Sheldon Harnick (born April 30, 1924) is an American lyricist best known for his collaborations with composer Jerry Bock on hit musicals such as Fiddler on the Roof.
Harnick began his career writing words and music to comic songs in musical revues. One of these, "The Merry Minuet", was popularized by the Kingston Trio. It is in the caustic style usually associated with Tom Lehrer and is sometimes incorrectly attributed to him.
Harnick began writing music while still in Carl Schurz High School in Chicago, IL. After his Army service, he graduated from the Northwestern University School of Music (1946-1949) with a Bachelor of Music Degree, and worked with various orchestras in the Chicago area. He then moved to New York City and wrote for many musicals and revues. He was friends with Charlotte Rae from college, and he went to see her one night at the Village Vanguard where she was singing a revue. Yip Harburg, who was one of Harnick's idols, heard she was singing a song of his and decided to come. He told Harnick that he enjoyed his writing, and urged him to continue. He advised Harnick to work with a large number of composers. He also counseled him to write character and comic songs, not ballads, for Broadway. Harnick followed both tips. Harburg gave him that advice because his old partner, Jay Gorney, had told them ballads were the key to success on Broadway.
Around 1956, Harnick met Jerry Bock, forming "what is arguably the most important musical partnership of the '60s."  Their first musical was The Body Beautiful, running for only 60 performances in 1958, but Fiorello! (1959) ran for 795 performances and won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama. Fiddler on the Roof (1964) "became one of the most cherished of all Broadway musicals."
Harnick wrote the libretto for the opera Coyote Tales, with music by Henry Mollicone, which received its world premiere at the Lyric Opera of Kansas City in March 1998. He wrote the book, music and lyrics to the musical Dragons, which was performed in 2003 at the Luna Stage (Montclair, New Jersey). He wrote the lyrics and co-wrote the book with Norton Juster for the musical The Phantom Tollbooth, based on the book by Juster. The musical premiered at the The Kennedy Center in 2007.
Honors and awards
- In 1960, Harnick, Bock and Jerome Weidman (book) won the Pulitzer Prize in Drama for Fiorello!.
- Sheldon Harnick has won three Tony Awards. In 1960, he, Bock and Weidman tied with Rodgers and Hammerstein for best musical; that year, both Fiorello! and The Sound of Music won. And in 1965, Bock and Harnick's Fiddler on the Roof won for both Best Musical and Best Composer and Lyricist.
- In honor of Harnick's vast influence on American music, on May 19, 1984 he was awarded the University of Pennsylvania Glee Club Award of Merit. Beginning in 1964, this award "established to bring a declaration of appreciation to an individual each year that has made a significant contribution to the world of music and helped to create a climate in which our talents may find valid expression."
- Sheldon Harnick was honored at the Twenty-Sixth Annual William Inge Theatre Festival located in Independence, Kansas, in 2007.
- Sheldon Harnick and Jerry Bock were presented with the 18th Annual York Theatre Company's prestigious Oscar Hammerstein Award for Lifetime Achievement in Theatre in 2009.
- ^ Gilliland, John (1969). "Show 19 - Blowin' in the Wind: Pop discovers folk music. [Part 2] : UNT Digital Library" (audio). Pop Chronicles. Digital.library.unt.edu. Retrieved 2011-04-29.
- ^ "Biography of Sheldon Harnick". MTI Shows. Retrieved March 2, 2012.
- ^ http://www.playbill.com/features/article/183726-Sheldon-Harnick-Approaching-90-Fiddler-Lyricist-Recalls-a-Mentor/pg2?tsrc=nx
- ^ a b "Jerry Bock and Sheldon Harnick". Broadway:The American Musical. PBS.org. Retrieved March 2, 2012.
- ^ "'Coyote Tales' listing" henrymollicone.com, accessed March 4, 2012
- ^ Jones, Kenneth."Sheldon Harnick's Musical, 'Dragons', Roars in NJ Starting Nov. 13; Harnick in the House for Opening" playbill.com, November 13, 2003
- ^ "'The Phantom Tollbooth' listing" kennedy-center.org, accessed March 4, 2012
- ^ "The Pulitzer Prize, Drama". Pulitzer.org. Retrieved March 2, 2012.
- ^ "Sheldon Harnick". Internet Broadway Database. Retrieved March 2, 2012.
- ^ "The University of Pennsylvania Glee Club Award of Merit Recipients". Archived from the original on 2012-02-09.
- ^ "The William Inge Theatre Festival". Retrieved March 2, 2012.
- ^ Hetrick, Adam (November 23, 2009). "Bock and Harnick Receive Hammerstein Award Nov. 23; Cook, Kuhn, Kudisch and More Will Sing". Playbill. Retrieved March 2, 2012.
Dave's Gone By Interview (1/27/08): SHELDON HARNICK
Topics: Broadway, Fiddler on the Roof, She Loves Me, Fiorello, The Rothschilds, The Apple Tree Segment originally aired in two parts -- Jan. 27, 2008 & Feb. ...
Sheldon Harnick on the origin of "If I Were A Rich Man" - FHM To Life 2013
In an on-stage discussion with Jeffrey Lyons during the Florida Holocaust Museum's 2013 To Life event, famed songwriter and lyricist, Sheldon Harnick, discus...
The Carol Burnett Show - Tribute to Sheldon Harnick and Jerry Bock
Here's a musical ode to composers Sheldon Harnick and Jerry Bock, with guest stars Roddy McDowall and Bernadette Peters. Enjoy! I do not own any of the foota...
Theater Talk: Legendary Lyricist Sheldon Harnick
Lyricist Sheldon Harnick recounts experiences from his 50-year career in the theater, including his partnership with the late composer Jerry Bock, which resu...
If I were a Rich Man by Sheldon Harnick LIVE
Sheldon Harnick, the lyricist behind the Broadway hit, "Fiddler on the Roof", performs "If I were a Rich Man" at the annual Golden Gala at the Arena Stage in...
WALTER WILLISON "ARTIFICIAL FLOWERS" by Jerry Bock & Sheldon Harnick
Posted for Sheldon Harnick on the occasion of his 90th Birthday. This performance of "Artificial Flowers", written by Sheldon and composer Jerry Bock for the...
Sheldon Harnick 90th Birthday Greeting!
An impromptu birthday greeting to the great Sheldon Harnick, Broadway Writer, Lyricist and Composer Extraordinaire (Fiddler on the Roof, She Loves Me, Fiorel...
The Phantom Tollbooth Musical Authors Sheldon Harnick and Norton Juster
The Phantom Tollbooth, the beloved children's book written by Norton Juster in 1961 has become one of the most treasured books in youth literature, educating...
Jerry Bock and Sheldon Harnick with David Zippel
Produced by the Dramatists Guild Fund, the Legacy Project is a series of interviews featuring prominent contemporary American playwrights, lyricists and comp...
Sunrise / Sunset
"Sunrise/Sunset" "Fiddler On The Roof" Music : Jerry Bock Lyrics : Sheldon Harnick Conduction : John Williams Starring : Chaim Topol Norma Crane Leonard Frey...
Thu, 11 Sep 2014 17:43:33 -0700
Sheldon Harnick has enjoyed a career so stellar as to elicit envy among the multitude of Broadway lyricists who have tried to follow his path. The brilliant, Pulitzer Prize-winning dramatist (Fiorello!), and Tony and Grammy winning composer (Fiddler on ...
Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:56:15 -0700
September 22, 2014 marks the 50th anniversary of the beloved Broadway musical Fiddler On The Roof - music and lyrics by Jerry Bock and Sheldon Harnick, book by Joseph Stein, produced by Harold Prince and directed and choreographed by Jerome ...
Riverfront Times (blog)
Wed, 17 Sep 2014 05:00:00 -0700
Nowhere is this more apparent than in numbers such as "To Life," where Jerry Bock's music and Sheldon Harnick's lyrics are woven seamlessly with Jerome Robbins' mind-bendingly intricate choreography (here reproduced by Gary John LaRosa). As Tevye ...
Delco News Network
Mon, 15 Sep 2014 12:41:15 -0700
“Fiddler on the Roof” first debuted in 1964. The musical, with music by Jerry Bock, lyrics by Sheldon Harnick and book by Joseph Stein, is based on tales by Sholem Aleichem. Set in the small Jewish town of Anatevka in 1905 Imperial Russia, the show ...
San Diego Jewish World
San Diego Jewish World
Tue, 16 Sep 2014 13:26:15 -0700
Providing further insight and nuance, the Center for Jewish Culture is presenting Sheldon Harnick: A Conversation & Celebration at the JCC on Sept. 21st at 6:30 pm. Harnick, prolific Broadway lyricist, and writer of the Fiddler on the Roof lyrical book ...
Tue, 16 Sep 2014 13:48:45 -0700
In 2012, he premiered Humbug!, his new one-actor musical version of Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol. Alan plays all 27 characters in the show, which features 12 original songs by Sheldon Harnick (Fiddler on the Roof) and Michel Legrand (Summer of ...
North Bay Bohemian
Petaluma Argus Courier
Thu, 11 Sep 2014 15:30:00 -0700
I so enjoyed the charming “Matchmaker, Matchmaker” trio sung by Tevye's three oldest daughters (Jennifer Mitchell [Tzeitel], Molly Mahoney [Hodel] and Erin Ashe [Chava]) that I wished composer and lyricist Jerry Bock and Sheldon Harnick had included ...
Sun, 14 Sep 2014 03:12:51 -0700
Fiddler on the Roof, their current production (book by Joseph Stein, lyrics by Sheldon Harnick and music by Jerry Beck), is another terrific example of their expertise in these endeavors. Lovingly crafted and performed with equal parts gusto and ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about Sheldon Harnick with people all over the world in our discussions.