Sheldon Harnick (born April 30, 1924) is an American lyricist best known for his collaborations with composer Jerry Bock on hit musicals such as Fiddler on the Roof.
Harnick began his career writing words and music to comic songs in musical revues. One of these, "The Merry Minuet", was popularized by the Kingston Trio. It is in the caustic style usually associated with Tom Lehrer and is sometimes incorrectly attributed to him.
Harnick began writing music while still in Carl Schurz High School in Chicago, IL. After his Army service, he graduated from the Northwestern University School of Music (1946-1949) with a Bachelor of Music Degree, and worked with various orchestras in the Chicago area. He then moved to New York City and wrote for many musicals and revues. He was friends with Charlotte Rae from college, and he went to see her one night at the Village Vanguard where she was singing a revue. Yip Harburg, who was one of Harnick's idols, heard she was singing a song of his and decided to come. He told Harnick that he enjoyed his writing, and urged him to continue. He advised Harnick to work with a large number of composers. He also counseled him to write character and comic songs, not ballads, for Broadway. Harnick followed both tips. Harburg gave him that advice because his old partner, Jay Gorney, had told them ballads were the key to success on Broadway.
Around 1956, Harnick met Jerry Bock, forming "what is arguably the most important musical partnership of the '60s."  Their first musical was The Body Beautiful, running for only 60 performances in 1958, but Fiorello! (1959) ran for 795 performances and won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama. Fiddler on the Roof (1964) "became one of the most cherished of all Broadway musicals."
Harnick wrote the libretto for the opera Coyote Tales, with music by Henry Mollicone, which received its world premiere at the Lyric Opera of Kansas City in March 1998. He wrote the book, music and lyrics to the musical Dragons, which was performed in 2003 at the Luna Stage (Montclair, New Jersey). He wrote the lyrics and co-wrote the book with Norton Juster for the musical The Phantom Tollbooth, based on the book by Juster. The musical premiered at the The Kennedy Center in 2007.
Honors and awards
- In 1960, Harnick, Bock and Jerome Weidman (book) won the Pulitzer Prize in Drama for Fiorello!.
- Sheldon Harnick has won three Tony Awards. In 1960, he, Bock and Weidman tied with Rodgers and Hammerstein for best musical; that year, both Fiorello! and The Sound of Music won. And in 1965, Bock and Harnick's Fiddler on the Roof won for both Best Musical and Best Composer and Lyricist.
- In honor of Harnick's vast influence on American music, on May 19, 1984 he was awarded the University of Pennsylvania Glee Club Award of Merit. Beginning in 1964, this award "established to bring a declaration of appreciation to an individual each year that has made a significant contribution to the world of music and helped to create a climate in which our talents may find valid expression."
- Sheldon Harnick was honored at the Twenty-Sixth Annual William Inge Theatre Festival located in Independence, Kansas, in 2007.
- Sheldon Harnick and Jerry Bock were presented with the 18th Annual York Theatre Company's prestigious Oscar Hammerstein Award for Lifetime Achievement in Theatre in 2009.
- ^ Gilliland, John (1969). "Show 19 - Blowin' in the Wind: Pop discovers folk music. [Part 2] : UNT Digital Library" (audio). Pop Chronicles. Digital.library.unt.edu. Retrieved 2011-04-29.
- ^ "Biography of Sheldon Harnick". MTI Shows. Retrieved March 2, 2012.
- ^ http://www.playbill.com/features/article/183726-Sheldon-Harnick-Approaching-90-Fiddler-Lyricist-Recalls-a-Mentor/pg2?tsrc=nx
- ^ a b "Jerry Bock and Sheldon Harnick". Broadway:The American Musical. PBS.org. Retrieved March 2, 2012.
- ^ "'Coyote Tales' listing" henrymollicone.com, accessed March 4, 2012
- ^ Jones, Kenneth."Sheldon Harnick's Musical, 'Dragons', Roars in NJ Starting Nov. 13; Harnick in the House for Opening" playbill.com, November 13, 2003
- ^ "'The Phantom Tollbooth' listing" kennedy-center.org, accessed March 4, 2012
- ^ "The Pulitzer Prize, Drama". Pulitzer.org. Retrieved March 2, 2012.
- ^ "Sheldon Harnick". Internet Broadway Database. Retrieved March 2, 2012.
- ^ "The University of Pennsylvania Glee Club Award of Merit Recipients". Archived from the original on 2012-02-09.
- ^ "The William Inge Theatre Festival". Retrieved March 2, 2012.
- ^ Hetrick, Adam (November 23, 2009). "Bock and Harnick Receive Hammerstein Award Nov. 23; Cook, Kuhn, Kudisch and More Will Sing". Playbill. Retrieved March 2, 2012.
Theater Talk: Legendary Lyricist Sheldon Harnick
Lyricist Sheldon Harnick recounts experiences from his 50-year career in the theater, including his partnership with the late composer Jerry Bock, which resu...
The Carol Burnett Show - Tribute to Sheldon Harnick and Jerry Bock
Here's a musical ode to composers Sheldon Harnick and Jerry Bock, with guest stars Roddy McDowall and Bernadette Peters. Enjoy! I do not own any of the foota...
Sheldon Harnick on the origin of "If I Were A Rich Man" - FHM To Life 2013
In an on-stage discussion with Jeffrey Lyons during the Florida Holocaust Museum's 2013 To Life event, famed songwriter and lyricist, Sheldon Harnick, discus...
If I were a Rich Man by Sheldon Harnick LIVE
Sheldon Harnick, the lyricist behind the Broadway hit, "Fiddler on the Roof", performs "If I were a Rich Man" at the annual Golden Gala at the Arena Stage in...
Alex Koshy - 'If I Were A Rich Man' by Sheldon Harnick and Jerry Bock
Fourteen year old Alex Koshy from Bangalore, India sings this famous song from the 1964 musical 'Fiddler on The Roof'. Alex studies voice with Sandra Oberoi ...
Jerry Bock and Sheldon Harnick with David Zippel
Produced by the Dramatists Guild Fund, the Legacy Project is a series of interviews featuring prominent contemporary American playwrights, lyricists and comp...
WALTER WILLISON "ARTIFICIAL FLOWERS" by Jerry Bock & Sheldon Harnick
Posted for Sheldon Harnick on the occasion of his 90th Birthday. This performance of "Artificial Flowers", written by Sheldon and composer Jerry Bock for the...
The Phantom Tollbooth Musical Authors Sheldon Harnick and Norton Juster
The Phantom Tollbooth, the beloved children's book written by Norton Juster in 1961 has become one of the most treasured books in youth literature, educating...
Sheldon Harnick Conversation
See snippets of the Sheldon Harnick Conversation at The York Theatre Company. February 10th, 2014.
Sheldon Harnick's Tenderloin
Use Code VIDEO35 for $35.00 Tickets. Come see The York Theatre Company's final Mufti of the Sheldon Harnick Series, Tenderloin. Music by Jerry Bock, Lyrics b...
Tue, 14 Oct 2014 13:26:15 -0700
As part of the opening night celebration for Fiddler on the Roof, the iconic musical that has captured the hearts of audiences worldwide for the past 50 years, Arena Stage at the Mead Center for American Theater will present the American Artist Award ...
Fri, 24 Oct 2014 07:12:28 -0700
NEW YORK — The sky over Central Park brightens Sheldon Harnick's living room, a spacious haven more than a dozen floors above Manhattan's streets. Misty, colorful paintings by Harnick's wife, Margery Gray Harnick, line the white walls. On the baby ...
Thu, 02 Oct 2014 07:03:32 -0700
Sheldon Harnick was in the studio with Peter LeDonne sharing many interesting stories about Fiddler On The Roof in this 50th anniversary year of the musical. Nightlife correspondent Jamie deRoy was also on had to give the listeners a heads up on all ...
U-T San Diego
U-T San Diego
Fri, 10 Oct 2014 09:41:15 -0700
Multi-award-winning lyricist Sheldon Harnick has been writing songs for more than 70 of his 90 years — and he's still going strong. Harnick was at North Coast Repertory Theatre Sept. 22-23 for a two- night staged reading of “Rothschild & Sons,” a ...
Thu, 30 Oct 2014 21:11:06 -0700
Helmed by Arena Stage artistic director Molly Smith, the musical, which features a book by Joseph Stein, music by Jerry Bock and lyrics by Sheldon Harnick and is based on Sholem Aleichem stories, will officially open Nov. 12 in Washington, DC.
New York Theatre Guide
New York Theatre Guide
Thu, 30 Oct 2014 03:30:00 -0700
Fiddler on the Roof first premiered in 1964, garnering ten Tony nominations and winning nine, including Best Musical, Director and Choreography (Jerome Robbins), Book (Joseph Stein), Composer and Lyricist (Jerry Bock and Sheldon Harnick). The musical ...
Thu, 30 Oct 2014 04:26:34 -0700
“Fiddler on the Roof ,” the 50th anniversary of the Broadway musical based on the book by Joseph Stein , music by Jerry Bock, lyrics by Sheldon Harnick, based on stories by Sholom Aleichem, an in-the-round production directed by Molly Smith, the story ...
Thu, 30 Oct 2014 11:45:00 -0700
Sheldon Harnick used to write on his shaving mirror, "people beat scenery." I think people beat style too. If you're engaging people in characters and in their stories and they care about those people, they'll sit and listen as long as you can maintain ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.