The Roland MC-505 is a groovebox conceived in 1998 as a combination of a MIDI controller, a music sequencer and a drum machine, and also has some of the prime features of synthesizers: arpeggiator, oscillators, voltage-controlled filter, control of attack, decay, sustain and release. It was released as the successor to the Roland MC-303 and is a compact version of the Roland JX-305 Groovesynth without the full set of 61 keys. It is also the predecessor to the Roland D2, Roland MC-307, Roland MC-909 and the Roland MC-808.
The key features of the MC-505 are:
- 64 voice polyphonic digital subtractive synthesis engine (derived from the Roland JV-2080) with 251 different oscillator, acoustic and drum sample waveforms
- 512 built-in preset sounds, 256 user sounds & 26 rhythm sets (includes the Roland CR-78, TR-808, TR-606, TR-909, TR-707 and R-8)
- 8-track MIDI sequencer + Mute Ctrl Track
- Recording length of up to 32 bars per pattern
- 714 preset sequencer patterns, 200 user patterns, 50 user songs
- 3 multi-effect units: Reverb, Delay and 24 different EFXs
- Infrared D-Beam controller for hands-free sound modulation
- MEGAMix function for intuitive realtime mixing of beats and patterns
- 5 volt Smartmedia card slot for doubling user patch and pattern memory
The Roland MC-505 has no sampler. The size of the LCD screen makes it difficult to read each feature setting, and over time the LCD screen would lose pixels (which in some cases renders the screen unreadable; this is called "display bug" by some users). This issue is due to the heat on the LCD screen-PCB board, the lamination between the crystal and the PCB is opening/splitting up from the little heat inside the Roland MC-505 from prolonged use. Roland has fixed this by updating the LCD screen component.
MC-505 PDF Manual Links:
- Roland US Corporation, MC-505 site and files.
- Roland MC-505's discussion Group Forum, at Yahoo! Groups
- Roland MC-505 FAQ v.1.041
- Sound on Sound review
- "Roland MC505 - next up from the mc303 comes the 505 - same thing, more power". - (Dancetech.com "A London, UK Independent Product Reviews site". - Date: March 16, 2000)
- At Home With the Groovebox - Compilation of artists using only the MC-505 featuring Beck, Air, Sonic Youth, Pavement, Jean Jacques Perrey, Gershon Kingsley, Cibo Matto, Sean Lennon and others. Released in 2000 by Grand Royal.
Roland MC-505 Deep\Dub Techno
Time to upload some new patterns with Roland.
Roland MC- 505 Groovebox walk through part 1
Roland MC- 505 Groovebox walk through part 1.
Roland MC-505 "first Steps" by moonbooter
visit me at: www.moonbooter.com www.mellowjet.com I filmed the first song I composed on the Roland MC-505 about two years ago. So I called it "first Steps". ...
MC-505 groovebox beginners tutorial
step record, realtime record, realtime erase, recording the arpeggiator, copy and paste bars.
Roland MC 505 Promo Video (1998)
Enjoy this old school product promo video from Roland circa 1998! Check out our inventory of new, used, and vintage gear! http://www.perfectcircuitaudio.com ...
Roland MC-505 Oldschool groovebox sounds, live performance
mc505 groovebox roland sequencer.
Roland MC-505 Electronic Track
Fluorescentix Part 1, its my electronic track made with only Roland MC-505 Groovebox (originally i make this track in 1998 year after the bought my first MC-...
Amusing Roland MC-505 / MC-303 Promo Video Edit
Here is a video I created using segments of a Roland promo video they released sometime in the late 90's.
Roland MC-505 groovebox Norphies first live performance
Hi, I like to make tracks on the MC505 Groovebox from Roland. (hip-hop, breakbeat, techno, electro) (written by Edwin Noort)
Minimal Acid House on Roland MC-505 by Enformig
Fri, 26 Sep 2014 07:20:59 -0700
By his 15th birthday, Steven's cousin had bought him a Roland MC-505 groovebox and a school friend gave him a lend of a R.A.W. mixtape (listen below) from the L.A. drum and bass scene. His musical landscape changed, and an inner beatmaker began to ...
Mon, 15 Sep 2014 00:01:03 -0700
He hijacked his cousin Oran's synthesizers and messed around with those, and, worried about his music being overwritten, Oran eventually bought Ellison a Roland MC-505 Groovebox. While this solidified Ellison's love for making beats and afforded him ...
About - News & Issues
Sat, 28 Jun 2014 19:02:19 -0700
Lady Starlight performed an extended mix of electronic dance sounds on her Roland MC-505 that provided some moments of inspiration but lasted far too long. Finally, an extensive gap between opening acts and Lady Gaga's stage appearance followed.
Fri, 20 Jun 2014 00:50:14 -0700
The track was produced by MIA on her Roland MC-505, originally intended for her mate Justine Frischmann's band Elastica. You may remember them best for their 1995 hit 'Connection'. The song's accompanying music video, with art direction by MIA, shows ...
Sat, 08 Feb 2014 11:59:14 -0800
When Chicago-native producer David “D.A”. Doman traded in his Roland MC 505 Groovebox for an MPC in his sophomore year of high school, he had no idea he would go from being a local Chicago amateur beatmaker to lacing the beat for Young Money's ...
Wed, 03 Apr 2013 23:56:38 -0700
Hace tiempo que Roland no no sorprende con algo como esto. Looper específico para Beat Box de Roland MC-505. RC-505 Loop Station Introduction by Dub Fx Tienda online de instrumentos y sonido. www.Djmania.es. Read moreShow less · Translate.
Mon, 25 Nov 2013 08:56:17 -0800
So I saved up and bought a Yamaha A3000 sampler, a Roland MC-505 and a Yamaha CS6R. I had this hardware and I needed something to control it… That's when I first started using Cubase, because it gave you a bit more MIDI controllability compared to ...
Tue, 09 Oct 2012 07:52:03 -0700
I hear you were the one who encouraged her to play around with the Roland MC-505. She was a filmmaker then, but she was a huge hip-hop fan. And I like to encourage people to express themselves in whatever form they like. I feel like people are more ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.