|Quillayute Needles National Wildlife Refuge|
IUCN category IV (habitat/species management area)
|Location||Clallam, Jefferson counties, Washington, United States|
|Nearest city||Forks, Washington|
|Area||300 acres (120 ha)|
|Governing body||U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service|
Quillayute Needles National Wildlife Refuge is a 300-acre (1.2 km2) National Wildlife Refuge. It is the central refuge of the three (along with Flattery Rocks and Copalis) which make up the Washington Maritime National Wildlife Refuge Complex, a group of 870 islands, rocks, and reefs extending for more than 100 miles along Washington's coast from Cape Flattery to Copalis Beach. These islands are protected from human disturbance, yet are close to abundant ocean food sources.
They are a vital sanctuary where 14 species of seabirds nest and raise their young. During migration the total populations of seabirds, waterfowl, and shorebirds may exceed a million birds. Sea lions, harbor seals, sea otters, and whales may also be seen around the islands.
The refuge was originally created as Quillayute Needles Reservation on October 23, 1907, by an executive order from Theodore Roosevelt. It encompassed the islands off the Washington coast between latitudes 47° 38′ North, and 48° 02′ North. It was renamed by a presidential proclamation on July 25, 1940. In 1966, James Island was removed from the refuge by the U.S. Department of the Interior and returned to the Quileute when the island was discovered to be part of the Quileute Indian Reservation.
The refuge is within the boundary of Olympic Coast National Marine Sanctuary and Olympic National Park, and except for Destruction Island is also incorporated into the Washington Islands Wilderness. The three agencies cooperate on research programs and other issues that may have impacts on the resources.
See also 
- "Quillayute Needles National Wildlife Refuge". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey.
- "Annual Report of Lands Under Control of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service". www.fws.gov. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. September 30, 2010. Retrieved December 15, 2011.
- Executive Order 705, October 23, 1907.
- Proclamation 2416, July 25, 1940. Mentioned in the citations in the National Wildlife Refuge Administration Act.
- Removed by Public Land Order 4095, September 19, 1966, according to Comprehensive Conservation Plan/Environmental Assessment, Chapter 1, page 1-8.
|This article related to a protected area in the state of Washington is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.