Railway network(interactive version)
1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in) gauge, 1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in) gauge
Dar es Salaam railway station in 1973.
Rail transport in Tanzania is conducted by two companies:
Railway links with adjacent countries
- Burundi - no - proposed 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in)
- DR Congo - decades ago there was a train ferry between Kigoma and Kalemie, in 2007 there are no ferry links and the DR Congo line to Kalemie is defunct because of a collapsed bridge. Break of gauge: 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in)/1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)
- Kenya - yes - 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in) same gauge, but the link between Moshi and Voi has not operated for many years.
- Malawi - no - break of gauge 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in)/1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)
- Mozambique - no - break of gauge 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in)/1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)
- Rwanda - no - proposed 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) 
- Uganda - yes - same gauge - via train ferry from Mwanza to Port Bell or Jinja.
- Zambia - yes - 1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)
The central line between Kigoma and Dar es Salaam carries international freight and passengers in transit from Burundi, DR Congo and Rwanda to the Indian Ocean, and the branch from Tabora to Mwanza carries freight and passengers between Uganda and the Indian Ocean.
- ^ Railways Africa - STANDARD GAUGE FOR RWANDA
- Robinson, Neil (2009). World Rail Atlas and Historical Summary. Volume 7: North, East and Central Africa. Barnsley, UK: World Rail Atlas Ltd. ISBN 978-954-92184-3-5.
Media related to Rail transport in Tanzania at Wikimedia Commons
Rail transport passengers complain inefficient services.
Passengers travelling by Tanzania railway limited-- TRL, train from Dar es salaam to Kigoma region have complained about frequent delayed departures from Tab...
Tanzania-Zambia Railway Trip
Tanzania-Zambia Railway Trip.
Tanzania and China railway, “Tazara Railway” History Retraced
Tanzania and China have been reflecting on their shared history, and they've been retracing it through a Chinese-built railway project. Here's Vauldi Carelse...
The minister for transport Dr. Harrison Mwakyembe has expressed dissatisfaction on rehabilitation of coaches at Tanzania-Zambia railway authority's- workshop...
Tazara and DRC Congo sign rail transport agreement.
Tanzania Zambia railway authority TAZARA and railway corporations of Zambia and the democratic republic of Congo, have signed an agreement to improve cargo t...
1960s, Construction of Tanzania to Zambia Railway, Chinese and African Workers, Rare Archive Footage
From the Kinolibrary archive film collections. To order the clip clean and high res or to find out more visit http://www.kinolibrary.com. Clip ref AB69 EXT C...
1960s, Chinese Surveyors Plot Tanzania to Zambia railway Route, Rare Archive Footage
From the Kinolibrary archive film collections. To order the clip clean and high res or to find out more visit http://www.kinolibrary.com. Clip ref AB69 Chine...
Tanzanian Railway, Dar esalam to Pugu, Nov 05.wmv
Tanzanian Railways class 29 no2927 working a train from Dar-es-salaam to Soga in October 2005.
Tazara, Zambia - Tanzania / Webdoc Africa Express
Africa Express, le Tour d'Afrique des énergie en train ! http://webdoc.africaexpress.org Le Tazara relie Kapiri Mposhi en Zambie, à Dar es Salaam en Tanzanie...
1980 Zambia & Tanzania, By Tazara Train, From Kapiri Mposhi, To Dar es Salam, by HabariSalam, VHS01
DAR es Salam, aussi écrit Dar Es Salam ou Dar es Salaam (en kiswahili Dar es Salaam, en arabe : دار السلام, Dār as-Salām, « Maison de la Paix ou Havre de Pai...
Mon, 27 Oct 2014 19:10:20 -0700
DAR ES SALAAM (Reuters) – Tanzania and Zambia plan to inject $80 million to bail out a jointly owned railway firm suffering from decades of under-investment, the company said on Tuesday. The 1,860 km (1,155 mile) railway is a key route for copper ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.