|• Total||205.54 km2 (79.36 sq mi)|
|Elevation||27 m (89 ft)|
|• Density||850/km2 (2,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Area and population are for the entire Salepur block.|
Salepur (also known as Salipur)(ସାଲେପୁର) is a town in the district of Cuttack, and the headquarters of the Salepur block. It is situated near the bank of river Chitrotpala, 25 km from the city of Cuttack and 55 km from the state capital Bhubaneswar.
The name Salepur is primarily derived from the combination of two words viz. sali (Paddy) and Pur (Place). It is due to the reason that Salepur belt is one of the largest producers of Paddy in the State of Odisha because of its highly fertile soil
By Road: Salepur is well connected to all the nearby cities and towns by roads. SH-9A connects it to NH-5 which connects to Calcutta and Madras. Besides SH-9A also connects to the nearby cities/towns like Cuttack, Kendrapara, Patamundai, Rajnagar, and Aul.
By Rail: The nearest major railway station at Cuttack is well connected to most of the cities both within and outside the state, which include New Delhi, Calcutta, Madras, Bhubaneswar, Puri, Vizag, Hyderabad, Agra, Guwahati, and Bangalore.
By Air: The nearest airport at Bhubaneswar (1 hour drive) is one of the major internationl airports in eastern India, and is being upgraded to International standard by 2010.
- Major Highway: 9A (Cuttack - Salepur - Kendrapara - Chandabali)
- Major Railway Station: Cuttack (25 km)
- Nearest Airport: Biju Patnaik Airport (60 km)
- Nearby Cities/Towns: Cuttack (25 km W), Chhatia (20 km N), Kendrapara (25 km E)
The cuisine is specific Oriya food. But this place has the recognition in the field of sweets which are widely prepared and mouth watering delicious.
Rasagolla made by Bikalananda Kar is one of the prime attractions here and also Odisha famous. Canned rasagollas from Salepur are exported to different parts of Odisha, India and abroad. Other Oriya confections, such as Chhena Poda, and Rasaballi are sold here.
Places of interest
- Temples: Kulia Hanuman Temple, Kalagni Temple, Saheshwari Temple,Sidheswar Temple, Bateshwara Temple, Visheshwara Temple, Gangeswar Shiv temple, Garuda Temple, Jadedeswar temple near badapokari Talapada, Chateswar Temple, Krishna Pur
- Scenic beauty: Chitrotpala river bank, Kadamkanta jungle.
Asia's second largest and India's largest siphun-cum-bridge is in Salipur.
- Fairs and festivals: Munsi Melana (Dola Jatra),
Salipur Bali Yatra(near chitrotpala river bank), Car festival at Saheshwari Temple, Utkal Utsav on 1 April near Sishua Syphon over river Chittotpala, Dusserah, Lakshmi Puja (Manabasa Gurubar), and Kaali Puja, Deepavali, Raja Parba, Saraswati Puja, Ganesh Puja, Bali Yatra ,Pana Jatra/Patua Jatra at Gangeswar Temple near Raisungra etc.
- Salipur College, Institute Pharmacy & Technology, a pharmacy college of Odisha
- Ekram Rasul High School, Salipur High School, Salepur Girl's High School, Sarswati Sishu Bidya Mandira, Salipur English medium school,j Salipur Public School, st. Xavier, etc.
- Technical institute in sweets (ITI in sweets) and other ITI centers
- Jamia Markazul Uloom Sungra (Muslim University)
Notable people born in Salepur
Current MLA from Salepur (GE) Assembly Constituency is Prakas Chandra Behera of Indian National Congress, who won the seat in State elections in 2014 against Prasanta Behera of (Biju Janta Dal). Other previous MLAs from this seat were Rabindra Ku Behera of INC who won this seat in 1995, and Mayadhar Shethi who had won this seat representing INC in 1985 and representing INC(I) in 1980.Rabi Kar is one of the good politicians of Salepur . Lulu Mahapatra Present Youth congress president, and former College president Mr. Hassan are upcoming congress leaders Jairampur is an old & popular village in salipur area. Prabina Kumar Kanungo is a renowned Advocate in Odisha High Court.
- "State Elections 2004 - Partywise Comparison for 41-Salepur Constituency of Odisha". Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-09-18.