||This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (January 2012)
Ronald Shannon Jackson (born January 12, 1940) is an American jazz drummer.
Jackson was born in Fort Worth, Texas, where he attended I.M. Terrell High School. He is notable for his unusual approach to his instrument, which draws as much inspiration from military and parade bands as traditional jazz drumming. He is the only person to have recorded and performed with the three prime shapers of free jazz: pianist Cecil Taylor, and saxophonists Ornette Coleman and Albert Ayler.
In 1979, he founded his own group, the Decoding Society, playing what has been dubbed free funk: a blend of funk rhythm and free jazz improvisation.
With Sonny Sharrock, Peter Brötzmann, and Bill Laswell, Jackson was a member of the quartet Last Exit. In 1987 he co-founded the groups Power Tools (with guitarist Bill Frisell and bassist Melvin Gibbs) and SXL (with Laswell, violinist L. Shankar, Senegalese drummer Aiyb Dieng, and Korean percussion group SamulNori); in 1988 he and Laswell teamed with Japanese saxophonist Akira Sakata in the trio Mooka. He has also recorded with Charles Tyler (Jackson's first recording date), James Blood Ulmer (Jackson was an original member of Ulmer's band Music Revelation Ensemble), Billy Bang, Albert Mangelsdorff.
His most recent tours included performances in Europe with Wadada Leo Smith and John Lindberg on one hand, and with Melvin Gibbs, Joseph Bowie, Vernon Reid, and James Blood Ulmer on the other.
As leader 
- Eye on You (About Time, 1980)
- Nasty (Moers Music, 1981)
- Street Priest (Moers, 1981)
- Mandance (Antilles Records, 1982)
- Barbeque Dog (Antilles, 1983)
- Montreux Jazz Festival (Knit Classics, 1983)
- Pulse (Celluloid, 1984)
- Decode Yourself (Island, 1985)
- Taboo (Venture/Virgin, 1981–83)
- Earned Dream (Knit Classics, 1984)
- Live at Greenwich House (Knit Classics, 1986)
- Live at the Caravan of Dreams (Caravan of Dreams, 1986) AKA Beast in the Spider Bush
- When Colors Play (Caravan of Dreams, 1986)
- Texas (Caravan of Dreams, 1987)
- Red Warrior (Axiom, 1990)
- Raven Roc (DIW, 1992)
- Live in Warsaw (Knit Classics, 1994)
- What Spirit Say (DIW, 1994)
- Shannon's House (Koch, 1996)
(dates are recording, not release)
As sideman 
With Last Exit
- Köln (ITM, 1986)
- Last Exit (Enemy, 1986)
- The Noise of Trouble (Enemy, 1986) with guests Akira Sakata and Herbie Hancock
- Cassette Recordings 87 (Celluloid, 1987)
- Iron Path (Virgin, 1988)
- Headfirst into the Flames: Live in Europe (Muworks, 1989)
- Japan Concerts (Celluloid, 1988)
With Music Revelation Ensemble:
- No Wave (Moers, 1980)
- Music Revelation Ensemble (DIW, 1988)
With Power Tools:
- Strange Meeting (Antilles, 1987)
- Live in Japan (Terrapin/Sony Japan, 1987)
- Into the Outlands (Celluloid, 1987)
- Albert Ayler: At Slug's Saloon, vols. 1&2 (ESP, 1966)
- Albert Ayler: Holy Ghost: Rare and Unreleased Recordings (Revenant, 1962–70)
- Ornette Coleman: Dancing in Your Head (A&M, 1973, 1975)
- Ornette Coleman: Body Meta (Artists House, 1975)
- Bill Laswell: Baseline (Elektra Musician, 1982)
- Cecil Taylor: The Cecil Taylor Unit (New World, 1978)
- Cecil Taylor: 3 Phasis (New World, 1978)
- Cecil Taylor: One Too Many Salty Swift and Not Goodbye (hat Hut, 1978)
- Charles Tyler: Charles Tyler Ensemble (ESP, 1966)
- James Blood Ulmer: Are You Glad to Be in America? (Rough Trade, 1980)
- James Blood Ulmer: America: Do You Remember the Love? (Blue Note, 1986)
- John Zorn: Spillane (Nonesuch, 1986–87)
External links 
Ronald Shannon Jackson - Live at the Knitting Factory, 1999
Live at the Knitting Factory, 1999.
"Deluge" by Wayne Shorter ~ Ronald Shannon Jackson at The Kessler Theater in North Oak Cliff, Texas
"Jazz at The Kessler" with Ronald Shannon Jackson and the Decoding Society. Recorded live on July 7, 2012 at the historic Kessler Theater in X+/North Oak Cli...
"Bloodlife" ~ Ronald Shannon Jackson in North Oak Cliff, Texas
Recorded live on July 7, 2012 at the historic Kessler Theater in X+/Dallas, Texas. Melvin Gibbs on bass guitar, Gregg Prickett on electric guitar, Leonard Ha...
Ronald Shannon Jackson - This Groove Hea'r
music speaks louder than words.
Ronald Shannon Jackson - The Trio Live in Germany - Night Blues
The Trio Live in Germany The Trio: James "Blood" Ulmer Jamaaladeen Tacuma Ronald Shannon Jackson.
Ronald Shannon Jackson - In Every Face
Track 4 on Ronald Shannon Jackson's Red Warrior album (1990, Axiom). Ronald Shannon Jackson (drums), Jef Lee Johnson (guitar), Stevie Salas (guitar), Jack De...
Ronald Shannon Jackson and the Decoding Society Green , Here To.wmv
From the Shannon Jackson lp "When Colors Play" , This tune is titled "Green , Here To Go" Written by Ronald Shannon Jackson Ronald Shannon Jackson - Drums Er...
Ronald Shannon Jackson - The Beast - Live in Paris, France - Rennes Jazz Festival
Live in Paris, France - Rennes Jazz Festival The Decoding Society: Jef Lee Johnson - Guitar Ramon Posser Bass Conrad Mathieu - Bass Jack Desalyo - Guitar Ron...
Powertools // Ronald Shannon Jackson - Bill Frisell - Melvin Gibbs ~ When We Go
Sept. 3, 1988 Stadtgarten-Koln, Germany Ronald Shannon Jackson - Drums, Bill Frisell - Guitar, Melvin Gibbs - Bass.
Ronald Shannon Jackson with Cecil Taylor Unit live at the Black Forest - "The Eel Pot" 1 of 2
From the album "Live In The Black Forest" (USA, 1978). The members : Cecil Taylor (p), Raphe Malik (tp), Jimmy Lyons (sax), Ramsey Ameen (vln) Sirone (b) and...
Fri, 26 Apr 2013 04:01:40 -0700
As a member of Power Tools, with bassist Melvin Gibbs and drummer Ronald Shannon Jackson, he recorded the brilliant 1987 album, “Strange Meeting.” But on his more recent albums, the guitarist has pursued a more accessible sound that connects the ...
Music Indistry News Network
Tue, 07 May 2013 19:43:30 -0700
... supergroup from the ʻ80s featuring Bill Laswell, Sonny Sharrock, Peter Brotzman and Ronald Shannon Jackson). An intoxicating invocation that escalates in intensity over the course of its 27 minutes, "Accuser" kicks off the collection in tumultuous ...
Tue, 21 May 2013 09:01:44 -0700
På ønskelista stod gitaristen Elliott Sharp med over 35 års erfaring fra de fleste av musikkens grenseland: frijazz, rock, blues og støy blant annet og funksjefen Melvin Gibbs som har ei heftig fortid i band som Defunkt, Ronald Shannon Jackson & The ...
Thu, 02 May 2013 04:59:55 -0700
Han fikk sitt internasjonale gjennombrudd i 1988 med utgivelsen "Mooko" sammen med Bill Laswell og Ronald "Shannon" Jackson. Etter dette har han gjort mange prosjekter med internasjonal suksess. Han samarbeider ofte med folkemusikere fra ...
Regiomusik das Musikportal
Regiomusik das Musikportal
Thu, 02 May 2013 21:08:53 -0700
Der Bassist Melvin Gibbs arbeitete während der 1980er Jahre meist in der Decoding Society des Schlagzeugers Ronald Shannon Jackson, u.a. mit Vernon Reid, aber auch in Jacksons Projekt Power Tools, dem auch der Gitarrist Bill Frisell angehörte.
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about Ronald Shannon Jackson with people all over the world in our discussions.