|SMK Damansara Utama
Damansara Utama High School, PJ
berfikir asas kebijaksanaan
|Petaling Jaya, Selangor,, Malaysia|
|Type||Government coeducational half-boarding secondary school|
|Principal||Puan Hjh. Norsham bt. Baharuddin|
|Grades||Form 1 - Form 5|
Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Damansara Utama (SMK Damansara Utama/Damansara Utama High School/SMKDU/SMDU) is a secondary school situated in Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia. It was awarded the Cluster School of Excellence status in 2009 by the Malaysian Ministry of Education for its excellent achievements in school management and student achievement.
The construction of the school began in 1987 and was completed in December 1988. The school officially opened to its first batch of students on the 3rd of January 1989.
- "Berfikir Asas Kebijaksanaan": printed in black, emphasizes the importance of thinking skills to succeed.
- Paddy : the staple food of Malaysians that guarantees health and well-being of students.
- Year 1989/1409: the opening of SMK Damansara Utama.
- Flaming torch: symbolizes courage, firmness and discipline that is instilled in SMKDU.
- A betel leaf,
- The colours of the school emblem are the colours of the Malaysian flag.
- The book, three circles and a serrated wheel shows the determination and perseverance of the students of SMK Damansara Utama in gaining knowledge to achieve success.
The school anthem was written by three students who were among the pioneer batch. The song was launched and rendered by the schools first choir on its first Parents Day.
Berfikir Asas Kebijaksanaan, by Grace Yeong, Ng Sook Wah and Cynthia Lim
Di sini kami ditunjuk ajar penuh keyakinan
Belajar berusaha bersama-sama ke arah kejayaan
SMKDU sekolah kami sekolah kami cintai
Majulah bersama penuh semangat
Bersatu teguh bercerai roboh
Marilah kita bersatu padu
berfikir asas kebijaksanaan.
Here we are taught with confidence
Learning to work together towards success
SMKDU is our school the school that we love
Let's move forward together in high spirits
Together we stand divided we fall
To be an example
To think is the basis of wisdom
- 1992-1993 : Encik Mokhtar bin Taib
- 1993-1995 : Allahyarham Haji Mohamad bin Haji Taib
- 1995-2005 : Pn. Hajah Salmah binti Mat Isa
- 2005–2011 : Puan Hajah Norsham binti Haji Baharuddin
- 2011–present: Puan Zulaika A Rahman
Titled Memori, it is published yearly.
SMK Damansara Utama's website is www.smkdu.edu.my .
As of 2007:
- Block A (Aktif): main office, the printing room, the Lounge, and 'Bilik Kebal',
- Block B: classroom turned Bunga Raya Room, a computer lab, a science lab, a bookshop, the prefects room, the Koperasi, the APD room, the library and the meeting room (Bilik Wawasan),
- Block C; the old Chemistry, Biology and Physics labs. On the second level, there are the new Chemistry, Physics and Biology labs as well as an SPBT room turned classroom,
- Block D: form 1 classes (anggerik, cempaka, dahlia, teratai, kenanga, orkid, kiambang, mawar, melati) and a Scouts den,
- Block E: four Form 2 classes, the staff room, the SPBT room, two science labs, toilets and a St. John/PBSM room,
- Block F: remaining four Form 2 classes, five form 5 classes, a counseling room, a disciplinary room, a cooking room (Living Skills), a Sports Store room and an Arts room,
- Block G: the remaining form 5 classes, an electrical workshop (Living Skills), two carpentry workshop (Living Skills), toilets and a media room.
- There are hostels for students who live far from school. Some of the students are under a government program and thus live in the hostels.
- A wide variety of food is sold at the school canteen.
- The school hall is where most of the school functions are held.
- The Surau is where students pray when they cannot make it home in time or for use during religious classes. It is located next to the hall.
There is a new two floored computer lab.
The majority of the students graduating will attend colleges (namely Taylors, Sunway, Help, INTI or TARC), continue on with Form 6, or pursue further studies at local matriculation centres. Students have gained admission to universities including Harvard University, Yale University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Oxford University, Cambridge University, and the London School of Economics.
- Sekolah Kluster Kecemerlangan Kementerian Pendidikan Malaysia
- Anugerah Sekolah Harapan Negara - Runner Up
- The Young Entrepreneur(YE) program won the Best Company and Best Report award in 2010.
- Students use the term DUrians to refer SMK Damansara Utama students. This tradition was started in 2003, by the Class of 2004, as the Young Entrepreneurs (YE) company's name was DUrians. Coincidentally, DUrians also refer to the King of fruits which Malaysia is famous for.
- The students come in earlier than working people. The first bell rings at 7.20 a.m. and the call is made at 7.15 a.m. indicating the students to be ready at the assembly area. Classes start at 7.30 a.m. During this time of the day, music and poetry is played in the school compound by the AEC club
- The first batch of students in this school were invited from mainly two primary schools i.e. SRK Damansara Utama and SRK Damansara Jaya. Students who did not opt to join SM Damansara Utama mostly continued their studies at SMK Damansara Jaya. For this reason, the students from both high schools compete in sport and academic subjects.
- In 2008, the former Senior Assistant (until 2007), Datin Norizan was promoted to Principal of SMK Damansara Jaya (retired in 2010).
- Classrooms for Secondary 1-3 (lowerclassmen) are named after flowers (Anggerik, Cempaka, Kenanga, etc.) and classrooms for Secondary 4-5 (upperclassmen) are named after hardwood trees (Belian, Jati, Meranti etc.).
- Rafidah Abdullah - 3R, UNICEF Ambassador,
- Hunny Madu - television host, radio DJ and actress,
- Rehana Emilia Dom Ami - Malaysian paintball champion Team Zealous,
- Kyrel Imran Dom Ami - Malaysian paintballcChampion Team Zealous,
- Dina Salled - Malaysian Idol 1st runner up,
- Rahimi Osman - ex-political aide to Anwar Ibrahim - later joined Malay Nationalist Party, UMNO
- Ibrahim - ex political aide to a Malaysian Member of Parliament,
- Nabil Jan al-Jeffri - Formula One Junior,
- Zulfadli bin Zulkifli - National badminton player,
- Estranged (band) - Malaysian Indie band,
- Soo Wincci - Miss World Malaysia 2008,
- Ng Hui Lin - National badminton player,
- Ng Hui Ern - National badminton player,
- Ong Boon Kuan - Creator of Kayangan Saga, MSC Malaysia Kre8tif! Industry Awards 2010 winner,
- Toi Siew Ee - National tennis player,
- Toi Sieu Minn - National tennis player,
- Lee Jo-rynn - National basketball player.
- Official Website - http://www.smkdu.edu.my
- Prefectorial Board 99/00 - http://members.tripod.com/~DUPrefects/index-2.htm
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.