|Reading, Blue Mountain and Northern 425 |
On the point of an excursion at Jim Thorpe
|Builder||Baldwin Locomotive Works|
|Build date||January 12, 1928|
|Gauge||4 feet 8 1⁄2 inches (1,435 mm)|
|Driver diameter||69 in (1.753 m)|
|Boiler pressure||210 lbf/in² (1.45 MPa)|
|Cylinder size||22 × 28 in (559 × 711 mm)|
|Tractive effort||35,156 lbf (156.38 kN)|
|Railroad(s)||Gulf, Mobile and Northern, Gulf, Mobile and Ohio, Louisiana Eastern Railroad, Valley Forge Scenic Railroad, Reading, Blue Mountain and Northern Railroad|
|Number in class||1st of 2|
|Number||425, renumbered 580 in 1940, LE #4|
|Retired||1950 (from GM&O)|
|Restored||2007 (by RBMN)|
|Current owner||Reading, Blue Mountain and Northern Railroad|
|Disposition||Currently stored in Port Clinton, Pennsylvania undergoing repairs, & Later Restored 2 Circus World Service Which The New York Penn Station Had Now Became The Circus World Locomotive Restoration Shops in Baraboo, Wisconsin!|
Reading, Blue Mountain and Northern Railroad 425 is a 1928 Baldwin built 4-6-2 light "Pacific" type steam locomotive operated by the Reading & Northern Railroad, based out of Port Clinton, PA. The locomotive has gone through numerous railroads, numbers and paint schemes over the years.
Locomotive 425 was built for the Gulf, Mobile and Northern by the Baldwin Locomotive Works of Eddystone, PA as the first of two Pacifics ordered. The engine later became Gulf, Mobile and Ohio 580. It was retired in 1950.
Quickly after retirement, it was purchased by Paulson Spence as part of his Louisiana Eastern Railroad. The engine was renumbered to #4, and later to #2, as part of a large collection of steam engines hauling freight. It was purchased in 1962 by Malcolm Ottinger and became the main power of the Valley Forge Scenic Railroad of Kimberton, PA, where it also regained its original number. In the 1970s, it was Leased to Brian Woodcock and moved to the Wilmington & Western Railroad, though it never operated on the line. In 1983, it was sold to Andrew J. Muller, Jr. to power tourist trains on the newly formed Blue Mountain and Reading Railroad based out of Temple, PA. The engine made many runs on this 26 miles shortline, as well as a few trips on the mainline. The high-stepping Pacific was later joined by Reading 2102 in 1987. The Blue Mountain & Reading became much larger with the purchase of nearly 300 miles of former Conrail trackage throughout the early 1990s. The railroad was renamed to Reading, Blue Mountain and Northern (often shortened to Reading & Northern). In 1995 both names officially Merged. Having more track gave 425 and 2102 a large amount of new areas to roam, and the engines became based out of the railroad's own headquarters of Port Clinton. 
On June 12, 1992 the 425 was painted into its most recognizable appearance with a dark blue paint scheme. Inspired by the Reading Company's own blue painted Pacific (not, contrary to popular belief, the Central Railroad of New Jersey's Blue Comet ), the locomotive's blue made it a distinct stand out. The idea came to Mr. Muller to paint 425 in dark blue by former Reading Company Engineer Charles W. Kachel. The locomotive was a featured guest at the Steamtown National Historic Site Grand Opening in July 1995, and made a number of excursions out of Scranton. The locomotive returned to Port Clinton in late 1996. 425's last excursion was the Tamaqua Fall Fest on October 13, 1996. From 1997 - 2008 is when steam operations took an extended break.
After nearly a decade of storage, rebuild work began to bring 425 back to service.  Following two years of restoration, the Pacific made its first operation under steam in December 2007 in a partially repainted appearance. Another test run was done on May 11, 2008 where the engine debuted in a new lighter blue color and an above-centered headlight. It made its return to excursion service in June 2008 on a round trip from Port Clinton to Jim Thorpe, a run it would make often. The RBMN's new star made many trips to Jim Thorpe and other locations over the next three years, with employee runs, tourist trains on the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway, and a featured attraction of the 2010 NRHS Convention.
After three successful seasons of excursions, Reading & Northern 425 was placed in storage for 2011 for unconfirmed reasons. With steam engines being the complex machines they are, it is assumed that a new amount of repairs are required to bring the engine back to regular operation. Repairs included the rebuilding of her pilot and trailing trucks by the Strasburg Rail Road along with converting them from plain bearings to more efficient roller bearings, rebuilding of her air compressor, a new blower and replacing the bottom part of the smokebox. Repairs were completed in late August of 2013 and were followed by a few days of testing. 425's first public outing after her overhaul was a return to Steamtown for the first time since 1996 for its annual Railfest. While at Railfest 2013, 425 did not run but was on display under steam near the entrance to the park. After Railfest had concluded, 425 headed to Jim Thorpe and pulled excursions on the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railroad on Labor Day Weekend.
The Reading & Northern runs regular tourist trains on the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway and other special excursions over scenic portions of the line, but all are currently led with the railroad's fleet of modern freight diesels.
- "Gulf, Mobile and Ohio 425". Steam Locomotive Information. Retrieved 25 April 2012.
- "Reading, Blue Mountain and Northern 425".
- Bost, Chris. "TrainOrders Thread". Retrieved 25 April 2012.
- "Reading, Blue Mountain and Northern 425".
- "Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway". Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- Steam Locomotive Info page for 425
- Steam Locomotive.com Info on GM&N 4-6-2s
- History of the Reading and Northern Railway
- Train Orders thread about 425, including source of blue paint choice
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.