Railway network(interactive version)
1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in) gauge, 1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in) gauge
Dar es Salaam railway station in 1973.
Rail transport in Tanzania is conducted by two companies:
Railway links with adjacent countries
- Burundi - no - proposed 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in)
- DR Congo - decades ago there was a train ferry between Kigoma and Kalemie, in 2007 there are no ferry links and the DR Congo line to Kalemie is defunct because of a collapsed bridge. Break of gauge: 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in)/1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)
- Kenya - yes - 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in) same gauge, but the link between Moshi and Voi has not operated for many years.
- Malawi - no - break of gauge 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in)/1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)
- Mozambique - no - break of gauge 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in)/1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)
- Rwanda - no - proposed 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) 
- Uganda - yes - same gauge - via train ferry from Mwanza to Port Bell or Jinja.
- Zambia - yes - 1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)
The central line between Kigoma and Dar es Salaam carries international freight and passengers in transit from Burundi, DR Congo and Rwanda to the Indian Ocean, and the branch from Tabora to Mwanza carries freight and passengers between Uganda and the Indian Ocean.
- ^ Railways Africa - STANDARD GAUGE FOR RWANDA
- Robinson, Neil (2009). World Rail Atlas and Historical Summary. Volume 7: North, East and Central Africa. Barnsley, UK: World Rail Atlas Ltd. ISBN 978-954-92184-3-5.
Media related to Rail transport in Tanzania at Wikimedia Commons
Rail transport passengers complain inefficient services.
Passengers travelling by Tanzania railway limited-- TRL, train from Dar es salaam to Kigoma region have complained about frequent delayed departures from Tab...
The minister for transport Dr. Harrison Mwakyembe has expressed dissatisfaction on rehabilitation of coaches at Tanzania-Zambia railway authority's- workshop...
Tazara and DRC Congo sign rail transport agreement.
Tanzania Zambia railway authority TAZARA and railway corporations of Zambia and the democratic republic of Congo, have signed an agreement to improve cargo t...
Tanzania-Zambia Railway Trip
Tanzania-Zambia Railway Trip.
1960s, Construction of Tanzania to Zambia Railway, Chinese and African Workers, Rare Archive Footage
From the Kinolibrary archive film collections. To order the clip clean and high res or to find out more visit http://www.kinolibrary.com. Clip ref AB69 EXT C...
Tazara, Zambia - Tanzania / Webdoc Africa Express
Africa Express, le Tour d'Afrique des énergie en train ! http://webdoc.africaexpress.org Le Tazara relie Kapiri Mposhi en Zambie, à Dar es Salaam en Tanzanie...
Tanzania Railways Dar commuter train
departing Dar es Salaam city station at 1600 for Ubungo on 21 March 2013.
1960s, Chinese Surveyors Plot Tanzania to Zambia railway Route, Rare Archive Footage
From the Kinolibrary archive film collections. To order the clip clean and high res or to find out more visit http://www.kinolibrary.com. Clip ref AB69 Chine...
NAZI FOR SALE @ Kisaki Train Station, Tazara Railway, Tanzania
("NAZI FOR SALE") By the way, the word "NAZI" in Kiswahili (Suaheli) means "COCONUT" in English ;-) Which is better. Because otherwise the price of 400 Tanza...
1980 Zambia & Tanzania, By Tazara Train, From Kapiri Mposhi, To Dar es Salam, by HabariSalam, VHS01
DAR es Salam, aussi écrit Dar Es Salam ou Dar es Salaam (en kiswahili Dar es Salaam, en arabe : دار السلام, Dār as-Salām, « Maison de la Paix ou Havre de Pai...
We're sorry, but there's no news about "Rail transport in Tanzania" right now.
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about Rail transport in Tanzania with people all over the world in our discussions.