|Produced by||Samantha Lewis, Joone|
|Edited by||Joey Pulgadas|
Pirates (also known as Pirates XXX'x') is a pornographic action-adventure film produced by Digital Playground and Adam & Eve. Released in 2005, it stars Jesse Jane, Carmen Luvana, Janine Lindemulder, Devon, Jenaveve Jolie, Teagan Presley, and Evan Stone. The film was directed by Joone and features many references to the mainstream Hollywood film Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.
The producer stated in an interview that Pirates was the most expensive pornographic film made to date, with a reported budget of well over 1 million U.S. dollars and featuring unusually high production values for a pornographic film.
In 1763, Captain Edward Reynolds is hunting pirates, or at least trying to do so. He does not consider himself a great commander, and neither does most of his crew. Only his first officer Jules believes in him. When they save a young woman named Isabella from drowning, she tells them that her husband's ship has been destroyed by the feared Captain Victor Stagnetti and his crew of cutthroat pirates.
Reynolds and his crew go hunting for Stagnetti, who tries to find a map that leads to a powerful secret on an island somewhere in the Caribbean Sea. Stagnetti finds the secret "staff" unlocked by Isabella's husband Manuel.
After the crew escapes the spawn of darkness summoned by Stagnetti, their ship engages Stagnetti's in battle, ending Stagnetti's reign as a pirate.
- Jesse Jane as Jules
- Carmen Luvana as Isabella
- Janine Lindemulder as Serena
- Devon as Madelyn
- Teagan Presley as Christina
- Evan Stone as Captain Edward Reynolds
- Tommy Gunn as Captain Eric Victor Stagnetti
- Austyn Moore as Angelina
- Jenaveve Jolie as the Pirate Dancer
- Steven St. Croix as Marco
- Kris Slater as Manuel Venezuela
- Nhan as Wu Cho
The production was shot using high definition digital video cameras and featured over 300 special effects shots. It also included an original music score, later released on a separate soundtrack CD, and was mastered in Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound. Several scenes were shot on board the Bounty II, a replica of HMS Bounty, in St. Petersburg, Florida. The owners of the ship were not aware of the true nature of the film as they were advised that the film being made was a "Disney-type pirate film for families", a mistaken notion that would continue in video stores after its release.
The film was initially released as a three-disc DVD set (the movie on a standard video DVD, the movie again in a high definition (720P) Windows Media format, and a special features disc) priced as high as $70. An edited R-rated version of the film was released on DVD on July 11, 2006. Digital Playground also released an Original Motion Picture Soundtrack CD, a rarity among adult video releases.
Evan Stone reported on the extra DVD that there was going to be a sequel. In January 2007, it was reported that a sequel would be produced, directed by Joone and entitled Pirates II. A first teaser trailer was presented during the 2007 AVN Adult Entertainment Expo in Las Vegas, Nevada.
In March 2008, Digital Playground announced that the sequel would star Belladonna along with Jesse Jane, Evan Stone and many other performers from the first movie, and that it would be released in September 2008.
The second movie was released on September 26, 2008, under the title Pirates II: Stagnetti's Revenge.
RogReviews called it "the most talked about adult movie of the year".
The film set a record by winning 11 AVN Awards (see section below).
The New York Times described the film as "a relatively high-budget story of a group of ragtag sailors who go searching for a crew of evil pirates who have a plan for world domination. Also, many of the characters in the movie have sex with one another."
- Best Video Feature
- Best DVD
- Best Director – Video (Joone)
- Best Actress – Video (Janine Lindemulder)
- Best High-Definition Production
- Best All-Girl Sex Scene – Video (Janine Lindemulder & Jesse Jane)
- Best Special Effects
- Best Actor – Video (Evan Stone)
- Best Music
- Best Supporting Actor – Video (Tommy Gunn)
- Best On-Line Marketing Campaign
- Daniel McGinn (2005-11-28). "Porn: XXX Blue, Spending Green". Newsweek. Retrieved 2007-09-18.
- Talia Ron & Dana Harris (2005-09-14). "'Pirates' pic unbuckled". Variety. Retrieved 2007-09-19.
- "Porn Industry Is No Longer Recession-proof"
- Steve Javors (2006-09-21). "'PIRATES' Opens Pennsylvania Film Festival". XBIZ. Retrieved 2007-08-02.
- Charles Mandel (2007-07-13). "Scandal-ridden Tall Ships arrive in Halifax harbour". National Post. Retrieved 2007-12-21.
- "Famed ship sails in skin flick". Halifax Chronicle-Herald. 2007-05-14. Archived from the original on 2007-05-14. Retrieved 2007-12-10.
- Soft porn lurks on some rental shelves
- Michael Blacky Ritter (2006-02-05). "Pirates XXX WMV-HD-DVD". HDTVTotal.com. Retrieved 2007-10-17.
- David McCutcheon (2006-05-23). "Adult Film Pirates Sails Home With R Rating". IGN.com. Retrieved 2007-08-02.
- Peter Warren (2008-01-07). "Digital Playground Announces Plans For Pirates II". AVN. Retrieved 2009-01-01.
- Bob Preston (2007-01-31). "Digital Playground Releases 'PIRATES II' Teaser". XBiz.com. Retrieved 2007-08-02.
- Digital Playground (2008-03-06). "DIGITAL PLAYGROUND ANNOUNCES BELLADONNA TO STAR IN "PIRATES II: STAGNETTI'S REVENGE"". Retrieved 2008-05-31.
- "DVD Review Pirates". RogReviews.com. July 2005. Retrieved 2007-08-02.
- "A Night to See the Stars Actually Wearing Clothes". The New York Times. 2006-01-10. Retrieved 2009-04-05.
- "Adult Video News Awards 2006". Retrieved 28 August 2015.
- Rhett Pardon (21 April 2006). "Porn Industry Shows Up for XRCO Awards". XBIZ. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- Official website
- Pirates at the Internet Movie Database
- Pirates at AllMovie
- Banned at the U. of MD
- Pirates at Adult Film Database