Sheldon Harnick (born April 30, 1924) is an American lyricist best known for his collaborations with composer Jerry Bock on hit musicals such as Fiddler on the Roof.
Harnick began his career writing words and music to comic songs in musical revues. One of these, "The Merry Minuet", was popularized by the Kingston Trio. It is in the caustic style usually associated with Tom Lehrer and is sometimes incorrectly attributed to him.
Harnick began writing music while still in Carl Schurz High School in Chicago, IL. After his Army service, he graduated from the Northwestern University School of Music (1946-1949) with a Bachelor of Music Degree, and worked with various orchestras in the Chicago area. He then moved to New York City and wrote for many musicals and revues. He was friends with Charlotte Rae from college, and he went to see her one night at the Village Vanguard where she was singing a revue. Yip Harburg, who was one of Harnick's idols, heard she was singing a song of his and decided to come. He told Harnick that he enjoyed his writing, and urged him to continue. He advised Harnick to work with a large number of composers. He also counseled him to write character and comic songs, not ballads, for Broadway. Harnick followed both tips. Harburg gave him that advice because his old partner, Jay Gorney, had told them ballads were the key to success on Broadway.
Around 1956, Harnick met Jerry Bock, forming "what is arguably the most important musical partnership of the '60s."  Their first musical was The Body Beautiful, running for only 60 performances in 1958, but Fiorello! (1959) ran for 795 performances and won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama. Fiddler on the Roof (1964) "became one of the most cherished of all Broadway musicals."
Harnick wrote the libretto for the opera Coyote Tales, with music by Henry Mollicone, which received its world premiere at the Lyric Opera of Kansas City in March 1998. He wrote the book, music and lyrics to the musical Dragons, which was performed in 2003 at the Luna Stage (Montclair, New Jersey). He wrote the lyrics and co-wrote the book with Norton Juster for the musical The Phantom Tollbooth, based on the book by Juster. The musical premiered at the The Kennedy Center in 2007.
Honors and awards
- In 1960, Harnick, Bock and Jerome Weidman (book) won the Pulitzer Prize in Drama for Fiorello!.
- Sheldon Harnick has won three Tony Awards. In 1960, he, Bock and Weidman tied with Rodgers and Hammerstein for best musical; that year, both Fiorello! and The Sound of Music won. And in 1965, Bock and Harnick's Fiddler on the Roof won for both Best Musical and Best Composer and Lyricist.
- In honor of Harnick's vast influence on American music, on May 19, 1984 he was awarded the University of Pennsylvania Glee Club Award of Merit. Beginning in 1964, this award "established to bring a declaration of appreciation to an individual each year that has made a significant contribution to the world of music and helped to create a climate in which our talents may find valid expression."
- Sheldon Harnick was honored at the Twenty-Sixth Annual William Inge Theatre Festival located in Independence, Kansas, in 2007.
- Sheldon Harnick and Jerry Bock were presented with the 18th Annual York Theatre Company's prestigious Oscar Hammerstein Award for Lifetime Achievement in Theatre in 2009.
- ^ Gilliland, John (1969). "Show 19 - Blowin' in the Wind: Pop discovers folk music. [Part 2] : UNT Digital Library" (audio). Pop Chronicles. Digital.library.unt.edu. Retrieved 2011-04-29.
- ^ "Biography of Sheldon Harnick". MTI Shows. Retrieved March 2, 2012.
- ^ http://www.playbill.com/features/article/183726-Sheldon-Harnick-Approaching-90-Fiddler-Lyricist-Recalls-a-Mentor/pg2?tsrc=nx
- ^ a b "Jerry Bock and Sheldon Harnick". Broadway:The American Musical. PBS.org. Retrieved March 2, 2012.
- ^ "'Coyote Tales' listing" henrymollicone.com, accessed March 4, 2012
- ^ Jones, Kenneth."Sheldon Harnick's Musical, 'Dragons', Roars in NJ Starting Nov. 13; Harnick in the House for Opening" playbill.com, November 13, 2003
- ^ "'The Phantom Tollbooth' listing" kennedy-center.org, accessed March 4, 2012
- ^ "The Pulitzer Prize, Drama". Pulitzer.org. Retrieved March 2, 2012.
- ^ "Sheldon Harnick". Internet Broadway Database. Retrieved March 2, 2012.
- ^ "The University of Pennsylvania Glee Club Award of Merit Recipients". Archived from the original on 2012-02-09.
- ^ "The William Inge Theatre Festival". Retrieved March 2, 2012.
- ^ Hetrick, Adam (November 23, 2009). "Bock and Harnick Receive Hammerstein Award Nov. 23; Cook, Kuhn, Kudisch and More Will Sing". Playbill. Retrieved March 2, 2012.
Theater Talk: Legendary Lyricist Sheldon Harnick
Lyricist Sheldon Harnick recounts experiences from his 50-year career in the theater, including his partnership with the late composer Jerry Bock, which resu...
Sheldon Harnick on the origin of "If I Were A Rich Man" - FHM To Life 2013
In an on-stage discussion with Jeffrey Lyons during the Florida Holocaust Museum's 2013 To Life event, famed songwriter and lyricist, Sheldon Harnick, discus...
If I were a Rich Man by Sheldon Harnick LIVE
Sheldon Harnick, the lyricist behind the Broadway hit, "Fiddler on the Roof", performs "If I were a Rich Man" at the annual Golden Gala at the Arena Stage in...
The Carol Burnett Show - Tribute to Sheldon Harnick and Jerry Bock
Here's a musical ode to composers Sheldon Harnick and Jerry Bock, with guest stars Roddy McDowall and Bernadette Peters. Enjoy! I do not own any of the foota...
She Loves Me - Jerry Bock and Sheldon Harnick
"She Loves Me" from "She Loves Me." Music by Jerry Bock, lyrics by Sheldon Harnick. Neal Capapas, voice. Aaron Kaplan, cello. Andrei Strizek, piano. www.andr...
Sheldon Harnick on L'Chayim
Legendary Broadway lyricist Sheldon Harnick sits to discuss creating one of his favorite musicals and greatest masterpieces, "Fiddler on the Roof". With Mark...
Lauren Worsham - "Will He Like Me?" (Jerry Bock/Sheldon Harnick)
MICHAEL ZAHLER - SONGS BARBARA TAUGHT US A Contemporary Musical Journey Inspired by the Great Barbara Cook February 20, 2015 - 54 Below BAND: Will Van Dyke (music director/piano), ...
Alex Koshy - 'If I Were A Rich Man' by Sheldon Harnick and Jerry Bock
Fourteen year old Alex Koshy from Bangalore, India sings this famous song from the 1964 musical 'Fiddler on The Roof'. Alex studies voice with Sandra Oberoi ...
Sheldon Harnick 90th Birthday Greeting!
An impromptu birthday greeting to the great Sheldon Harnick, Broadway Writer, Lyricist and Composer Extraordinaire (Fiddler on the Roof, She Loves Me, Fiorel...
Arts in the City: Fiddler at 50: A Conversation with Sheldon Harnick and Hal Prince
Pat Collins hosts this special edition of Arts in the City celebrating the 50th anniversary of Fiddler on the Roof. Featuring candid conversations with origi...
Sun, 08 Feb 2015 21:06:35 -0800
Sheldon Harnick, Zak Resnick, Ben Fankhauser, Ryann Redmond and More Celebrate Short-Lived Musicals Tonight. By Michael Gioia 09 Feb 2015. Sheldon Harnick. Photo by Joseph Marzullo/WENN. The 14th edition of the Bistro Award-winning series If It ...
Fri, 30 Jan 2015 05:18:45 -0800
(Englewood, New Jersey- January 29, 2015) Recently, lyricist Sheldon Harnick, visited Elisabeth Morrow School to host an exclusive master class with theater students. With a career spanning over 50 years, Harnick is responsible for some of the greatest ...
Thu, 29 Jan 2015 08:41:15 -0800
Recently, lyricist Sheldon Harnick, visited Elisabeth Morrow School to host an exclusive master class with theater students. With a career spanning over 50 years, Harnick is responsible for some of the greatest and well-known compositions in musical ...
Thu, 26 Feb 2015 02:41:15 -0800
In 1966, Mark Twain's “The Diary of Adam and Eve” was used as one third of the triptych musical “The Apple Tree,” by Sheldon Harnick and Jerry Bock, except, of course, the two characters (played by Barbara Harris and Alan Alda) were the first people on ...
Mid Columbia Tri City Herald
Mid Columbia Tri City Herald
Tue, 24 Feb 2015 10:11:15 -0800
Fiddler on the Roof was written as a musical in 1964, with music by Jerry Bock and lyrics by Sheldon Harnick. It is based on Tevye and his Daughters by Sholem Alecheim. Sheila Gephart is musical director for the Christ the King production, working ...
Sun, 06 Jul 2014 02:11:15 -0700
Sheldon Harnick has been a working lyricist for over 60 years. He shared a Pulitzer Prize for his work on the musical Fiorello! and a Tony Award for Fiddler On The Roof. But he says a career in the theater means writing some songs that, for whatever ...
Wed, 30 Apr 2014 11:22:30 -0700
This year marks the 50th anniversary of Fiddler on the Roof's Broadway premiere. Lyricist Sheldon Harnick co-wrote the songs for Fiddler, as well as Fiorello!, She Loves Me and Tenderloin. Just in time for his 90th birthday, Harnick has released a new ...
Mon, 23 Feb 2015 13:59:12 -0800
The talented cast also performs 14 diverse musical numbers by Broadway's finest composers and lyricists such as Marvin Hamlisch, Sheldon Harnick (who wrote the music for "Fiddler On The Roof") and Michael Feinstein. Jewish celebrities featured in song ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.