||This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (September 2012)
Purism, referring to the arts, was a movement that took place between 1918–1925 that influenced French painting and architecture. Purism was led by Amédée Ozenfant and Charles Edouard Jeanneret (Le Corbusier). Ozenfant and Le Corbusier created a variation of Cubist movement and called it Purism.
Amédée Ozenfant was the creator (along with Le Corbusier) of Purism. In Susan Ball's book, Ball explains that Purism was an attempt to restore regularity in a war-torn France post World War I 
L' Esprit Nouveau
Ozenfant and Le Corbusier ran an art magazine called L’ Esprit Nouveau spanning from 1920–1925 that was used as propaganda towards their Purist movement 
The Purist Manifesto is worth mentioning because it helps describe rules that Ozenfant and Le Corbusier created to govern the Purist movement.
- Purism does not intend to be a scientific art, which it is in no sense.
- Cubism has become a decorative art of romantic ornamentism.
- There is a hierarchy in the arts: decorative art is at the base, the human figure at the summit.
- Painting is as good as the intrinsic qualities of its plastic elements, not their representative or narrative possibilities.
- Purism wants to conceive clearly, execute loyally, exactly without deceits; it abandons troubled conceptions, summary or bristling executions. A serious art must banish all techniques not faithful to the real value of the conception.
- Art consists in the conception before anything else.
- Technique is only a tool, humbly at the service of the conception.
- Purism fears the bizarre and the original. It seeks the pure element in order to reconstruct organized paintings that seem to be facts from nature herself.
- The method must be sure enough not to hinder the conception.
- Purism does not believe that returning to nature signifies the copying of nature.
- It admits all deformation is justified by the search for the invariant.
- All liberties are accepted in art except those that is unclear.
- ^ a b c d e TextBall, Susan (1981). Ozenfant and Purism: The Evolution of a style 1915–1930. Ann Arbor, Michigan: UMI Research Press. p. 213.
- Ball, Susan L. Ozenfant and Purism: The Evolution of a Style 1915–1930, Ann Arbor; UMI research Press, 1981. Print
Mon, 28 Jul 2014 18:18:45 -0700
Extremism is a version of Islamic purism and purism is by the book of those who interprets it, armed with guns, rockets, bombs and sundry explosive devices. In the early years of Boko Haram for instance, Buhari seemed to be in the good book of the Boko ...
The Portland Mercury (blog)
The Portland Mercury (blog)
Mon, 28 Jul 2014 11:04:46 -0700
It's clear the team put a ton of thought into the bike, and it's a beautiful piece of work (if you can get over your blasted purism and embrace the atypical frame). The truth is, though, most bikes don't need very much maintenance as is. I'm not sure ...
Mon, 28 Jul 2014 11:11:15 -0700
SAP brings some of this on itself with an insistence that customers don't care about multi-tenant purism or how much cloud operations cost SAP on the back end. I got a different picture today, hearing from technical representatives among the SAP ...
Wall Street Journal
Wall Street Journal
Wed, 23 Jul 2014 11:33:45 -0700
His almost fanatical purism, she said, motivated her to distill ocean waves down to a basic shape. (Though Breach Candy's stitching nods to Ms. Krish's Indian heritage, she likes to point out that Matisse was also a fan of antique Indian phulkari ...
Mon, 21 Jul 2014 04:08:40 -0700
... and less concerned with maximising their profit margins than delighting the punters. The difficult bit is hanging on to the purism, and resisting the lure of easy money. Tower 42, 25 Old Broad Street, London EC2N 1HQ 020 7877 7703; citysociallondon ...
Thu, 17 Jul 2014 21:10:53 -0700
They are all clamoring for an ideological purism that is divorced from reality. Basically they are against the 99 percent of the American people. At the present time, the destroyers of the American dream start with Speaker John Boehner, who is the do ...
New Haven Register
Wed, 16 Jul 2014 14:16:20 -0700
Answers to this question vary, and range from philosophic purism – I do not know a client is guilty or not, the jury decides that, to idealism – the state must be checked at every step, lest it grow too large, to bold, too aggressive, to the detriment ...
Mon, 14 Jul 2014 08:43:45 -0700
It's very much an evening about improvisation rather than Purcell purism. Jaroussky goes no further than occasional moments of vocal embroidery, though the players add extra variations to Purcell's ground basses and take his music off into territory ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about Purism with people all over the world in our discussions.