The Slinger is a Midwestern diner specialty typically consisting of two eggs, hash browns, and a hamburger patty (or any other meat) all covered in chili con carne stew (with or without beans) and generously topped with cheese (cheddar or American) and onions. The eggs can be any style. The Slinger is considered to be a St. Louis late-night culinary original. It is described as "a hometown culinary invention: a mishmash of meat, hash-fried potatoes, eggs, and chili, sided with your choice of ham, sausage, bacon, hamburger patties, or an entire T-bone steak.
There are numerous variations of the basic Slinger:
- "Top One": Has a tamale served on top of the Slinger.
- "Vegetarian": Uses veggie burgers and veggie chili.
- "The Toby": Slinger that has white gravy instead of chili.
- "Yin and Yang": Slinger covered in half chili/half gravy.
- "The Jared": Slinger with equal amounts of chili and white
- "The JP Slinger": Slinger with hamburger patty, extra onions and extra chili.
See also 
- Garbage Plate, the Rochester, NY area style plate piled with diner type foods
- Horseshoe sandwich, Springfield, IL open-faced sandwich covered with fries and cheese sauce
- Hot hamburger plate, an open-faced sandwich covered with fries and gravy
- Cincinnati chili, a Midwestern-style of chili often served piled high
- Loco Moco, Hawaiian dish with many foods served on rice
- Poutine, a Quebec dish, made with french fries, topped with brown gravy and curd cheese.
- ^ Cheap Eats - - Calendar - St. Louis - Riverfront Times
Fri, 17 May 2013 03:33:31 -0700
SLINGER (WITI) — Several fire crews responded to the scene of a grass fire in Slinger during the overnight hours. According to officials, the grass fire burned a two mile stretch two railroad tracks. Authorities believe the train may have sparked the ...
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Sun, 28 Apr 2013 20:18:27 -0700
For the first time in 40 years Sunday, Slinger Speedway opened under new management, bringing optimism beyond what normally accompanies the start of any season. Yet, one had to be careful. To get too caught up in the newness of it all would seem like ...
Watertown Daily Times
Wed, 15 May 2013 09:52:01 -0700
Freshman Paige Miller gets a lead off third base as coach Patty Jansen watches Watertown sophomore Brenna Seeber at the plate during a Wisconsin Little Ten Conference game Tuesday at Brandt/Quirk Park. Seeber drove in a pair of runs in Watertown's ...
Watertown Daily Times
Tue, 14 May 2013 10:39:49 -0700
Watertown's boys tennis team won three singles matches and two doubles matches for a 5-2 Wisconsin Little Ten Conference victory over Slinger Monday at the Brandt-Quirk tennis courts. Andrew Koepp won in straight sets at No. 1 singles. Jake Wuchterl ...
Tue, 30 Apr 2013 23:21:45 -0700
Beaver Dam's Tyler Livingston, front, reaches for a volley as teammate Sean Ulrikson, back, watches on during their No. 2 doubles match against Slinger. (2) More Photos. Beaver Dam cruised to Tuesday's 6-1 Little Ten boys tennis dual win over Slinger.
Tue, 30 Apr 2013 08:14:38 -0700
Village of Sussex - Village officials are hoping to save about $25,000 a year as a result of a new joint building inspection agreement with thevillages of Richfield and Slinger. Sussex's share of the cost for the agreement will be about $74, 500 ...
The Sheboygan Press
Sun, 28 Apr 2013 02:13:18 -0700
Slinger's girls soccer team scored two late goals and snapped Plymouth's early-season winning streak Saturday. Becca Ebbott connected on a close-range shot in front of the goal midway through the first half to put Plymouth (3-1) ahead early. But ...
Thu, 16 May 2013 05:20:02 -0700
Mimecast, which touts webmail for businesses, has toppled over in Blighty, leaving its customers unable to send or receive emails. Our readers told us the service wasn't delivering mails, and the web portal was inaccessible for users. And peeps on ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about Slinger with people all over the world in our discussions.