|Shire of Talbot and Clunes
Location in Victoria
|Area||541.31 km² (209.0 sq mi)|
The Shire of Talbot and Clunes was a local government area about 160 kilometres (99 mi) northwest of Melbourne, the state capital of Victoria, Australia. The shire covered an area of 541.31 square kilometres (209.0 sq mi), and existed from 1860 until 1994.
What became the Shire of Talbot and Clunes had its origins in several different local authorities during the 1850s gold rush:
- The Borough of Talbot was incorporated on 22 October 1858 with an area of 22.57 km2 (8.71 sq mi) surrounding the town of Talbot.
- The Borough of Clunes was incorporated on 19 October 1860 with an area of 23.31 km2 (9.00 sq mi) surrounding the town of Clunes.
- The Shire of Talbot was incorporated on 16 November 1860 as a district, becoming a shire on 31 October 1865.
After the passage of the Local Government Amendment Act 1914, it was found that Talbot did not meet the criteria of a borough as its rateable income was below £300 per annum, so it was amalgamated on 1 October 1915 with the shire.
On 31 May 1965, an Order in Council united the Borough of Clunes with the Shire of Talbot to create the new Shire.
Talbot and Clunes was divided into four ridings, each of which elected three councillors:
- Clunes North Riding
- Clunes South Riding
- East Riding
- Talbot Riding
Towns and localities 
* Estimate in 1958 Victorian Year Book.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics, Victoria Office (1994). Victorian Year Book. pp. 49–52. ISSN 0067-1223.
- Victorian Municipal Directory. Brunswick: Arnall & Jackson. 1992. pp. 850–851. Accessed at State Library of Victoria, La Trobe Reading Room.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (1 August 1995). Victorian local government amalgamations 1994-1995: Changes to the Australian Standard Geographical Classification. Commonwealth of Australia. p. 5,7. ISBN 0-642-23117-6. Retrieved 2008-01-05.
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.