Punicalagin is an ellagitannin, a type of phenolic compounds. It is found in forms alpha and beta in pomegranates (Punica granatum), in Terminalia catappa and Terminalia myriocarpa, and in Combretum molle, the velvet bushwillow, is a plant species found in South Africa. These three genera are all Myrtales and the last two are both Combretaceae.
Punicalagins are the largest molecule found intact in rat plasma after oral ingestion and were found to show no toxic effects in rats who were given a 6% diet of punicalagins for 37 days. Punicalagins are also found to be the major component responsible for pomegranate juice's antioxidant activity.
Punicalagin is water soluble and has high bioavailability. They are known to hydrolyze into smaller phenolic compounds such as ellagic acid in vivo where one potential mechanism is hydrolysis across the mitochondrial membrane of cultured human colon cells.
It is a highly active carbonic anhydrase inhibitor.
- ^ Marzouk, M. S. A.; El-Toumy, S. A. A.; Moharram, F. A.; Shalaby, N. M.; Ahmed, A. A. (2002). "Pharmacologically Active Ellagitannins from Terminalia myriocarpa". Planta Medica 68 (6): 523–527. doi:10.1055/s-2002-32549. PMID 12094296.
- ^ Asres, K.; Bucar, F.; Knauder, E.; Yardley, V.; Kendrick, H.; Croft, S. L. (2001). "In vitro antiprotozoal activity of extract and compounds from the stem bark of Combretum molle". Phytotherapy Research 15 (7): 613–617. doi:10.1002/ptr.897. PMID 11746844.
- ^ Cerda et al. Eur J Nutr. 2003 Jan;42(1), pp. 18-28
- ^ Cerda et al. J. Agric. Food Chem. 2003, 51, pp. 3493-3501
- ^ Gil et al. J Agric Food Chem 2000 48 (10), pp. 4581-4589
- ^ Seeram et al. Clin Chim Acta. 2004 Oct;348(1-2), pp. 63-68
- ^ Larrosa et al. J Nutr Biochem. 2006 Sep;17(9), pp. 611-625
- ^ Satomi, H.; Umemura, K.; Ueno, A.; Hatano, T.; Okuda, T.; Noro, T. (1993). "Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors from the pericarps of Punica granatum L". Biological & Pharmaceutical Bulletin 16 (8): 787–790. doi:10.1248/bpb.16.787. PMID 8220326.
- Acetonyl geraniin
- Emblicanin A and B
- Galloyl pedunculagin
- Helioscopinin B
- Lagerstannin A, B and C
- Nupharin A, B, C, D, E and F
- Phyllanemblinin A, B, C, D, E and F
- Roburin E
- Rugosin E
- Sanguiin H-5
- Stenophyllanin A, B and C
- Tellimagrandin I and II
- Terflavin A and B
- Tergallic acid
- Tergallic acid dilactone
Sun, 20 Jul 2014 13:26:15 -0700
The three compounds that the researchers found are punicalagin, punicalin and ellagic acid. Kumar, who analysed the fractionated extract for contents and compounds, said, "We found that the three compounds were the principal ones present in the ...
Mon, 14 Jul 2014 11:00:00 -0700
Researchers at Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore, have found three compounds in pomegranate (punicalin, punicalagin and ellagic acid), which suppress the activity of the research in the area of host-virus interactions have helped developing ...
Mother Nature Network
Mother Nature Network
Wed, 16 Jul 2014 10:37:30 -0700
... continue to find more health benefits from this amazing fruit. A compound found only in pomegranates, called punicalagin, benefits heart and blood vessels. It also lowers cholesterol and blood pressure and helps heart blockages (atherosclerosis ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about Punicalagin with people all over the world in our discussions.