It sits on the edge of Mt. Washington (Grandview Avenue at Sweetbriar Street) on the westernmost end of Grand View Scenic Byway Park, of which it is a part, and the Grand View Scenic Byway, a designated Pennsylvania scenic byway.
The park is named for a landmark public sculpture in bronze by James A. West, "Point of View". The piece depicts George Washington and the Seneca leader Guyasuta, with their weapons down, in a face-to-face meeting in October 1770, when the two men met while Washington was in the area examining land for future settlement along the Ohio River.
Before the dedication of the park in October 2006 by mayor Luke Ravenstahl, it had been known by locals as "Photography Park" because of its popularity with tourists who perched on the concrete overlook taking pictures of the cityscape below.
- Diana Nelson Jones (2006). Point of View sculpture installation: story from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved May 12, 2007.
|This Pittsburgh-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|