKED FROM THE WISCONSIN LITTLE TEN CONFERENCE, WISCONSIN LUTHERAN AND ...
Tue, 07 Oct 2014 19:31:21 -0700
SLINGER (WITI) — Diapers piled to the ceiling, and cat litter overflowing inside a condo in Slinger had neighbors meeting on Tuesday night, October 7th in an effort to find help for a suspected hoarder — and themselves. Those who live in the Maple ...
Tue, 14 Oct 2014 10:16:53 -0700
For a man whose band, the Goth-punk favorites My Chemical Romance, broke up last year, Gerard Way is busier than ever. Having long established parallel careers as a rock singer and an award-winning comic book writer (the first run of his original ...
Fri, 26 Sep 2014 09:23:34 -0700
Their tracks are primed for remixes, and today, TIME is premiering Star Slinger's take on “Say My Name.” In the hands of the British DJ and producer, ODESZA's track becomes even more dance-floor worthy, swapping somnolent grooves for Ibiza-ready beats.
Sat, 20 Sep 2014 06:51:25 -0700
SLINGER - A medical condition could be the cause of a deadly crash Friday on Highway 41 near Slinger. An 84-year old man from Illinois was killed, when a black SUV crossed through the median and hit his car head-on. The man's wife was also seriously ...
Fond du Lac Reporter
Fond du Lac Reporter
Thu, 02 Oct 2014 21:07:30 -0700
File photo (Photo: Journal & Courier). 31 CONNECT 1 TWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE. Matt Kuik finished first and Hannah Smith was sixth as the Waupun boys cross country team finished fourth while the girls were sixth at the Slinger Invitational.
Beaver Dam Daily Citizen
Wed, 17 Sep 2014 21:07:41 -0700
It's not to say Slinger won't throw the ball, but only completing 6 of 21 passes for 141 yards is saying something to the Beavers. In 2013, the opponent had to use two quarterbacks, but completed 20 percent of the passes for 54 yards, a touchdown and ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter