A shaft tomb or shaft grave is a type of deep rectangular burial structure, similar in shape to the much shallower cist grave, containing a floor of pebbles, walls of rubble masonry, and a roof constructed of wooden planks.
The practice of digging shaft tombs was a widespread phenomenon with prominent examples found in Mycenaean Greece (i.e. Grave Circle A and Grave Circle B) and in Bronze Age China.
Mycenaean shaft graves originated and evolved from rudimentary Middle Helladic cists, tumuli, and tholos tombs with features derived from Early Bronze Age traditions developed locally in mainland Greece. Middle Helladic burials would ultimately serve as the basis for the royal Shaft Graves containing a variety of grave goods, which signified the elevation of a native Greek-speaking royal dynasty whose economic power depended on long-distance sea trade. The depth of Mycenaean shaft tombs would range from 1.0 m to 4.0 m with a mound constructed for each grave and stelae erected.
Bronze Age China
Shaft graves were utilized by elites from the Shang Dynasty (or Yin Dynasty) of northern China.
- ^ Pedley 2011, p. 86.
- ^ a b Kipfer 2000, "shaft grave", p. 508.
- ^ Dickinson 1999, pp. 103, 106–107.
- ^ Dickinson 1977, pp. 53, 107; Dickinson 1999, pp. 97–107; Anthony 2007, p. 48.
- ^ Komita 1982, pp. 59–60.
- Anthony, David W. (2007). The Horse, the Wheel, and Language: How Bronze-Age Riders from the Eurasian Steppes Shaped the Modern World. Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press. ISBN 0-691-05887-3.
- Dickinson, Oliver (December 1999). "Invasion, Migration and the Shaft Graves". Bulletin of the Institute of Classical Studies 43 (1). pp. 97–107. doi:10.1111/j.2041-5370.1999.tb00480.x.
- Dickinson, Oliver (1977). The Origins of Mycenaean Civilization. Götenberg: Paul Aströms Förlag.
- Kipfer, Barbara Ann (2000), Encyclopedic Dictionary of Archaeology, New York: Springer, ISBN 0-306-46158-7
- Komita, Nobuo (1982). "The Grave Circles at Mycenae and the Early Indo-Europeans". Research Reports of Ikutoku Technical University (A-7): 59–70.
- Pedley, John Griffiths (2011). Greek Art and Archaeology. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall. ISBN 978-0-20-500133-0.
Osiris Shaft / Tomb // GizaMap.com // The Giza Geomatrix
The later drill holes at the base must have also been just a few inches in the clear. Hmm!! www.gizamap.com www.richardgabriel.info.
Egypt Shaft Tomb
Pyramids & More - Secrets, Myths and Facts THE "SAND-SHAFT-GRAVE-SYSTEM" (Egypt, since 1.200 BC) Detailed explanation of a "SHAFT TOMB". Inconceivable, what ...
1,500 year old shaft tomb discovered in Colima, Mexico Mail Online
Ancient children and animal remains found in Mexican tomb
Subscribe to ITN News: http://bit.ly/1bmWO8h Archaeologists in Mexico made an exciting discovery this week, after uncovering a 1500-year-old pre-Hispanic sh...
Tomb Raider Anniversary - Central Shaft Survivor
Mask of Agamemnon, from shaft grave V, grave circle A, Mycenae, c.1550-1500 B.C.E.
Mask of Agamemnon, from shaft grave V, grave circle A, c.1550-1500 B.C.E., gold, 12 inches / 35 cm (National Archaeological Museum, Athens) Speakers: Dr. Ste...
Tomb Raider 2013 PT24 Elevator Shaft Puzzle Storm Chaser Walkthrough Lets Play (HD)
This is My Tomb Raider Walkthough Let's Play! if you enjoy, please subscribe! My Tomb Raider 2013 Complete Walkthrough Playlist here: http://www.youtube.com/...
Remains of children and dogs found in ancient Mexican tomb News
Archaeologists in Mexico say they have unearthed a 1500-year-old pre-Hispanic tomb with the sculpture of a long-faced shaman guarding it. The rectangular bu...
Tomb Raider 4 The Last Revelation Walkthrough - Part 23 The Great Pyramid, Khufu's Queens Pyramid
The Great Pyramid Maps: http://imgur.com/a/ASNuO Key Moments: 2:00 - Secret (68/70) 4:35 - Scaling The Great Pyramid 10:55 - Khufu's Queens Pyramid 12:37 - A...
Let's Play Tomb Raider (2013): Part 35 "The Elevator Shaft"
In which we face a rather perplexing vertical puzzle. Part 36: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqZrZ-rt2OU This video contains video game walkthrough footage ...
We're sorry, but there's no news about "Shaft tomb" right now.
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about Shaft tomb with people all over the world in our discussions.