A slinger is a Midwestern diner specialty typically consisting of two eggs, hash browns, and a hamburger patty (or any other meat) all covered in chili con carne (with or without beans) and generously topped with cheese (cheddar or American) and onions. The eggs can be any style. Hot sauce is usually served on the side. The slinger is considered to be a St. Louis late-night culinary original. It is described as "a hometown culinary invention: a mishmash of meat, hash-fried potatoes, eggs, and chili, sided with your choice of ham, sausage, bacon, hamburger patties, or an entire T-bone steak.
There are numerous variations of the basic slinger:
- "Top one": has a tamale served on top of the slinger
- "Vegetarian": uses veggie burgers and veggie chili
- "The Toby"/"the Hoosier": slinger that has white gravy instead of chili. (Named after a customer at Tiffany's Original Diner).
- "Yin and yang": slinger covered in half chili and half gravy. A customer favorite at Tiffany's Original Diner, and named by manager Tom Gray. (The yin and yang is both light and dark in color).
- "The Jared": slinger with equal amounts of chili and white
- "The JP slinger": slinger with hamburger patty, extra onions and extra chili
- "Devil's delight": slinger without the hamburgers patties at Courtesy Diner
- "Chicago style": served with white bread toast on the side, burgers are specified as "cheeseburger patties", eggs are specified as over easy, and must contain grilled onions. Served at the Diner Grill 1635 W Irving Park Rd, Chicago, IL 60613  
- St. Louis cuisine
- Garbage Plate, the Rochester, NY area style plate piled with diner type foods
- Horseshoe sandwich, Springfield, IL open-faced sandwich covered with fries and cheese sauce
- Hot hamburger plate, an open-faced sandwich covered with fries and gravy
- Cincinnati chili, a Midwestern-style of chili often served piled high
- Loco Moco, Hawaiian dish with many foods served on rice
- Poutine, a Quebec dish, made with french fries, topped with brown gravy and curd cheese.
- ^ Cheap Eats - - Calendar - St. Louis - Riverfront Times
- ^ "The Legendary Slinger and Dick Burger at Diner Grill". Eater.com. Retrieved 7 April 2015.
- ^ "Chicago's Best Late Night: Diner Grill". Retrieved 7 April 2015.
Balearic slinger at Sa Pobla, Mallorca
This is a slinger from Felanitx in action at Sa Pobla, Mallorca, 28th Feb 2015. The distance is 20 metres, you score one point for a hit on the square and two ...
Heroes of History: Ancient Slingers
Slings were an important part of most ancient armies from the dawn of history until the Middle Ages, and according to some folks on Slinging.org, I was "the ...
How to become a slinger/banksman in construction
http://acoptraining.com Siôn Jones of ACoP Training talks you through how to become a slinger/banksman in the construction industry. ACoP Training is a CPCS ...
INSANE 1200HP BIG BLOCK SINGER SLINGER at MUDFEST!
http://www.triplexmotorsports.com The Singer Slingers Team always manage to put on a show, wherever they go, and Louisiana Mudfest was no different.
How To Make: The Saw Blade Slinger (The Disaster Bat)
The instructional video on the building of the one-handed version of the saw blade slinger from Homemade Weapons Part 4. Only this one's called The Disaster ...
Bastille - Oblivion (Slinger Remix)
One of my favourite Bastille remixes ever! Download the original... http://bit.ly/1vWFcaM Slinger https://soundcloud.com/slinger https://www.facebook.com/slinger ...
Slinger - Caribou Sundays
Slinger's new single 'Caribou Sundays' is available to pre-order now: http://po.st/iCaribouSundaysYT Video created and directed by Edward Tracy Starring: ...
Every 15 Minutes - Slinger High School 2016
Every 15 Minutes is a two-day program focusing on high school juniors and seniors, which challenges them to think about drinking, driving, personal safety, and ...
Flite Test - FT Racer (Slinger) - BUILD
Step by step tutorial showing how to build the FT Racer speed build / scratch build airplane. Free build plans and more information here: ...
Crossin Dixon - Guitar Slinger
Music video by Crossin Dixon performing Guitar Slinger. (C) 2007 Broken Bow Records.
We're sorry, but there's no news about "Slinger" right now.
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.