|• Total||2,200 km2 (800 sq mi)|
|• Official||Hindi, Bagheli, Bhojpuri, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
- 1 History
- 2 Demographics
- 3 Connectivity
- 4 By Road
- 5 Industries
- 6 Mining
- 7 Education
- 8 Tourist places in and around Singrauli
- 9 Shopping Market places
- 10 References
- 11 External links
The area in the eastern part of the state of MADHYA Pradesh and the adjoining southern part of Renukoot district in the state of UP is collectively known as Singrauli. Singrauli is emerging as India’s Energy capital, the place earlier known as Shringavali, named after the sage Shringi, was once upon a time covered with dense and unnavigable forests and inhabited by wild animals. The place was considered so treacherous that it was used by the Kings of Rewa State, who ruled the area till 1947, as an open air prison for detaining errant civilians and officers.
Just two generations ago, small holders were tending their parcels of land here, and the original inhabitants were gathering honey and herbs in the forest. In the late fifties, a large scale dam banked up the water of the River Rihand. The dam known as Govind Vallabh Pant Sagar, was inaugurated by Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru in 1962. Later, rich coal deposits spread over an area of 2200 km² in the state of M.P. (eastern part of Sidhi District) and U.P. (southern part of Sonebhadra District) were discovered close to the artificial lake that could be used to generate electricity.
On 24 May 2008, Madhya Pradesh government has declared Singrauli as its 50th district by separating from Sidhi with 3 tehsils viz. Singrauli, Chitrangi and Deosar.On 1 April 2012 two new tehsils are added viz. Mada and Sarai.
This area has group of Rock cut caves made in 7-8th century A.D. in Mada which is 32 km from waidhan.Mada is situated in Mada tehsil of Singrauli district.Famous caves include Vivah Mada, Ganesh Mada and Shankar mada, Jaljalia and Ravan Mada.These caves are not only a beautiful examples of rock cut caves but it is spendid also from the point of view of iconography.
Besides rock cut caves, Singrauli also has Painted rock shelters. Ranimachi, Dholagiri and Goura pahad lies in Chitrangi tehsil of Singrauli. These painted rock shelters belong to the Mesolithic age of Microlithic implememts culture.These paintings are representative of the early history of Indian art. The paintings are made of red Ochre.
- Singrauli has an average *literacy rate of 62.4%, lesser than the national average of 70.6%: male literacy is 73.8%, and female literacy is 49.9%. In Singrauli, 17.34% of the population is under 6 years of age.(*Literacy rate is the percentage of literates to total population aged 7 years and above).
- Population growth rate of Singrauli in census 1951-1961 was 24.8(being 24th in Madhya Pradesh),in 1961-1971 was 35.9(4th in M.P.),in 1971-1981 was 36.4(3rd in M.P.),in 1981-1991 was 44.9(2nd in M.P.), in 1991-2001 was 38.6(1st in M.P.) in 2001-2011 was 28(4th in M.P.).It is aspected that Singrauli will be 1st in Madhya Pradesh in population growth rate during 2011-2022 because of industrial development.
District Statistics and south Asia's biggest industrial area
The following trains originate/pass through Singrauli area.
- Singrauli- Jabalpur inter-city express via New Katni Jn. (Daily)
- Singrauli- Patna Link Express via Garhwa Road, Gaya (Daily)
- Singrauli- Varanasi Inter-city express via Chopan, Chunar (Daily)
- Singrauli- Bareilly Triveni express Via Allahabad, Lucknow (Tri-weekly)
- Jabalpur - Howrah Shaktipunj express via Singrauli Barkakana Jn. (Daily)
- Ahmadabad - Kolkata express via Ajmer, Ujjain, Bhopal, Singrauli (weekly)
- Ajmer - Kolkata express via Kota, Damoh, Singrauli Barkakana (weekly)
- Howrah - Bhopal express via Barkakana, Singrauli, Damoh (Weekly)
- Kolkata- Ajmer express via Tata Nagar, Barkakana, Singrauli Kota (Weekly)
- Chopan - Katni Bina passenger via Singrauli, Damoh (Daily)
- Katni - Chopan overnight fast passenger via Singrauli (Daily)
- Shaktinagar- Varanasi Link Inter-city express via Anpara, Chopan (Daily)
- Shaktinagar- Bareilly Triveni express via Allahabad, Lucknow (4 Days-week)
- Shaktinagar- Chopan passenger via Anpara, Obra Dam (Daily)
Though this area is full of industries and lot of movement of man and material takes place, the area is not connected properly to major metros of India in terms of rail connectivity. Direct rail connectivity is required for New Delhi, Mumbai, South and the North East regions of India. Rail department is planning to expand their network here. Recently Singrauli station has been sanctioned two additional platforms. Renukoot station now has three platforms. This section will be electrified by the end of 2014.
Singrauli district has bad road connectivity to nearby major cities and towns like Rewa, Satna and Shahdol in MP, Varanasi, Mughal Sarai Mirzapur and Allahabad in UP. Private transport facilities are also available in this area and it is directly connected with Chattishgarh (Ambikapur) by road. Singrauli is approximately 50 km from Renukoot which has train connectivity with Jammu Tawi,Delhi, Amritsar, Jammu Tawi, Ranchi, Tatanagar and Rourkela.
All major companies operating in Singrauli are giants of Indian energy industry. The operations of companies include mining of coal to power generation. In recent past, several private companies have also joined the league of companies operating in Singrauli. It is expected by 2017, that Singrauli would feed around 35,000 MW of electrical power to the grid alone.
Major companies operating or coming up at Singrauli are:
|NAME OF INDUSTRY||TYPE OF INDUSTRY||OPERATOR||ESTABLISHMENT DATE||DISTRICT||STATE||CAPACITY||REMARK|
|Singrauli Super Thermal Power Station (SSTPS)||Thermal Power (electricity)||NTPC||1977||Sonebhadra district||Uttar Pradesh||5 x 200 MW + 2 x 500 MW=2000 MW||With international assistance of IDA & KFW|
|Vindhyachal Thermal Power Station (VTPS)||Thermal Power (electricity)||NTPC||1982||Singrauli District||Madhya Pradesh||1260 MW (6X210 MW) under Stage-I, 1000 MW (2X500 MW) of Stage-II and 1000 MW (2X500 MW) under Stage-III. Total=3260 and 1000MW of Stage-IV is under construction.||With international assistance of USSR-stage I,World bank under time slice loan stage II|
|Rihand Thermal Power Station (RTPS)||Thermal Power (electricity)||NTPC||1977||Sonebhadra district||Uttar Pradesh||1000 MW (2x500 MW each) in Stage-I and 1000 MW (2x500 MW each) in Stage-II Total= 2000MW and 1000MW of stage-III has been commissioned recently.||With international assistance of United Kingdom|
|Northern Coalfields Limited||Coal mining||Coal India Limited||1984||Singrauli District||Madhya Pradesh||coal supplies made it possible to produce about 13295 MW of electricity from pithead power plants of NTPC,UPRVUNL and Renupower division of M/s. Hindalco Industries||Thickest coal seam of India-131 metres (Jhingurda seam)|
|Sasan Ultra Mega Power Project||Thermal Power Plant (electricity)||Reliance Power||2007 (bidding)||Singrauli District||Madhya Pradesh||3,960 MW||under construction|
|Chitrangi Power Project||Thermal Power Plant (electricity)||Reliance Power||2007 (bidding)||Singrauli District||Madhya Pradesh||3,960 MW||under construction(Put on hold due to CAG Report)|
|Muher and Muher Amlori extension||Coal mining||Reliance Power||2007(bidding)||Singrauli District||Madhya Pradesh||coal reserves of these mines are around 720 MT with a production level of 25 mtpa||---|
|Mahan Super Thermal Power Project||Thermal Power plant (electricity)||Essar Group||2007(bidding)||Singrauli District||Madhya Pradesh||2x 600 MW = 1200MW||unit I commissioned, unit II in under construction|
|Mahan Captive Thermal Power Plant||Thermal Power plant(electricity)||Hindalco Industries||2007(bidding)||Singrauli District||Madhya Pradesh||900-MW 150x6||---|
|Mahan coal Limited||Coal mining||joint venture of Essar and Hindalco||2007(bidding)||Singrauli District||Madhya Pradesh||-||Essar will take 60% of the coal output and Hindalco will take the remaining 40%|
|Mahan Aluminium Limited||Aluminium smelter plant||Hindalco Industries||2007(bidding)||Singrauli District||Madhya Pradesh||359-ktpa aluminum smelter||---|
|Jaypee Nigrie Super Thermal Power Project||Thermal Power plant (electricity)||Jaypee Group||2007(bidding)||Singrauli District||Madhya Pradesh||2 x 660 MW= 1320 MW||---|
|M.P. Jaypee Minerals||Coal mining||joint venture of M.P. govt. and Jaypee Group||2007(bidding)||Singrauli District||Madhya Pradesh||2 million tonnes||---|
|DB Power M.P.Limited||Thermal Power plant (electricity)||Dainik Bhaskar||---||Singrauli District||Madhya Pradesh||1320 MW||underconstruction|
|VindhyaChal Pooling sub-station||Power transmission||Powergrid||---||Singrauli District||Madhya Pradesh||from SasanUMPP(2 No 765 KV S/C Sasan - Satna Transmission lines) and Vindhyachal Stage-IV (400 KV D/C (Quad)Vindhyachal - Vindhyachal Pooling line), 2 No 765 KV S/C from Vindhyachal Pooling to Satna Sub-Station, a 765/400 KV Pooling Sub-Station near Vindhyachal Stage-IV (1000 MW), Rihand Stage-III (1000 MW) as well as Aryan Coal Benefication Pvt Ltd (1200MW)Generation Projects||---|
|Amelia coal block||Coal mining||Joint Venture Company of Sainik mines and M.P.State Mining Corporation Ltd.||---||Singrauli District||Madhya Pradesh||-----||---|
- A Power plant is going to be set at Koyalkhooth & Baheri by L&T Power
- BEML LIMITED (Under Ministry of Defence) Manufacture of HEMM
- VOLTAS LIMITED (A TATA Enterprise) Manufacture of HEMM.
- Reliance infrastructure Ltd.
- Mercedes Benz (for minning)
- Soumya minning Pvt. Ltd.
- Acompworld Technosoft Pvt. Ltd. (IT Solutions)
Rail department is planning to expand their network here. Recently Singrauli station has been allotted an extra platform. Renukoot Station is subjected to survey for an additional platform.
Northern Coalfields Limited, the PSU coal major and the highest profit making subsidiary of Coal giant “Coal India Ltd” is the only coal feeder to these power, chemical and cement plants located within the vicinity of Singrauli Industrial Zone. With many billion tonnes of coal being mined for the last 35-40 yrs, it still sits on a geographical reserve of more raw material area. However, there is concern over possible deforestation, and environmental loss from mineral development. BEML LIMITED (Under Ministry of Defince) Manufacture of HEMM in Deosar Khadaura village will be started in nearby approx. two years 1.Makrohar stone mining plant.distance form district headquarter 25 km.
Singrauli is fast emerging as a major educational hub in eastern Madhya Pradesh. Major Schools in and around Singrauli:
- DAV Public School (Nigahi, Amlori, Anpara, CWS, Dudhichua, Khadia, Kakri, Bina, Jhingurdah, Waidhan, Surya vihar)
- Delhi Public School Nigahi
- Delhi Public School Vindhyanagar
- St. Joseph's School (Shaktinagar, Waidhan)
- De Paul (Vindhyanagar)
- Christ Jyoti School (Jayant, Singrauli)
- St. Francis Rihand (Anpara)
- Aditya Birla Public school (Renukut, Renusagar)
- Kendriya Vidyalaya (Singrauli, Jayant, Shaktinagar)
- Saraswati Shishu Mandir (Amlori, Jayant, Singrauli, Jhingurdah, Dudhichua Sector A, Vindhya nagar, Waidhan, Belauji)
- Vivekanand vidhyalaya (Nigahi, Shaktinagar)
- Rest are state govt. School
- saraswati shishu mardir jayant,vindhyanagar, singrauli, baidhan, deosar
- st. marry school, deosar
- shastri ji eng. midium school (khadaura, deosar)
- govt. excellence school (deosar)
- govt. high school khadaura (deosar, singrauli)
- 7 Government degree colleges including 2 women colleges
- Govt. Polytechnic collegeWaidhan
- I.T.I.Deosar *
- Awadhoot Singh Sawak Ram Degree College Banauli, Distt-Singauli (M.P.)
Govt. degree collage waidhan
- Govt. degree college (deosar)
- Mayaram mahavidhyalaya, Singrauli
- Singrauli Institute of Technical education (SITE) Singrauli
- Sai mahavidhyalaya Vindhyanagar
- Amrit Vidhyapith Vindhyanagar
- Rajiv Gandhi college Waidhan
- Sainath Nursing College
- govt college chitrangi *govt excellence h.s.s. chitrangi *sarsvati h.s.s. chitrangi
- adras adivasi h.s.s. citrangi
'Performing and Learning art schools'
- Sanskriti the Indian classical and contemporary Dance school(Khadia)
- Sri Lalji Mhasangit Vidyalay(Jayant)
Both are affiliated by Prayag Sangit Samithi,Allahabad
Tourist places in and around Singrauli
- Rock cut caves (Mada)
- Painted rock shelters (Ranimachi, Dholagiri and Goura pahad in Gadwani Chitrangi)
- Rihand dam
- Obra dam
- Kaachan dam
- Badwani dam
- Tippa Jharia dam
- Madi bandha
Sarai jhar fals
- Makrohar talab
- makrohar jhariya
Rivers and Water falls
- Son River
- Rend (Rihand) river
- Gopad river
- Mahaan river
- Kachani river
- Jhinga jharia and Gohwaiya river
- Mayaar river
- Rakashganda fall
- Khraura river (Baijnath ghat)
- Neelkanth river and fall
- Kudargarh fall
- Kotari river(Khadaura)
Famous Temples,mosque and religious places
Ahele sunnat wal jamat masjid bargwan Radhakrishna temple (Renukut) Birla temple (Renukut Sharda devi (Maihar)) Jwalamukhi temple (Shaktinagar) Hanuman temple (Audimod/Jhingurdah) Hanuman temple (Mada) Shemara baba temple (Vindhyanagar) Neelkanth temple (Dhari/mada) Kudargarh temple(Chhatisgarh) Durghatta (Bargwan) Vaishnav devi temple (Dala[disambiguation needed]) Mahalaxmi Banyan tree temple (khraura, Deosar) Shiv temple/Khode baba mandir (Kasar, near Gorbi) shree ganesh temple (khadaura, deosar) Kundwashni devi ( Kudari-Lamshari, Chitrangi) Jama Masjid,Waidhan Gaushul Wara Jama Masjid singrauli (morwa) Bagdadi masjid jayant singrauli.
Shopping Market places
- Upcoming Project & Land Acquisition Singrauli
- Official Website of the District
- Singrauli Portal
- Singrauli Forum